Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#1 Posted : 10 November 2019 17:41:01(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
As I am faced with the fact of downsizing from a large HO basement layout to something that will fit into a postage stamp sized bedroom in a condo, I am trying to rationalize what out of all of my Maerklin, LDT, Viessmann, ESU, etc. controls I might be able to keep and reuse on a Minitrix N scale layout. I know nothing about Minitrix and assume that it runs on a DCC digital platform. Can a Marklin CS2, MS1 or MS2 be used as a controller or not?

I assume turnouts can still be powered with servos and thus the ESU Switchpilot Servo decoders. I also assume that LDT signal decoders can still be used for Viessmann N scale signals.

Any advice as to what digital controllers should be considered is appreciated, since once again I am starting to feel like a Newbie.

Peter
Offline michelvr  
#2 Posted : 10 November 2019 23:24:48(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Peter,

N scale was my first love in model trains.

The most important aspect in this scale is voltage!

For DC (direct current) N scale it's 12 volts, and for DCC (Digital Command Control) 14 volts.

Can a Marklin CS2, MS1 or MS2 be used as a controller or not?

I would say no as the power supply is somewhere around 18 volts. But is there a lower power supply? That I do not know?

No matter what you read or hear it's 12 volts for DC direct current and 14 volts for DCC.

When it comes to the switch pilots and or any auxiliary electrical equipment I would use a separate power supply.

My advice and I know it's been that way from the beginning when Arnold invented N!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Crazy Harry  
#3 Posted : 11 November 2019 02:41:21(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Some of the MiniTrix starter sets include a MS2 controller so there must be a specific power supply for N Scale usage. Another possible alternative is to use a DigiTrax Voltage Reducer which reduces the output voltage from your current controller configuration by 4 or 6 V before the track, here's the link: DigiTrax Voltage Reducer. I don't have any experience with N-Scale digital or DigiTrax components so you may have to do a little more research.

Cheers,

Harold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline ktsolias  
#4 Posted : 11 November 2019 11:02:17(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Minitrix DCC locos run perfect with CS3 and MS2.
I assume that the same happen with CS2.

Costas
Offline dzug  
#5 Posted : 11 November 2019 20:41:42(UTC)
dzug

Canada   
You can get away with higher DCC track voltages in N as most European decoders (such as ESU) will handle up to 21V just as their HO version will do. I would not not run them at long extended periods at that high voltage though. When I switched to N from Marklin HO over a decade ago, I tried a number of voltages and settled on a good transformer with 15/16v to power my Ecos for N. I have never had a decoder get hot enough at that voltage to do any damage.

If/when you do switch over keep all your electronics and decoders as eventually you will find a use for them! Most are fairly scale independent. Any Marklin command station that can output a DCC signal will be fine with N - I use a ESU ECoS as it actually supports running the Selectrix protocol at the same time as DCC and I do have a couple older Minitrix locos that were only even made in digital in Selectrix (BR85) or were easier to find in selectrix (Swiss Croc).

Feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions - I am only a few minutes from Port Moody.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dzug