Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SavoiePaul  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2019 18:33:01(UTC)
SavoiePaul

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
Restore the startconfig backup to reset it to delivery condition. You can also restore the "Leer" (empty) to reset it to completely empty.

I am struggling to get the new CS3 to do anything. Been trying to get it to recognise 1 mfx Loco but the Stop will not release so I can't get it to operate a loco. I have rebuilt the track layout so that it's reasonably small but at least all tracks are connected properly. But I still get the Stop function locked. I am going insane here!!
I have 2 Mobile Stations and I had no trouble with them however as soon as I had coaches with lights on the MS3 would overload. So I borrowed the money to upgrade to a Central Station 3 but........as I say I can't even get a loco recognised and running. I did think I made a few errors in the set up including accidentally hitting the restore button BUT instead of a factory reset (which is what I expected) it took me to a pre stored list of 4 locos (I think....) 3 of which I don't have and the new 37797 TGV set which it recognised but would not get it to run. It's not as if I am computer illiterate as I have a MSc in Computer Science.
When I rang Marklin Customer Service in Germany the (very) limited advice served no purpose whatsoever in the 3 minutes I was allowed to talk to the Marklin expert. I despair at the lack of any technical support on items that have cost me £3,000. So in desperation I am using this forum in the hope that some kind person will help me get this expensive kit to work.
Fingers crossed, SavoiePaul

Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2019 23:08:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
What are you using as a power supply for the cs3?
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2019 03:55:30(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: SavoiePaul Go to Quoted Post
Restore the startconfig backup to reset it to delivery condition. You can also restore the "Leer" (empty) to reset it to completely empty.

I am struggling to get the new CS3 to do anything. Been trying to get it to recognise 1 mfx Loco but the Stop will not release so I can't get it to operate a loco. I have rebuilt the track layout so that it's reasonably small but at least all tracks are connected properly. But I still get the Stop function locked. I am going insane here!!
I have 2 Mobile Stations and I had no trouble with them however as soon as I had coaches with lights on the MS3 would overload. So I borrowed the money to upgrade to a Central Station 3 but........as I say I can't even get a loco recognised and running. I did think I made a few errors in the set up including accidentally hitting the restore button BUT instead of a factory reset (which is what I expected) it took me to a pre stored list of 4 locos (I think....) 3 of which I don't have and the new 37797 TGV set which it recognised but would not get it to run. It's not as if I am computer illiterate as I have a MSc in Computer Science.
When I rang Marklin Customer Service in Germany the (very) limited advice served no purpose whatsoever in the 3 minutes I was allowed to talk to the Marklin expert. I despair at the lack of any technical support on items that have cost me £3,000. So in desperation I am using this forum in the hope that some kind person will help me get this expensive kit to work.

No offense, but you caught the thread of @twisterdodger. May you please open your own thread? It is not possible to answer two different askers in one topic. But before try a bootloader update. You find it under system/settings and you can go there even your red STOP bar is lightning. But you have to tickmark the button bootloader update first. See page 32 of the manual of the CS 3 about basic settings of the CS 3. If an update is broken, which can happen, nothing is working any longer.

Offline SavoiePaul  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2019 11:12:32(UTC)
SavoiePaul

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Hello, a new 60061 power unit. P

Offline SavoiePaul  
#5 Posted : 22 August 2019 11:44:34(UTC)
SavoiePaul

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

No offense, but you caught the thread of @twisterdodger. May you please open your own thread? It is not possible to answer two different askers in one topic. But before try a bootloader update. You find it under system/settings and you can go there even your red STOP bar is lightning. But you have to tickmark the button bootloader update first. See page 32 of the manual of the CS 3 about basic settings of the CS 3. If an update is broken, which can happen, nothing is working any longer.

PROFUSE APOLOGIES: I have no idea how to start a thread and thought I could join an existing thread. And thank you so much for your advice! Much appreciated, Paul

Edited by moderator 25 August 2019 00:10:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline SavoiePaul  
#6 Posted : 22 August 2019 11:46:16(UTC)
SavoiePaul

United Kingdom   

Hello Alan, I am using a new 60061 power unit, Paul
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 22 August 2019 14:42:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Hello Alan, I am using a new 60061 power unit, Paul

OK, I asked because I had a suspicion you may have been using an ms2 power supply with it, as you hadn't said you also got a power supply.

Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 22 August 2019 18:21:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

... I am struggling to get the new CS3 to do anything. ...

Well yes you confused me, because I regularly do not look on the date of a thread. So I did not realize first the time difference in this thread.

Anyway, did your new CS 3 was working one time since you got it?

I also do have 2 MS 2 with a track box. Then I bought a CS 3+. This was a tremendous step, because used to a MS 2, I had to learn - no to study the CS 3 till today. But I always had and have the possibility, if something is not working well with the CS 3, testing it by the MS 2 with the track box first. This excludes any male function of my layout, when it works by the track box but not by the CS 3.

Then I tested it with a MS 2 connected via the CS 3+ to the layout. Achieving the same results as with the track box, I always know the GFP (Gleisformatprozessor = track format processor - it is the processor creating the digital signals for the layout) in the CS 3 is working too and the layout gets current.
(BTW the track box has a GFP included as well, not the MS 2. This is the great difference to the MS 1).
If this all is working, but the locos are still not running, I realized my unsatisfactory or unknown handling of the software of the CS 3. But for this you do not need a reset for the total CS 3. A partial reset is sufficient. Otherwise you delete to much other individually, personally setted valuable structure in the CS 3. Think at the track plans with all the solenoid articles in there. At a reset all this is gone as well.

In your case I assume that in your system settings something has gone wrong. First I would try the already mentioned bootloader update. Which software version do you have on your CS 3?

After booting a CS 3 you go to system-settings/system(yes this is confusing - me did it too) and not system/network! Then choose CS 3 (and ignore the assistant for this time) and see the menus starting with "shutdown" "restart" etc. Scrolling down you see the bootloader update button, scrolling further down to info, Open it and you see your software version and more information of your CS 3. Mine has the newest version 1.4.1. You shall have this version as well.

The GFP3-1 version is 12.62. You find this under the menue point "TFP3".

Try the bootloader update, but follow the instructions as written in the help section in the CS 3 (the text behind the question mark “?” button). E.g. it is important how you shut down the CS 3 after you have done the update. The various available closing procedures of the CS 3 close various apps in different ways and this has an effect on the software installation. It is like in Windows.Smile

Then inform us about your results, please.
Offline SavoiePaul  
#9 Posted : 22 August 2019 19:48:06(UTC)
SavoiePaul

United Kingdom   

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, it is much appreciated by me! I have tried following your advice but still no luck. I clicked on the Restore button then deleted the loco list (2 not mine) then did another Restore and got it back to original factory settings (I know because when I did the reboot I had to choose language again. This time I didn't do an update and placed a new M 37916 on the track.....but the Stop will not switch off so it will not register the brand new loco. I then removed the CS3 connection and attached my MS3 and it quickly read the mfx details and away it went. Why will the Stop function not switch off, well that's the £3000 question. I am going to try again tomorrow but this time I am going to connect the CS3 to my network via an ethernet cable (my layout is in my garage). I will do an update when CS3 is on the network and see what I can do. I want to give you a HUGE thank you because I always blame myself if anything digital doesn't work for me! It's time for a glass of wine now. I will report back to you tomorrow. Oh by the way have you heard of a CS3 app called Remote CS3? I found it in google play store. I can't test it until I get my CS3 ethernet cable in the morning. I am not optimistic about the app because I bought the the Mobile Station one which is useless if you only have the MS3. Grrrrr. That reminds me, if I were to plug one of my MS3 units into my CS3 could I then use the MS3 to drive the loco? Just a thought. Must get my glass now, very best regards, Paul

Well yes you confused me, because I regularly do not look on the date of a thread. So I did not realize first the time difference in this thread.

Anyway, did your new CS 3 was working one time since you got it?

I also do have 2 MS 2 with a track box. Then I bought a CS 3+. This was a tremendous step, because used to a MS 2, I had to learn - no to study the CS 3 till today. But I always had and have the possibility, if something is not working well with the CS 3, testing it by the MS 2 with the track box first. This excludes any male function of my layout, when it works by the track box but not by the CS 3.

