Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jay  
#1 Posted : 22 September 2019 10:37:06(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi,I have inherited from my late son a Marklin 8909S mini-club set. Should I use the controller that came with the box or better to go with something else?
The controller number is 37700 and the loco in the set is a BR9906. By all appearances it has not run if ever. I would appreciate any infomation on the set like year of manufacture and precautions that I should take when running it for the first time. Friday the 27th would be his birthday and we(wife and daughter) would like to
run it to still celebrate the day.
Many thanks
Jay
Offline husafreak  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2019 18:22:05(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
HI Jay, sorry for your loss! I can't imagine outliving a child, but my mother did, and she is well.
I see you have posted a bunch but I don't know what scale you run, I only have experience with Z.
In the context of this thread I would point out that characteristics listed in my opening the interactions of the trains and controllers can differ a bit. But we are being pretty demanding here. We are looking for controllers that allow many different locos to crawl along and run smoothly at slow speeds. Due to all the different motors on the market now, gearing, lighting, tire types, this is a tall order and in fact the controller to run them all the same probably doesn't exist. The controller in your set should certainly move your loco just fine.
Now to your train set. I could not find a date of manufacture on the internet. The loco you have is either a 3 or 5 pole motor. The loco I have that matches yours is a 5 pole and one of my best runners. The real issue is whether or not it is gummed up from storage. Marklin used an oil for a long time that would congeal and cause "HOS" or hardened oil syndrome. If your loco has that issue then it will not run or it will run in fits and starts. It is not difficult to clean and oil them yourself but it is a process and it must be done correctly, particularly in the case of timing the running gear. There are shopkeepers that specialize in cleaning Marklin trains, zscalehobo.com here in the USA for instance. There is also a nice "teardown" video on the internet for your loco if you can find it! Also clean the track with iso alcohol on a bit of fabric in case it has corroded, these locos are limited in their electrical contact and benefit greatly from a clean track.
So the danger is that you could set up your train Friday and have it not work properly. And you probably don't want to get bogged down fixing a loco with your family looking on. If you have a knowledgeable dealer or friend with Z scale track I would recommend testing the loco this week, hopefully it runs well, if it doesn't I would bet quite a lot that simply cleaning and re-oiling it would have it running to spec in no time. There is tons of stuff about this Marklin HOS on the internet. Good luck!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Jay
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2019 18:24:37(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Not the same loco but close enough to see what is involved...
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2019 03:06:05(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Sorry for your loss. It would be great to get this running for that special day.

I know a video for this engine would be great but I am not certain which one you have. A photo could be posted. I think it is a black tank steam engine 0-6-0. This is one of the smallest z scale engines they make. This set has been made for years and if it has a wooden looking box it is very early. Here is a link to the Marklin catalogs, perhaps you could locate your set and figure out when it was produced. Remember z scale was released in 1972. Perhaps you could match the engine and cars. I am not certain which language these are in.

http://www.marklincafe.c...%20antiguos/PDF/Marklin/

Try this link for a maintenance page, but sorry it is in German. Towards the bottom is the steamer I believe you have. I believe with Windows you could install a webpage tool which will translate the webpages into English.

http://bautipps.z-kueppe...llgemein/lok-inspektion/

Breaking these small engines down can be challenge and losing a part can be a disaster. It is not impossible to do, most work can be done with a small screw driver.

I have never tried this but I understand there is a loco doctor who sets up a table at the train shows in Germany and cleans the hardened oil out of the locos using lighter fluid. This is done while you stand there and watch. I believe the engine is never taken apart. If you were to try this just keep the lighter fluid on the lower parts of the engine. The petroleum properties of the fluid will dissolve the harden lube. The wheels are where the hardened oil is, and on the gears inside. You might want to remove the body or shell. After cleaning, and drying out, oil needs to be applied to the little gears seen at the bottom. Hope you have some, it is usually provided with the set.

