Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2019 15:12:33(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Good morning fellow lovers of model trains,

Recently I have been studying the design and evolution of the humble model train track. Primarily in HO and N scale, from Atlas to Tomix and all manufactures in between. The one pattern that I see with “model tracks” is the realistic appearance in miniature that are truly beautiful to see. Some examples would be the new Peco HO code 75 bullhead track, Kato's n scale unitrack superelevated double track and the very nice Tillig Elite HO track system.

What I’m trying to say is that I’m glad this hobby is still alive and kicking! If you would like to add to my post please feel free to add more thoughts!

Michel
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2019 16:48:58(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Michel,
I remember when Atlas tack other then "Snap Track" was made of fiber board with brass rails stapled on. We've come a long way from that. There was a brand in USA and Canada called Tru-Scale that was a milled wood road bed. It came two ways; the first was as a flat roadbed onto which track was laid or a road bed with the ties and tie plate sawn in. It could be purchased with or without the rail.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2019 21:03:46(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Indeed, its good to see we have come a long way from the very toy like (robust and simple) tracks of the 1930's-50's.

For the British OO scale market, there has been that bizarre state of running on HO scale track. So using HO scale track, the tie spacing was of course HO (1:87), while the cars where (other than wheel spacing) all OO scale (1:76), so those ties looked way too close together. The new track is an attempt to address this issue by making the look more OO scale.

For the ultimate modeler, there is still the hand laying of track and building your own turnouts using copper clad PCB and soldering it using jigs and other tools. That gets you the most realistic looking track, but is a LOT of work, too much for most model railroad enthusiasts.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline michelvr  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2019 21:48:15(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
For the ultimate modeler, there is still the hand laying of track and building your own turnouts using copper clad PCB and soldering it using jigs and other tools. That gets you the most realistic looking track, but is a LOT of work, too much for most model railroad enthusiasts.

Hello Minok,

Hand laying tracks? It's funny that you would say that, Tim Warris the creator of Fast Tracks is relatively close by in Port Dover, Ontario. I have thought about it but haven't given it a go. Maybe I should just try it for the sake of being able to say I’ve made my own turnouts! Tempting.....BigGrin

Never heard of Fast Tracks? Check out his website; https://www.handlaidtrack.com/
Online kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2019 01:06:05(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Michel,
This is a very interesting subject.
I have quite a collection of HO track.
The earliest was made for trainsets around 1923 by the firm Gebruder Bing of Germany.
It was made in two tinplate versions with the built in ballasting similar to either Hornby Dublo or Maerklin.
The first was 2 rails (for clockwork) and the second was 3 rails for electric.

It interests me that the successful built-in-ballast style is still going almost 100 years later.
Fleischmann, Kato, Tomix, Tillig, Maerklin and Roco are some of those who maintain this trend.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 13 September 2019 01:55:04(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

It interests me that the successful built-in-ballast style is still going almost 100 years later.
Fleischmann, Kato, Tomix, Tillig, Maerklin and Roco are some of those who maintain this trend.

Kimball

I believe that is because built in ballast just plain works Kimball, and looks very nice in the bargain.

I have seen many German mainlines with such well maintained ballast that they look exactly like C track. That is good enough for me on a practical basis for most of my lines, but I would love to hand lay some bits just for fun. I will never live long enough to do all of the MRR things that I dream of. Cool

Big move across the continent coming in 18-24 months and then I will have a dedicated train room and get my dream layout rolling.

Life is good. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Michael4  
#7 Posted : 13 September 2019 09:34:38(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
As an aside, who was it who made that copper strip that could be laid under two rail track (with no ballast bed) to convert it to 3 rail stud contact? It was bent in such a way that it would pop up between the sleepers and form the stud contacts.
Offline EMD_GP7  
#8 Posted : 13 September 2019 10:12:54(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
As an aside, who was it who made that copper strip that could be laid under two rail track (with no ballast bed) to convert it to 3 rail stud contact? It was bent in such a way that it would pop up between the sleepers and form the stud contacts.

Peco
SL-17 Stud Contact Strip for Track

https://peco-uk.com/prod...ck?variant=7435672944674

Colin.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline Michael4  
#9 Posted : 13 September 2019 17:40:06(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Thanks, yes that is it. Didn't realise they still made it. Although it works it is no fun...!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 13 September 2019 23:38:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, yes that is it. Didn't realise they still made it. Although it works it is no fun...!

Yeah, it looks absolutely horrible to my eyes, worse than solid centre rail track ... Blink

Offline Michael4  
#11 Posted : 14 September 2019 09:40:36(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Years ago, when I used it, it seemed like a cheap alternative to M track for hidden long straights. Nowadays there is nothing cheaper than M track, indeed some of my track has been free, given to me by kind members of this forum.
Online xxup  
#12 Posted : 14 September 2019 11:02:07(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The evolution of H0 track peaked with M-track and has gone downhill ever since..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Jabez  
#13 Posted : 14 September 2019 18:26:12(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
The evolution of H0 track peaked with M-track and has gone downhill ever since..

Why?Confused
Jabez

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams