Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2019 13:28:07(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
My layout is HO digital on c track laid on MDF boards covered in green underlay. It is totally level, not a track screw in use . I am a hopeless scenic modeller, even my efforts at plastic kits are pretty dreadful but I argue I just love running and watching trains. I would be embarrassed- even if I knew how- to submit photos on this forum, but I do notice that quite a few members have the same “format”. I do have quite a few cardboard Metcalfe models on the layout almost to make a point – this is the station area, this is a brewery, this is an engine shed. They are just placed on the green base – no roads etc. Another reason for my simplistic approach is a very bad habit of mine in having middle of the night moments where layout change is dreamed of and becomes an urgent project when next awake. The last of these occurred quite recently and I cleared most of the Metcalfe structures off the board. On starting to put them back I noticed that quite a few had suffered, the glue not holding and the cardboard beginning to curl. I use as recommended by Metcalfe, UHU solvent free adhesive. The layout is in the dining room of our Edwardian house central heating but old so it does go from extremes of cold to hot. Any suggestions why my only bit of scenics is also now going wrong?
Offline michelvr  
#2 Posted : 14 September 2019 15:53:29(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Rwill,

From one modeller to another I would like to say, Keep Calm and Carry!

What you are experiencing is the effects of the indoor environment when it comes to the extremes of cold to hot, hot to cold. What you need to do is cover your train board with a suitable cover. This way the extremes will be minimized!

When it comes to the condition of Metcalfe kits, if it is worthwhile to save them then rebuild them by taking them apart. My technique it to separate the parts with a very sharp and thin hobby razor. If you are not able to salvage the item and you can afford to buy a new one, buy it again. This time when you are finished with using them put the buildings in a box so that the extremes are minimized! I've done that and it really works well!

By the way I have my special mug and I follow the advise all the time! Don't give up, Keep Calm and Carry!

Sincerely, Michel

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by michelvr