Then I tested it with a MS 2 connected via the CS 3+ to the layout. Achieving the same results as with the track box, I always know the GFP (Gleisformatprozessor = track format processor - it is the processor creating the digital signals for the layout) in the CS 3 is working too and the layout gets current.
(BTW the track box has a GFP included as well, not the MS 2. This is the great difference to the MS 1).
If this all is working, but the locos are still not running, I realized my unsatisfactory or unknown handling of the software of the CS 3. But for this you do not need a reset for the total CS 3. A partial reset is sufficient. Otherwise you delete to much other individually, personally setted valuable structure in the CS 3. Think at the track plans with all the solenoid articles in there. At a reset all this is gone as well.

In your case I assume that in your system settings something has gone wrong. First I would try the already mentioned bootloader update. Which software version do you have on your CS 3?

After booting a CS 3 you go to system-settings/system(yes this is confusing - me did it too) and not system/network! Then choose CS 3 (and ignore the assistant for this time) and see the menus starting with "shutdown" "restart" etc. Scrolling down you see the bootloader update button, scrolling further down to info, Open it and you see your software version and more information of your CS 3. Mine has the newest version 1.4.1. You shall have this version as well.

The GFP3-1 version is 12.62. You find this under the menue point "TFP3".

Try the bootloader update, but follow the instructions as written in the help section in the CS 3 (the text behind the question mark “?” button). E.g. it is important how you shut down the CS 3 after you have done the update. The various available closing procedures of the CS 3 close various apps in different ways and this has an effect on the software installation. It is like in Windows.Smile

Then inform us about your results, please.

... I am struggling to get the new CS3 to do anything. ...

Edited by moderator 25 August 2019 00:03:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline SavoiePaul  
#10 Posted : 23 August 2019 17:05:38(UTC)
SavoiePaul

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Twisterdodger Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everyone,
Having recently added the CS3 to my layout, I have spent much time trying to perfect my track Diagram and assorted turnouts. In my experience, this is not the most user friendly setup. Having said that, I've made many false starts, deleted turnouts and some track components. Now, the question!
Is is possible to do a "Factory Reset" ? Can I erase all previous efforts and put the CS3 back to the original base track settings it came with?
If this is possible, any assistance in walking through the procedure would be greatly appreciated. If it is available in print somewhere, please direct me, I've not yet found such directions.
Thank you,
George

Hello again TEEwolf, I got the factory reset in the CS3 I then put my ethernet cable into CS3, it then prompted me to reboot after update had finished. It is version 1.4. I still get the Stop function stuck on.....So I know the update was done correctly. I am now thinking that the wiring is not right. I know I put the RED wire to the shorter rail connection and the BROWN on the longer one. How do you do your connection? Do you use solder? Or squeeze the clip with tweezers so that they can't slip off? I have used duct tape to stick the wiring to the back of the track but that doesn't work. Any ideas would be of help! Very best regards, Paul ps you are right that it takes time to get these things to work. I recall it took me about 5-6 days to get to grips with the MS3......

How shall a factory reset be possible, if you always get new updates? Do you remember the software version when you bought the CS 3? The only point I see is to repeat the last update, a so called bootloader update. I just wrote about it in my post #5. You should try it too. If you can provide us with more details about your CS 3 would be helpful. But please be aware, the CS 3 can also be broken. Then you have to send it to Maerklin service. Addresses see here. The problem is no English website available for this service.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ervice/reparaturservice/

For the bootloader update please follow the instructions from the help function in the CS 3. This is important to follow them steo by step.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 23 August 2019 17:37:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Hello again TEEwolf, I got the factory reset in the CS3 I then put my ethernet cable into CS3, it then prompted me to reboot after update had finished. It is version 1.4. I still get the Stop function stuck on.....So I know the update was done correctly. I am now thinking that the wiring is not right. I know I put the RED wire to the shorter rail connection and the BROWN on the longer one.

What happens if you don't have any rails connected to the cs3? Can you then get out of STOP mode?

If you can get out of stop mode with the rails disconnected you have a short circuit somewhere in your wiring.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline SavoiePaul  
#12 Posted : 23 August 2019 19:39:51(UTC)
SavoiePaul

United Kingdom   
That's what I was thinking. Looking back I had a great layout in 2005 when I discovered the joys of Marklin. It took me a while to get the 6021 (I think) to work but it was fantastic once I learnt how to use that controller. For reasons beyond my control I was left with 4 different sets and a couple of locos. I was using M track then and I do not remember ever having any 'break in the circuit' problems. I only got back into Marklin 2 months ago and bought C track presuming it was better than M track. Which track do you use?

I am bust at my local community centre this evening as I am a trustee. We run a weekly 'food bank' that gives food away for free. Usually out of date canned foods. It is a shocking mess her in the far north east of england. My 35 year old daughter works for free 1 day a week for the Samaritans telephone line for people who want to commit suicide. So problems with a model train set do not compare with these serious life/death matters. I will set up a new layout tomorrow and try again. My email address is savoiepaul@msn.com so if you send an email to me we can have a dialogue that enables me to attach photos. You are my only hope good man! I will start CS3 with no wiring connectionright now before I have to go out. I think I tried that earlier this week with no luck but will quickly check now. The last week is a blur of frustrations! Kindest regards, Paul ps your english is amazing by the way!!!!

What happens if you don't have any rails connected to the cs3? Can you then get out of STOP mode?

If you can get out of stop mode with the rails disconnected you have a short circuit somewhere in your wiring.

Hello again TEEwolf, I got the factory reset in the CS3 I then put my ethernet cable into CS3, it then prompted me to reboot after update had finished. It is version 1.4. I still get the Stop function stuck on.....So I know the update was done correctly. I am now thinking that the wiring is not right. I know I put the RED wire to the shorter rail connection and the BROWN on the longer one.

Edited by moderator 24 August 2019 23:58:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline TEEWolf  
#13 Posted : 23 August 2019 19:42:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello again TEEwolf, I got the factory reset in the CS3 I then put my ethernet cable into CS3, it then prompted me to reboot after update had finished. It is version 1.4. I still get the Stop function stuck on.....So I know the update was done correctly. I am now thinking that the wiring is not right. I know I put the RED wire to the shorter rail connection and the BROWN on the longer one. How do you do your connection? Do you use solder? Or squeeze the clip with tweezers so that they can't slip off? I have used duct tape to stick the wiring to the back of the track but that doesn't work. Any ideas would be of help! Very best regards, Paul ps you are right that it takes time to get these things to work. I recall it took me about 5-6 days to get to grips with the MS3......

Hello Paul,

first of all, may I help you something about using this forum software?
After pressing the button "replay with quote" on top of the post you want to answer, a new window opens. In this window is on top always the text you are qouting and framed with special codes of the software to seperate the quote from the answer. Also after posting the quote will be highlighted in grey to seperate it from your own text quickly on the first site.

At the beginning of the citation stands a code [quote = "name"."number"]. Then the quoted text. At the end of the citation you see this [ /quote] code (all codes without a blank space inside - this blank was added by myself so the software code does not function).

Please start writing your text after this code [ /quote]. Otherwise your text is within the quote itself. But it makes no sense to put your own text into the quote of another writer. In addition your text is highlighted in grey too and cannot be differentiated between the quote and your own writing. Thanks and sorry for this try of an explanation.BigGrin

Second an answer to your post in my next post, because I just received the message you had posted already again.

ciao

Wolfgang

Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 23 August 2019 20:23:26(UTC)
TEEWolf

Well for both have the same length. But you should look under your C-track. Before every contact plate at the C-tracks you see at one side a R on the other a B. Before I explain it, please look it up in the CS 3 manual here on page 3

https://static.maerklin....85fc4ac1761561699635.pdf

It says "pay attention to the correct polarity"

That's @kiwiAlan mentioned in his post #16. If you have a short somewhere in your layout then the red stop bar cannot be released earlier than you have remedied the electrical short.

BTW in this CS 3 manual you have 6 different languages. But for every language it is the same page number in the manual.
But in the PDF viewer it shows you a different page number. This is the reason I do not refer to the PDF page. I always refer to the CS 3 manual page number. This helps me reading the manual in German, while you can read it in English, Spanish or whatver at the same page.

That's what I was thinking. Looking back I had a great layout in 2005 when I discovered the joys of Marklin. It took me a while to get the 6021 (I think) to work but it was fantastic once I learnt how to use that controller. For reasons beyond my control I was left with 4 different sets and a couple of locos. I was using M track then and I do not remember ever having any 'break in the circuit' problems. I only got back into Marklin 2 months ago and bought C track presuming it was better than M track. Which track do you use?