When you are ready to try it out on the track, use the original controller unless it is obvious it is damaged. don’t apply full power and keep it applied. This may burn out the motor. I try short bursts, first in one direction then the other to see if it has been broken free of the hardened oil. On the small engines, there is no light to confirm the power is being applied so be careful.

Best wishes, hope things work out well for you.

Edited by user 23 September 2019 15:52:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Jay  
#5 Posted : 23 September 2019 21:29:32(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Dear Husafreak and d_landen@yahoo.com
thank you both for your compassion. My son and I started out in HO and I'm still in HO although I have not been near the trains since his passing. However whilst clearing out his apartment I came
across this set in Z scale. The postage shows that it was purchased in April 2013 from a A. Schott in Spain. He was big into ebay! I may have got the running number wrong as when I searched Google for that number the image I got is different . Yes this is 0-6-0 and I appreciate the advice and the video in helping me with this little loco. I know we will be chuffed to see it running on the day. Tomorrow I shall
get some iso alcohol or its equivalent and apply same to the gears as described and try to run her. Yes also to the description of the box,it is brown as though dark wood with a picture of the loco pulling a open truck with a walnut as the load and a closed car behind. Unfortunately I do not know how to post pictures. I sincerely apologize for the late reply.

Thank you again good people for taking the trouble to help
Warm wishes
Jay
Offline Zme  
#6 Posted : 23 September 2019 23:51:59(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hey no problem.

I think it important to let you know, no matter how old or how small these Marklin z scale pieces they just keep working.

I am not certain what kind of luck you will have with just alcohol but the stronger the better if you don’t plan a disassembly. Just don’t get rubbing alcohol as it has a component on it which is left behind when it drys. I get those small minty brushes used for between your teeth and come in a variety of width and really clean these small parts good.

This diagram might be useful

https://static.maerklin....1a7427c4791434541745.pdf

Take care
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Jay
Offline husafreak  
#7 Posted : 24 September 2019 04:59:29(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
yes, maybe consider lighter fluid. also a 9v battery or the controller you have with wires directly touching to the wheels will help you determine if the motor is running strong. You will have it running soon, no doubt. I really hope it runs right off the bat though!
Jay
Offline Zme  
#8 Posted : 24 September 2019 17:31:45(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello.

It occurred to me that a controller was not included with some of the early sets. The controller should have a blue housing and say Marklin on it if they were purchased together. Don’t want to exceed voltage limits with an incorrect source.
Offline Carim  
#9 Posted : 24 September 2019 18:51:59(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
The controller should have a blue housing.....

I think Jay already mentioned that it came with the 37700 controller (which is brown) - that is an old Mini Club controller which should be fine (as long as it's in a good state of repair), just not a very granular controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Jay  
#10 Posted : 24 September 2019 22:24:07(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi guys, I had forgotten that today was a public holiday and many stores were closed,so I couldn't get any of the recommended items. I will get them tomorrow for sure.
Carim is right the controller that comes with the set is dark brown and printed on the face : Marklin mini club. Electronic 05. Its also in very good condition. I put a meter to
it and at its maximum speed setting it reads just over 12 V. However when I touch the wheels with the wires and the controller set to 10 V nothing happens. I do not want to
exceed this voltage until I have worked on the loco first which will be tomorrow. d_landen@yahoo.com, yes that is exactly the type of loco this is, thank you also for the link.

Warm wishes
Jay
Offline Jay  
#11 Posted : 27 September 2019 13:39:01(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi all,
I'd like to thank you for the invaluable help with the BR 89006 tank loco. Using the video and the parts breakdown,I was able to strip
the loco totally,give it a thorough clean with iso alcohol using the inter dental brush suggested. This was really one of those cases
where the saying "Do not judge a book by its cover" certainly applies! Because the unit was full of gunge and bent wipers. However
the downside is that because the old eyes are not so good anymore,I broke a coupler and lost its spring. It was a real challenge
working on something so small. I will have to invest in a loupe, so that I don't have that much difficulty.But the reward at the end
of it all was a beautiful running BR 89! Sure it was not that simple(had to strip it a few times) but the effort was well worth it.
Thank you all again
Best wishes
Jay
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Jay
Offline waorb  
#12 Posted : 27 September 2019 17:31:13(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Hello Jay.

