Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 21 July 2019 23:16:57(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good evening everyone, I might be thick or ignorant on the subject but I don't understand what commanding switches digitally means.
I have an ESU SwitchPilot v2, a Marklin m83 decoder and a few Markin decoders that control the motors, the ones that go under the C track ballast.

Everything works fine, don't get me wrong.

I ask myself where is the 'digital' control in all of this?

I could get the motors and the switches to work just as well with the white control boxes.

1) I can see switches on my layout on the ECoS monitor, press with the stylus on the desired switch and change direction.
Big deal I could do this with the white control box as well.

2) Cabling the switch motors to the 2 decoders is identical to the old style connection of the motors to the white control boxes.

I'm not planning in using a PC to run my trains, not interested and not bothered.

I still haven't looked into the possibility of having automatic routing handled by the EcOS, if at all possible.

I can say that connecting the m83 to the EcOS was extremely easy, while connecting the SwitchPilot took me quite some time, next time I'll buy another m83 decoder.

Am I missing something here ?

Thank you and sorry for the weird topic
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 21 July 2019 23:27:39(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I don't know what a switch pilot is but using My CS3 and turnout decoders under the turnout there is no need for wiring to a control box. One click on an event will switch as many turnouts as you wish on a route. I presume that is digital.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 22 July 2019 03:02:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I don't know what a switch pilot is....

In basic terms a Switchpilot is ESU's K83, but the Switchpilot has more functionality than a K83.

Using 7072x control boxes means all turnout/signal wiring has to be run back to a central location. Using K83's or suchlike means wiring only needs to be run as far as the location of the K83.

Once everything is set up, you can have your keyboard panels defined on the central controller and if you use another controller or mobile device with software you can have multiple remote keyboards in various locations (good for a large layout).

You can also setup automation via your controller or a PC.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 22 July 2019 08:26:04(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Good evening everyone, I might be thick or ignorant on the subject but I don't understand what commanding switches digitally means.

Am I missing something here ?

Thank you and sorry for the weird topic

Well...there is difference way to control your layout too.
Commanding switches can been use via analog power too.
All turnouts/signals uses analog power and turnout decoders like m83 and old k83 delivery output analog power to the turnouts/signals.
Commanding switches via digital means only two wires connect to all decoders to control accessories like turnout or and signal.
If you don´t want to waste your money too much on the digital accessories, you can use analog power to control your turnouts via simple control box or own build switchgear.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 22 July 2019 20:39:36(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I have an ESU SwitchPilot v2, a Marklin m83 decoder and a few Markin decoders that control the motors, the ones that go under the C track ballast.

I think "commanding switches digitally" means you send a digital command to the switche's decoder (be it the small one installed under the C track at the switch, or an multi-output decoder like an M83 that is mounted nearby having the analog lines run from the M83 decoder to the switch motor.

The bulk of the distance the signal travels is the digital path such as via the track's digital power feed/loop.

The non digital way would be no decoder at all, with analog push button switches or similar, where the analog switch signal lines (3 of them?) run from the switch all the way back to your switch control panel.

So do you run 3 wires from every switch to your switch panel/controller, or do you run the 2 wire digital signal around the layout and at the switch (or near it) hook up a digital decoder and then run the 3 lines from that a very short distance to the switch motor.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Rwill  
#6 Posted : 22 July 2019 21:37:44(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Couple of years back I considered buying a Noch Heidelberg layout until simple economics overrode such an idea along with the fact it looked quite boring. Nevertheless I used to watch this You Tube film:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kTdcKuPV1Y&t=124s

It used to puzzle me that as you will see the guy had set up all his M83s on the front panel so all the turnouts and signal must have been fully wired back to this panel. Surely as has been suggested you simply wire up clusters of four to the M83's or even better now turnouts and signal with their own individual decoder hidden in the track so very little under board wiring That and the layout control screens on CS2/3 lead to a very good control system before you even think about further IT solutions which are actually fun to operate
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 22 July 2019 23:20:40(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Couple of years back I considered buying a Noch Heidelberg layout until simple economics overrode such an idea along with the fact it looked quite boring. Nevertheless I used to watch this You Tube film:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kTdcKuPV1Y&t=124s

It used to puzzle me that as you will see the guy had set up all his M83s on the front panel so all the turnouts and signal must have been fully wired back to this panel. Surely as has been suggested you simply wire up clusters of four to the M83's or even better now turnouts and signal with their own individual decoder hidden in the track so very little under board wiring That and the layout control screens on CS2/3 lead to a very good control system before you even think about further IT solutions which are actually fun to operate

Yes. Turnout motor and decoder under the turnout and call up on the CS2/3 and no wiring. For me the ideal solution.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#8 Posted : 29 July 2019 18:28:59(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good afternoon everyone, I'm doing what Minok says at the end of his previous post I run the 2 wire digital signal around the layout to the M83 / k83 / ESU Switch Pilot, which are located close to the switches and then I connect the 3 wires from the switch motors.

I still don't get why it is called digital switching though.

At the end of the day, IMO, the M83 / k83 / ESU Switch Pilot, trigger the 4 connected switch motors which are controlled with the same 'old' 3 wires in analog.

So yes I only have 2 long wires, from the EcOS / CS2 / 3, to pull to the desired spot on the layout and I don't need 72720 control boxes thus making wiring easier but these are still not digital switches to me unless I use a 74462 with the cost associated to them.

I'm using a mix of these system on my 'temporary' layout very happily but the term 'digital' for this type of switching is not correct, IMO

Maybe this is more a philosophical question than a practical issue :-)
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 30 July 2019 00:55:24(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I still don't get why it is called digital switching though.

I suspect you are looking too literally for a meaning in the word that does not exist.
While the roots may have been simply to distinguish two methods, the term is more of a brand rather than a true representation of technical non-fiction.

In (1979)1984 Marklin brought out "Multi Train Control" as a tag line with "digital" mentioned as a facilitator. Even then it might have been considered misleading as it was quite possible to control more than one train on a piece of track before the introduction of the Central Unit.
All that marketing was trying to impress on the world was that you could "control MORE aspects and MORE trains MORE easily than before" - but that was too may words.
And , over time, they found that making it even shorter by just calling it "Digital" achieved their sales targets.

Quote:
... but the term 'digital' for this type of switching is not correct, IMO

I wont say I disagree, but neither do I fully agree. I find terms very contextual, and when conversing you have to find a common ground.

As an example, the first time I heard the term "fly by wire" in the same sentence as an airplane, I pictured some jet powered flying fox.

At exhibitions I quite often get asked if the layout is DCC. I consider it important to tease out if they are literally referring to the DCC protocol or using the term as a distinction from their prior "analogue" sic. experience.
8 out of 10 times it is the later.
1 out of 10 it is the blinked insistence that DCC and MM and mFX et al. are mutually exclusive - These guys just want an argument (for free)
1 out of 10 it is a mother(father) picking up a brochure and latching on to marketing terms in the hope they can sound interested, but are really just wanting a train set that works for their children. (My sister made me take the batteries out of the first trainset I gave my nephew because she thought it would "stunt his imagination". I think the flying and jumping trains of Chuggington may be a stretch to far, but "I" am "NOT" the focal point of that discussion)

Quote:
Maybe this is more a philosophical question than a practical issue :-)

It certainly is.

If you wanted to solve the problems of the model railway world, by getting an agreement on language use v literal meaning, you might consider addressing ....
- AC v DC as being different from 2 Rail and 3 Rail
- resolve the branding of the S88-AC and S88-DC
(and THEN bring in "Analogue" and "Digital" over the top of that)
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 30 July 2019 02:06:59(UTC)
TEEWolf

wiring for analogue control a turnout and digital control for running the trains.

wiring for digital control a turnout and running the trains.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#11 Posted : 30 July 2019 09:36:17(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Peter and Clapcott thank you very much for your insight and photos.

The only thing that changes, practically IMO, is the amount of cabling required and the replacement of a 72720 with an M83 / k83 / ESU Switch Pilot.
The wires powering the M83 / k83 / ESU 'Switch Pilot' do not actually send any 'driving' information to the switch control box but just impulses that operate the corresponding attached motors :-)

Now I kind of get it :-)

Tank you