Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline oranda  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2019 08:00:51(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
My locomotives seem to hesitate momentarily at various places around my layout, at very slow speed the may stop overwise they pass over the spot. To improve matters I clean the track with a micro fibre cloth and sometimes this improves the smooth running.

However there are noticeable small stops and start of the locomotive when travelling at speed and this is also seen as momentary flickering of the front headlights of the locomotive.

My layout is contained on a 3metre x 1metre board fed by a single ms2 line feed. All the points are digital controlled, and I've lighting fed of an m84, some street light LED's also appear to vary in intensity even when no locomotive is running - is this normal - filament bulbs in houses aren't affected.

How can I improve the smooth running of my locomotives? Can I reduce LED flicker?

Thanks
Offline GLI  
#2 Posted : 29 July 2019 03:16:31(UTC)
GLI

Hi oranda

I may not be able to help with the pickup problem, but it would be of assistance if we knew what type of track you use: M track, K track or C track.

Geoff
Offline Ausipeet  
#3 Posted : 29 July 2019 05:24:55(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
I would be inclined to add two or three more power feeds at certein sections of the layout, this might help with stops and slow running in sections and perhaps also reduce light flickering, although from LED's it is strange that they flicker try the extra power feeds and see if that helps.
Offline Troy Yang  
#4 Posted : 29 July 2019 07:24:56(UTC)
Troy Yang

United States   
Dirty locomotive wheels and/or pickup shoes can cause problem like this.
Marklin HO - all eras and everything.
Offline oranda  
#5 Posted : 29 July 2019 09:19:51(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GLI Go to Quoted Post
Hi oranda

I may not be able to help with the pickup problem, but it would be of assistance if we knew what type of track you use: M track, K track or C track.

Geoff

Okay - its all on Märklin C track
Offline oranda  
#6 Posted : 29 July 2019 09:21:38(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Ausipeet Go to Quoted Post
I would be inclined to add two or three more power feeds at certein sections of the layout, this might help with stops and slow running in sections and perhaps also reduce light flickering, although from LED's it is strange that they flicker try the extra power feeds and see if that helps.

Thanks for that - I will try that - I've some track connectors on order. They should be with me later this week :-)
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 29 July 2019 18:01:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi oranda

I think for a good functionning of a medium size layout are needed:
- clean track (I understand you already did) Avoid abrasives which create micro grooves in which the dirt accumulates
- clean pick-up wheels and slider (Isopropyl Alcool or contact fluid) avoid abrasives
- a little bit of running-in (the best of layout when not used becomes aggravating at first use).
Power feeding of tracks for a non giant layout does not play a big role with C Track.
Enjoy trains

Jean