I use C-track as well. Good you mentioned it, because I wanted to ask you about you tracks already. M track is no longer available at Maerklin, only used parts at Ebay etc.. Also I like C-track better. I can assemble them blind. Because of my "getting older eyes" with M-track (or K-track) this is not longer possible. I still have a lot of M-tracks as well from my railroad time in the 60ties, when I started with a MRR. But the feeder track was easier to attach as now at the C-tracks. But therefore with C-tracks you are much, much more flexible for current feeding than by the M-tracks. Actually every C-track you can use as a feeder track as well.

I am bust at my local community centre this evening as I am a trustee. We run a weekly 'food bank' that gives food away for free. Usually out of date canned foods. It is a shocking mess her in the far north east of england. My 35 year old daughter works for free 1 day a week for the Samaritans telephone line for people who want to commit suicide. So problems with a model train set do not compare with these serious life/death matters. I will set up a new layout tomorrow and try again. My email address is savoiepaul@msn.com so if you send an email to me we can have a dialogue that enables me to attach photos. You are my only hope good man! I will start CS3 with no wiring connectionright now before I have to go out. I think I tried that earlier this week with no luck but will quickly check now. The last week is a blur of frustrations! Kindest regards, Paul ps your english is amazing by the way!!!!

Thank you very much.

Indeed this is an important question.

OK I write you an PN as well - we do not have any hurry.

ciao

Wolfgang
Offline rhfil  
#15 Posted : 23 August 2019 20:30:32(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I use pliers to squeeze the female wire connectors onto the male track connections. They are almost always too loose or too tight. Sad that Marklin no longer makes a c track with plug in connections to avoid all that. You should have an ohm meter to check out your connections. They are pretty inexpensive and can eliminate many problems. I suggest you take one track that is not connected to anything and hook it up by itself and see if the problem still exists. You can even put a lok on it. I found the Marklin book "Running Trains Digitally with the Central Station 3" to be a good source for someone who is just starting out. First though download the CS3 manual and go through that thoroughly. Finally you might look for a local club whose members may help you out.
Offline David Dewar  
#16 Posted : 23 August 2019 23:27:10(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Looks like a short somewhere or a fault in the CS3. You could try the programme track and just connect that. Or as suggested just connect one rail ensuring you have the red and brown wires connected to the right lugs of the C track. As said above get the Marklin book which covers the CS3 and CS3 Plus.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline TEEWolf  
#17 Posted : 23 August 2019 23:28:55(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
I use pliers to squeeze the female wire connectors onto the male track connections. They are almost always too loose or too tight. Sad that Marklin no longer makes a c track with plug in connections to avoid all that

At my MIST some people built with C-tracks their own special current feeding track. They used various technologies from soldering the cables at the pins till using a hot glew to fix it at the C-track. One even has rebuilt the feeder track from Maerklin 24088 for his purpose.
Offline SavoiePaul  
#18 Posted : 24 August 2019 12:13:30(UTC)
SavoiePaul

United Kingdom   
Hello Paul,

first of all, may I help you something about using this forum software?
After pressing the button "replay with quote" on top of the post you want to answer, a new window opens. In this window is on top always the text you are qouting and framed with special codes of the software to seperate the quote from the answer. Also after posting the quote will be highlighted in grey to seperate it from your own text quickly on the first site.

At the beginning of the citation stands a code [quote = "name"."number"]. Then the quoted text. At the end of the citation you see this [ /quote] code (all codes without a blank space inside - this blank was added by myself so the software code does not function).

Please start writing your text after this code [ /quote]. Otherwise your text is within the quote itself. But it makes no sense to put your own text into the quote of another writer. In addition your text is highlighted in grey too and cannot be differentiated between the quote and your own writing. Thanks and sorry for this try of an explanation.BigGrin

Second an answer to your post in my next post, because I just received the message you had posted already again.

ciao

Wolfgang

Hello Wolfgang, I hope this reply is in the right place this time! (No it wasn't and I have had to fix them all.....BDNZ)
Many apologies again. I think I have found the problem. I got a Car Circuit Tester this morning and there is no power coming from the CS3 to the track. My MS3 does. Is there some kind of fuse in the CS3 do you know? Is this post in the right place? Kind regards, Paul J Graham

Edited by moderator 24 August 2019 23:47:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline SavoiePaul  
#19 Posted : 24 August 2019 13:58:10(UTC)
SavoiePaul

United Kingdom   
I have struggled all week to get my new CS3 to work. I thought initially there was a software problem but after 50+ hours and, after acquiring a circuit tester this morning I discovered that there was no power going from CS3 to the track/layout.

This explains the Stop function always being on because it needs track info to start registering locos. So it is a hardware fault in my opinion.

There is no info regarding a CS3 fuse replacement or anything. Can anyone shed any light?

I bought the item on ebay last week and have requested a return but he is refusing to oblige.Mad
Offline David Dewar  
#20 Posted : 24 August 2019 16:04:59(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I presume you also tried the programme track ensuring the wires at both the CS3 and the programme track are connected properly.

Buying from Ebay is always a risk and I don't do it myself although to be fair many do and find it OK. After fully checking the CS3 and the wiring then you can only take it up with Ebay to get a refund as I expect you will not have a warranty. IF you paid a cheap price for the unit then I would be suspicious.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline rhfil  
#21 Posted : 24 August 2019 16:21:57(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Get an ohm/volt meter and check to see if you have power coming out of the CS3. If one of the wires to the track is not connected properly you will not have power to the car. If the female connector was too loose it may disconnect when you turn the track over to connect it.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 24 August 2019 19:27:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I have struggled all week to get my new CS3 to work. I thought initially there was a software problem but after 50+ hours and, after acquiring a circuit tester this morning I discovered that there was no power going from CS3 to the track/layout.

This explains the Stop function always being on because it needs track info to start registering locos. So it is a hardware fault in my opinion.

There is no info regarding a CS3 fuse replacement or anything. Can anyone shed any light?

I bought the item on ebay last week and have requested a return but he is refusing to oblige.Mad

I have not seen an answer in your other thread about what happens when you press the stop button with no track connected.

And please DO NOT START ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE SAME PROBLEM. We do not need it, and it only makes it harder to give advice.

Moderators, can we merge this into the other thread please.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#23 Posted : 24 August 2019 23:36:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
And please DO NOT START ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT THE SAME PROBLEM. We do not need it, and it only makes it harder to give advice.

Moderators, can we merge this into the other thread please.

Well actually, he didn't start the other thread, someone else did.

SavoiePaul appears to have hi-jacked the other thread with his concerns, which is a No No!. I'm not really wanting to spend an hour moving all his posts and the answers to them to this thread, but I guess that's what I'll have to do. Please bear with me.

Also to be fair, TeeWolf did tell Paul to not hi-jack the other thread and to open a new thread, which I guess is why this one has been opened.

Plus, this thread has been put in the wrong sub-forum (how is this 'News for Marklin'?), so will have to move it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline TEEWolf  
#24 Posted : 25 August 2019 02:08:43(UTC)
TEEWolf

If it is a hardware fault, I am not sure yet. I use the CS 3 often in the "dry training" mode. Means I am working on the CS 3 without any connection to the tracks. The red STOP bar can be switched on and off - no problem. I use this mode e.g. when I set up a new screen layout diagram. But did you read the downloaded CS 3 manual? Then you must have seen the CS 3 has two connectors for the layout tracks. One jack is in black. This is the regular one. Another one is in green. This is the one for the program track, but you can use it for your entire layout as well. It only provides it with less current. Which connection did you use? Which jack does not deliver any current to the tracks? Have you tested both jacks? Is your red stop bar released, if you have no connection to the tracks?

You do not need a light, you need power to the trains. BigGrin No, there is no fuse in a CS 3. The electric security is provided through the diameter of the cables. But this is another theme. We talk about at another time. Not yet here, please. You will get totally lost. You should check both connections of the CS 3 to your tracks with a correct polarity first.

I bought the item on eBay last week and have requested a return but he is refusing to oblige.Mad

Why shall he take it back? Only because you have some starting difficulties with the CS 3? We all had and have these problems. BTW where you bought the CS 3 at eBay. Was it a Maerklin dealer and did you get an invoice from him? If yes, than you have an extended guarantee by Maerklin over 5 years instead only the legal requirements of 2 years.