Maybe something like this should help. RollEyes

Magnifier

Cheers,

Walter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waorb
Jay
Offline Zme  
#13 Posted : 28 September 2019 05:40:08(UTC)
Zme

United States   
BigGrin Great news!

I should have warned you about those little springs, but I figured you had enough to worry about. The truth is, we all lose those. They seem impossible to locate once they leave your work area and head for the floor. The good news is they can be replaced or if you had a damaged car, you could borrow one. They are all the same.

Next time, before you lose one again, just put a small spot of super glue on the coupler post, and stick the spring on permanently. It works and will help end the frustration of searching the floor for something which cannot be found. Make certain the glue is dry before you reassemble.

Watch the internet for more springs or those wipers. They are still available. Www.marklin.de sells repair parts and likely will ship to your location.

Sweet success is hard to beat.

Maybe now you will take a liking to our small scale. They are treasures!

Best wishes.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Jay
Offline Jay  
#14 Posted : 28 September 2019 09:52:19(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi Walter and d_landen@yahoo.com
Walter thanks for the tip and link, I do have one of those but somethings just have to be held
in hand for the feelBigGrin. But true,I need to get one that has a proper clamp,the
crocodile clips just doesn't cut it.
d_landen@yahoo.com,what a brilliant idea! I am trying to locate the parts,no one in my
neck of the woods has any. Sadly in the past year the few bricks and mortar dealers that
I dealt with have closed shop Crying. So the internet is the option.
An aside: in my test runs I ran the loco without it body and my dear wife passing by
remarked "that looks like an insect!"

Thank you all again
Best
Jay

PS We need to talk controllers again on the other thread. Had to move from that as it was
not relevant to the topic.

Offline husafreak  
#15 Posted : 28 September 2019 21:07:41(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Good job! If you restored that loco then you are officially Z able!
Jay
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#16 Posted : 29 September 2019 12:33:59(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
A trick I was taught is to disassemble these king of things with everything inside a transparent plastic bag. Without doubt this limits how far astray things can go, though the coupling springs are still near impossible to find even when you know they're inside the bag!

Cheers

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Jay
Offline husafreak  
#17 Posted : 29 September 2019 17:19:12(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
LOL, great idea. I have also used a piece of thread through them to help in repositioning them. I wonder if a magnet would hold them?
Offline Jay  
#18 Posted : 29 September 2019 22:11:57(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post
A trick I was taught is to disassemble these king of things with everything inside a transparent plastic bag. Without doubt this limits how far astray things can go, though the coupling springs are still near impossible to find even when you know they're inside the bag!

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris.thank you you for that tip. I will sure use it! What amazes me is the
simplicity of the Marklin design and its durability. As for the springs,I know I placed them
in a white saucer but one disappeared during reassembly.I tried walking on air but I was
still accurate enough to have stepped on it. I take consolation in that I found it on a tiled floor
a similar colour to the spring Huh
Best
Jay
Offline jvuye  
#19 Posted : 29 September 2019 22:38:15(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Jay Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Poor Skeleton Go to Quoted Post

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris.thank you you for that tip. I will sure use it! What amazes me is the
simplicity of the Marklin design and its durability. As for the springs,I know I placed them
in a white saucer but one disappeared during reassembly.I tried walking on air but I was
still accurate enough to have stepped on it. I take consolation in that I found it on a tiled floor
a similar colour to the spring Huh
Best
Jay

Catching this a little late.
Good job Jay!
Just one little additional trick when you take the couplers out and try to save the springs: use a small magnet to pick it up and keep it stored in place while you work on the loco.
Then I use a stainless steel (= non magnetic) very fine pair of tweezers to pick it up and re-install it.
I still loose the springs occasionally...but that's more the exception than the rule!BigGrin
Cheers
Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Jay