Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rudolf  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2019 09:37:58(UTC)
rudolf

Romania   
Hi everybody. A friend gives me a gift, a Marklin train, model 185 . Please can you explain me the power polarity(the central is plus or minus ?) Thank you very much.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2019 11:09:44(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by: rudolf Go to Quoted Post
Please can you explain me the power polarity(the central is plus or minus ?) Thank you very much.
With most Märklin trains the polarity switches at least 100 times per second, so central will be plus at least 50 times per second and minus at least 50 times per second.

Which ref. number does the loco have? I assume it is a product with a 36xxx or 37xxx ref. number.
Do you have appropriate tracks?
Which controllers do you have?

AC up to 16 V should drive the loco while 24 V will reverse the direction.
Most likely digital operation is also possible, but the supported digital protocols vary.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2019 17:02:52(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Rudolf,

Maerklin models are 3 rail AC. In normal analog operations, the centre rail (slider) is the live and the tracks function as the return. Most modern models with built in digital decoder now function using DC power when used with a digital controller (Central Station/Mobile Station). I do not know exactly how this works, but I don't think it is as simple as saying that the centre rail is + and the rails are -. In addition to the voltage used to power the motors and lights, there is a carrier wave which provides instructions to the decoders.

The Maerklin 185s all belong to the Hobby (36XXX) line with the exception of a few converted Trix models with plastic shells released as 37XXX models.

Do you have other Maerklin models and a transformer? What other equipment/models do you have?
If your other models are 2 rail DC, you probably would want to exchange the AC model for a Trix DC model.

NOTE to Admin: If this topic refers to HO scale models, it should be moved to the appropriate section.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2019 17:08:44(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Most modern models with built in digital decoder now function using DC power when used with a digital controller (Central Station/Mobile Station).
Digital current is not DC and polarity changes a few thousand times per second. There is no separate carrier wave, there is just track voltage that conveys information by changing the polarity at specific intervals.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline rudolf  
#5 Posted : 19 June 2019 17:14:22(UTC)
rudolf

Romania   
Thank yuou very much !!! It is clear to me.
Offline Bones  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2019 07:31:37(UTC)
Bones

Australia   
Dear Rudolf

I think people are being overly technical here whether your dealing with AC or DC you have only a + and - side to the output from any source

With marklin the centre studs are your + Active or live side
and the two rails are - Negative, Neutral, earth or ground or for the classic one none positive

Usually the terms earth or ground are used for houses, buildings and the like because they can be 1 2 or 3 phases

The most important thing is try not to get them confused

You could spend a day discussing the diference between AC and DC characteristics but I presume you weren't asking for that
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2019 09:24:52(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bones Go to Quoted Post
With marklin the centre studs are your + Active or live side
With Märklin 1 and Märklin Z there are no centre-rail studs. And this question is still in the Big scale forum.

Maybe call them "red" and "brown" or "live" and "return". Calling them "+" and "-" makes no sense in digital or AC configurations. People who try to connect LEDs may get confused.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage