Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kiwiAlan  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2019 16:03:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I'm wondering what coaches to use with my Marklin 39418 E41 374 in its two tone livery.

Marklin list the loco as looking like it was around 1966, and as Era III. I don't know how long it kept this livery.

Reading through the information that comes in it booklet it seems these locos were used for a wide range of duties, from main line express to main line goods, and suburban commuter traffic.

So some thoughts on what to use with it.

I already have the 43867 coach set with the 43868 entertainment car, which are listed as Era IV around 1985, which really seems a bit late, but otherwise may do for mainline use. I also have a extra 42259 Pike Car set that I could use which while listed as Era III around 1958, would still have possibly been around less than 10 years later.

For commuter use some Silberling such as 43897/8/9 which are listed as Era IV around 1975. This could complement last years second Insider 41275 model, and allow two similar trains (one electric, one steam) to have a shuttle service. But another possibility would appear to be the cream/blue 43165/43125/43335 set of centre entry cars that are due out shortly. These are listed as Era IV again, around 1984, so getting rather late again.

Are there any other coach sets anyone would expect to run around the 1966 time frame?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
ONR
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2019 16:26:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
This is my understanding of the E41 class.

The E41 locos were originally designated for main line duties for both freight and passenger, but shortly after introduction they were de-rated due to their lower maximum speed and they stopped being used in express passenger traffic. This is when they stopped painting them in blue and changed to the green livery. They could still be seen on passenger train but not expresses, and of course they carried on being used on freights.

This particular loco is in an experimental livery from 1966, so I would very much doubt that it would have been seen alongside blue and cream coaches which date from later on. Equally it would not have seen service with coaches in 1950s colours.

I believe a common configuration would have been a green E41 with silberlinge coaches. I often run mine in this way.

I hope this helps!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2019 00:02:49(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
This is my understanding of the E41 class.

The E41 locos were originally designated for main line duties for both freight and passenger, but shortly after introduction they were de-rated due to their lower maximum speed and they stopped being used in express passenger traffic. This is when they stopped painting them in blue and changed to the green livery. They could still be seen on passenger train but not expresses, and of course they carried on being used on freights.

This particular loco is in an experimental livery from 1966, so I would very much doubt that it would have been seen alongside blue and cream coaches which date from later on. Equally it would not have seen service with coaches in 1950s colours.

I believe a common configuration would have been a green E41 with silberlinge coaches. I often run mine in this way.

I hope this helps!

Yes , I'd agree with Ray .
This was the period where the DB was experimenting with "more attractive" color schemes for their rolling stock.
The culmination of that effort was the somewhat short lived "Pop" color scheme on passenger trains, which was introduced in 1969 and only really lasted untils 1974
(For example the first Mârklin Z gauge passenger coaches introduced in 1972 were in pop color schemes...)

From memories from these years , when I was regularly spending time in Germany for work, I remember seeing lots of E41s mostly in S-Bahn services .
The lok was equipped with MU control equipment and therefore were perfectly suited for push-pull duties!
It was used in so many ways, I'd say, you can imagine almost anything
In a book I have here, there is a picture of an E41 pulling a TEE train, simply because the E03 planned for the service had broken down , and there was nothing else available!

Enjoy!

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2019 13:55:24(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Silberlingen!

I beleive that the loco was quite versatile, and any smaller consist for a nebenbahn will do. Also freight.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
ONR