Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bryan  
#1 Posted : 02 August 2019 13:37:26(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
crokodile fix.jpg

Dear All

Today I received a 3015 crocodile in for repair and have found a previous factory repair on the loco that does not look good. The customer sent the loco back to Marklin twice 12 months ago and it still does not run correctly. The loco jumps like a kangaroo and seems to have had its wheel shafts replaced. What I do not understand is the chassis has been cut away to replace the axle sleeves. Is this the usual way to replace the axle journals? Also after the customer complained to Marklin about its performance they stated the fault was now with his transformer. Jumps on my analogue transformer as well. It cost him a lot of money to get it twice fixed by Marklin and now it is with me. I will strip it down tomorrow and see if I can see what the jumping is caused by. However I do fear that it is beyond repair looking at what has been done. I do know these locos are aligned on assembly jigs, maybe not used and a cause of the jumping as well.

What I am amazed at is, in a factory repair a hacksaw has been used to repair a beautiful 3015, beyond me really.

David
Online JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 02 August 2019 15:46:47(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Daviid
IMO no hacksaw as it was like this from the start (I think my 3015 looks exactly like this
2 things to check:
- quartering of the wheels so that driving shafts don’t get stuck
- checking the articulation rings position (they must be in the middle)Those rings allow all side mouvements between each bogie and the main frame. If improperly set there will be strain on the geartrain
Cheers
Jean
PS are you sure your loco went all the way to Marklin Germany? They are very meticulous and sometime may refuse to repair if the loco has been “massacred”
I have found that all ccs800 and 3015 have the same cut “hacksaw”
Look here

3015 on ebay
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 02 August 2019 17:26:01(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Yes , I confirm that set up is original.

Now, as JohnJeanB says, putting together a CCS800/3015 is no small job.
It requires lots of patience and precision.

**Perfect** quartering of the drivers is indispensable.
It can be best tested for smooth operation after removing the small transmission shafts to disconnect from the motor and then tested by turning the wheels by hand .
There should be no hard points!

Hard points can come from various sources, including excessive friction on the helicoïdal gears, and misalignement of the drivers , including skipped teeth on the various gears or even lack of lubrication and dirty gears

Perfect centering of the cardan shafts requires a special tool : it just a simple bushing with internal and external diameters corresponding to the driving knuckles and the connecting ring.

I have started rebuilding one myself (once again) and I have taken pictures of the various stages of the process.

Will post this sometimes in the future when completed, but cannot promise it will be "soon"! Wink

Be patient...it will come one day

Edited by user 07 August 2019 10:47:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 02 August 2019 17:35:09(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
One more thing:
Simply remove all the side rods on both sides and test run the loco without them
If it runs smoothly, you know you have to look for angular difference between the drivers.
Just look at the position of the counterweights on the drivers.
Offset between axles could come from improper meshing of the gears, and/or slippage of the drivers on the axles
If you can make a short video of the running loco , I may be able to provide some additional clues;
Good luck
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Bryan  
#5 Posted : 03 August 2019 03:43:49(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear All

Thank you to all for the very detailed replies. I stand corrected, the axle slots are original however they have had a file to them for some reason unknown. I am hoping the erratic behaviour of the 3015 is just something that has worked loose since leaving the factory, as it does perform so badly. I have an optical wheel quartering tool and these are a must have for any wheel alignment jobs. I will take the loco apart and measure all the wheelsets for quartering correctly. Also making the cardan shaft centerings tool suggestion from Jacques, extremely good idea. I will start again on its repair. Across all locomotives I have ever repaired, none ever match the brilliant engineering in this model, it is a special piece.

Regards
David