Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline frickwg  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2019 19:44:09(UTC)
frickwg

United States   
Question on A Simple Maintenance Task (replace tires), on Marklin 36620

I have a Marklin 36620, a White DB 146.5. It needs new rubber tires. I have spares and have replaced them on other locos many times.

But how to get to them on this unit? If I believe the exploded drawing, then I need to remove the car body, unscrew and set aside the circuit board, disassemble the gear box, drop the trucks to get to them.

Is there a simpler way that I am missing?

I looked and could not find a way to remove just the truck-frames. They are not connected to the couplers and loosened by removing a screw like other models.

Willis,

Willis.frick@cox.net
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2019 22:42:42(UTC)
TEEWolf

RTFM page 36

https://static.maerklin....24c8c2ff231434541979.pdf

Page 39 you see in the spare part list #18 Haftreifen (=traction tire), article #7153.

Well yes you have to remove the boogie encasing (hopefully it is the correct English word for it). But you see it in the picture as well what to remove. But certainly not the complete body. But you need the correct tools, here the tweezer. I do have 6 different types of tweezers in my toolbox.
Offline frickwg  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2019 22:46:39(UTC)
frickwg

United States   
In English it is the truck frame, but how do I get it off????
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2019 23:02:50(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I don't have such a loco but looking t the link TEEWolf provided, it looks like the bogeys just clip off downwards.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2019 00:53:07(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: frickwg Go to Quoted Post
In English it is the truck frame, but how do I get it off????

I would do as @DaleSchultz wrote in his post.

Perhaps you take a fine small screw driver to press the small plastic nub from this plastic part on top in this dash lined field 17 out of this truck frame at the bottom of field 17. All these parts must be detached as you see in the drawing. Then you got to the axles with the traction tires (#18).

But before remove the bogie from the loco by seperating the casing from the frame. Both are fixed together by a screw. Probabely this screw is #6 in the drawing. There I do not have your loco I cannot test it. But just try and I think you do it by yourself easily.

At the explosion drawing it looks like that Märklin does as much as possible using plastic clipping parts for its start-up locos instead mounting and fixing parts with screws. Because I do not see many screws at this rear driving unit. So all parts has to be clipped together. It is one of the new and simple constructed hobby loco, which have a good price/perfomance ratio and overall, it cannot be difficult to dismantle the loco.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 22 June 2019 11:47:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
[...] and overall, it cannot be difficult to dismantle the loco.
Buy such a loco and replace the traction tyre yourself.
It can be hard the first time, but there'll be a steep learning curve.

When you take the truck frame off, then the cardan shaft #15 can (and usually will) fall out of place. Can be prevented by holding the truck in place.
Pay attention to the wheel sliders when putting the wheelset back in place.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 22 June 2019 17:37:44(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
[...] and overall, it cannot be difficult to dismantle the loco.
Buy such a loco and replace the traction tyre yourself.
It can be hard the first time, but there'll be a steep learning curve.

When you take the truck frame off, then the cardan shaft #15 can (and usually will) fall out of place. Can be prevented by holding the truck in place.
Pay attention to the wheel sliders when putting the wheelset back in place.

Always simply delightful to criticize instead of helping the asking member by sharing your knowledge and experience.Cool Thank you. I will do. Oh, perhaps I do have a similar one already. Last night I found a loco BR 185 070-0 from the starter-set 29841 in my railroad yard. Looks similar to the BR 146.5 (36620) Or it will be the BR 147.5 (36638) I am waiting for the new IC 2. But I did and do not have to change traction tyres. So why shall I dismantle it as well? Never change a running system.BigGrin
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 24 June 2019 01:10:17(UTC)
H0

Always simply delightful to criticize instead of helping the asking member by sharing your knowledge and experience.Cool Thank you.
I only have the older versions of the TRAXX loco with the small PCB and thus I do not know if the larger PCB makes replacing the tyres more difficult, but I think it does not.
The drawing in the manual that shows how to remove the body is simply wrong - it is for the plastic body TRAXX locos, not the metal body TRAXX locos.
The drawing that shows how to replace the tyres leaves many questions. I've helped several users to replace the tyres on their TRAXX locos. It's not uncommon that people try, but are scared off.
The model was introduced in 2004. A manual with useful drawings that explains how to replace tyres is somewhat overdue. Until then it can be difficult to replace tyres on this Märklin model.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0