Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2018 18:18:04(UTC)
Goofy

Today i did visit train store and did found that customer do really have problem by use ESU locomotive on the three rail tracks.
The problem are stud contact and contact inside of the locomotive do sometimes hurry up while driving.
ESU should produce locomotive separately dc and ac instead.
The train store told to me that service is bad from ESU.
What do you think about this mess??

Edited by user 26 July 2018 08:19:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2018 19:16:35(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Well as much credit as ESU did get for producing "universal models", the models do have their drawbacks. This is not the first time that I hear about the things not working properly.

Probably the reason why no one else makes trains this way.

I own one ESU model and I can tell you that I will never buy another one. It is not worth the price tag. Flashy, gimicky and not really made to be used. IMO.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2018 21:37:24(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I never have any ESU Locos, Thanks for letting me know Goofy.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 25 July 2018 21:39:06(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
What do you think about this mess??
That's a very suggestive leading question. A typical Goofy question - or should I say non-question.

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
Probably the reason why no one else makes trains this way.
They were not the first and I think they are not the only company doing this.

Are there reliable statistics about the quality of ESU locos?
IMHO they offer good value for the money, even if you do not appreciate all the gimmicks.

Without any reliable statistical data, this typical Goofy non-question will lead to a discussion that is typical in such a case.

I have a few ESU locos and could be tempted to get one of their BR 103 / BR E 03 models.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 25 July 2018 21:58:37(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Oh yes, one customer was heard complaining. LOL

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 25 July 2018 22:53:19(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi!

I have a few ESU locos and could be tempted to get one of their BR 103 / BR E 03 models.

Do you order the ESU BR 103/BR E 03 models? Let it know with review/report soon.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 25 July 2018 23:26:27(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I recently purchased the ESU 31033. BR 151 in chromedioxide green.
I've been very happy with it and would say the cost is absolutely worth it for what you get.

1) It is a loco that can easily be switched from 3-rail to 2-rail. I recently saw a video on a youtube channel where a marklin guy took his ESU loco over to someone that runs 2 rail DCC and just pulled the slider (which switches the loco's pickup connections to 2 rail) and ran it on the 2 rail DCC system. No issues.

2) I've had no issues running mine - but I've not run it on a layout yet, just tested it, so if there are contact issues internally with the mechanical switching contacts of the slider, I don't know. I also don't plan to remove the slider (which comes preinstalled) so maybe some of the internal switchcing from 2 contact to 3 contact only happen when one uses that feature several times in removing the slider, running in 2 rail mode, then plugging it back in to run in 3 rail mode, etc.

3) The loco is very solid built and heavy - so its got serious materials in it -not plastic all around, and that costs money to make. The detail on it is also very good (by my standards at least).

4) The added features such as the internal machine room sparking LED, or the brake spark LED features, or the wheel squeel in turns sensor and sounds, or the going over turnouts sensor and sounds, these are very cool features I'm glad it has, so I can do freight operations and get more of the realistic type effects.

The video I put on my channel is just the sample of the features I tested when I first got the loco this past year.

As far as I can tell, though I've not researched it deeply, is there is no mess, and suggesting it is hyperbole.
I would say that searching Stummi for "ESU 31033" results in only 7 posts, and no thread on serious problems with the contacts. If there was a mess, as suggested, then I'd expect there to be a thread or two complaining about the quality of ESU locomotive functionality, and there isn't any. So I've got no support for this notion that there is an issue, much less a mess, other than some person(s) in a store may have complained, which is anecdotal evidence being such a small sample size, and meaningless to draw conclusions from.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 25 July 2018 23:53:49(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
No idea about ESU products but at least Goofy has found another target other than Marklin. lol
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Cyborg  
#9 Posted : 25 July 2018 23:54:12(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi all,

I fully concur with Minok. Up until my last purchase of an ESU 31275 Cl66/77 I have an exclusively Marklin fleet which I rate very highly. I liked this locomotive and thought I'd give it a try and would put it up with my favorites. It is very well built, motor is virtually silent unlike Marklin, exceptional sound, has great features (which some may think gimmicky), comes pre-installed with a very good and life like smoke generator and great detail. I have no regrets buying it and wouldn't hesitate buying another if it was a model I liked.

Paul
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Cyborg
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 26 July 2018 00:11:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'm not a fan of gimmicks so I won't pay the considerable price tag just to get them.

I've bought locos from makers other than Marklin before. Some are good and some less so, but all I want in my locos is good running, so I don't consider the bells and whistles an advantage unless they come at no extra cost over similar locos without them.

I know I'm in a minority here, but I never fit smoke generators, usually run sound locos with the sound off, and prefer uncoupling tracks to Telex couplers. Smile
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 26 July 2018 00:59:04(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I am a member of the ESU forum and over the years there have been some people on the forum reporting contact issues with their locos on C track, particularly on curves and turnouts. I was surprised at the number of people reporting dropouts in the sound and lights, considering that they have capacitors in many models, as I have in my one ESU loco. It is always hard to get a good overall picture from those kind of reports though since happy customers are less likely to post about their models than customers with problems, so most of them might be just fine.

My ESU V 200 is lovely to look at with fine detailing and the features are fun, but it had a total motor failure after just a few hours of use. I had to buy it from Europe since at least a few years ago there were no North American dealers selling their products and the shipping back to MSL to get warranty work was extremely expensive. A friend with a commutator lathe turned the commutator, which was badly burned and it now runs fine again. We speculated that it might be a hung brush which had caused the problem but it is hard to know for sure. The motor has replaceable brushes and appears to of very high quality. The upper headlight on cab 2 never did work, which would require a PCB replacement and I have never found that part.

I contacted the American ESU representative but he told me that he could not help me because all that was sold here were the electronics and that even he could not order parts for the locos. I emailed ESU service to see if they could help in any way and they never even bothered to respond, because all warranty work has to go through your dealer. So mine sits in the yard looking pretty but I seldom run it, while my more primitive Märklin V 200 does all of the hard work on my layout. Cool

IMO the price was reasonable and the features such as the lighted instrument panel, engine room lights and the sparking brakes are cool. I did not see any evidence of problems with the power pickup but I have never tried running mine on 2-rail. I also love the heavy weight and fine detailing which certainly made it seem to be worth the cost at first. When it ran, it ran extremely well and the sound was excellent, as you would expect with ESU electronics. I probably would be willing to try another ESU loco but I probably will not because they obviously are not perfect (no one's products are) and for me factory service is not really available.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 26 July 2018 02:38:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

Who doesn't actually own one.....

I have 2 ESU locos and am happy with them. I know Goofy got a bit freaked out by the video of my ESU BR220 stuttering its way around my layout. That's probably because the layout doesn't get powered up much, and probably needs a track clean. I have also over the last year added extra feeder wires, so hopefully that improves things.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline MaerklinLife  
#13 Posted : 26 July 2018 07:17:05(UTC)
MaerklinLife

They were not the first and I think they are not the only company doing this.

I never heard of anybody else doing this. I think this is exclusive to ESU. Somebody might have made something similar in the past, clearly, not on a scale big enough to matter.

Statistics? I don't think anybody makes something like that. LOL. I am just reporting what my friends, and myself, are experiencing. We are all 3-railers, so that may have something to do with it. I am not sure.

IMHO they offer good value for the money, even if you do not appreciate all the gimmicks.

"IMHO", yes, _your_ opionion. I have mine. Can we agree to disagree? It is not worth debating who have the most correct personal opinion.wink

My point is: A faulty locomotive is not worth much if it cannot run properly. I expect a manufacturer to actually get the basics right before adding gimmicks. I like PIKO locos, they have gimmicky features as well, their price is reasonable, but the best part: PIKO locos just works.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#14 Posted : 26 July 2018 07:18:37(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I know Goofy got a bit freaked out by the video of my ESU BR220 stuttering its way around my layout. That's probably because the layout doesn't get powered up much, and probably needs a track clean. I have also over the last year added extra feeder wires, so hopefully that improves things.

Doesn't the ESU loco have a powerpack to prevent something like this? Your layout must be really dirty then. BigGrin
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 26 July 2018 08:32:29(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

Who doesn't actually own one.....

I did sold mine yesterday.
I did decides to sell my V 200.
Of course did i lose some money but not worth to keep on since i did read reports about problems with the ESU locomotives in ESU;s forum.
I decides too to stop my project on the layout.
I choice to keep on with the era 1 train models like Brawa,Trix and Fleischmann by use only dc locomotives with the sounds.

I would like to see ESU do start produce separately locomotives for dc and ac.
In this case i believe customer don´t need to get trouble by hurry up with driving.
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline dennisb  
#16 Posted : 26 July 2018 09:15:10(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
I'm sure that ESU has quality issues, just like most manufactures have from time to time. The question is how they respond and fix those. I only two ESU locomotives (V200 and BR220) so I can't speak for all of their products. I bought one of my models second hand and when it arrived it did a strange sound from the motor going in one direction. It was sold as New In Box so it shouldn't and you could clearly see that it had been used.

After getting the original receipt from the seller I could get it fixed from ESU. It took a while but I was not in a hurry so I didn't remind them. But when the loco arrived it was running as they are supposed to, virtually silent (until you turn on the sounds that is of course). That is my only encounter with the ESU support but I wouldn't hesitate to contact them again if any more issues would arise.

Lovely models I must say and with the current prices from Märklin I personally don't see them as overpriced either.

//Dennis
Offline kiwiAlan  
#17 Posted : 26 July 2018 15:28:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
No idea about ESU products but at least Goofy has found another target other than Marklin. lol

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 26 July 2018 21:56:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Doesn't the ESU loco have a powerpack to prevent something like this? Your layout must be really dirty then. BigGrin

Any loco with a Loksound v4.0 will have the capability of a powerpack. I think my BR220 does have one, my BR215 which has a Loksound 3.5 doesn't.

The problem with the layout is that it doesn't get regular running to keep it clean. The C track used to extend it was brand new. Some locos run better on the layout than others, it was quite noticeable that the ESU BR220 was a bit stuttery when run.
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 27 July 2018 09:26:03(UTC)
Goofy

And i´m honestly by present defaults.
This is good for train members in here forum to avoid problems?
H0
Offline Goofy  
#20 Posted : 27 July 2018 09:31:08(UTC)
Goofy

Any loco with a Loksound v4.0 will have the capability of a powerpack. I think my BR220 does have one, my BR215 which has a Loksound 3.5 doesn't.

The problem with the layout is that it doesn't get regular running to keep it clean. The C track used to extend it was brand new. Some locos run better on the layout than others, it was quite noticeable that the ESU BR220 was a bit stuttery when run.

This problem was also for other Märklinist by use ESU on the three rail tracks.
I believe power pack seems have problem with the three tracks.
There is no stuttery by use two rail. Huh
So it´s not only problem with the stud contact and inside of the locomotive so called switch contact between 2 and 3 rail.

H0
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#21 Posted : 07 June 2019 08:02:50(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
I bought an ESU 31018 BR 215 about 19 months ago. It was working great until a month ago. The smoke unit just stopped working. The sounds and lights are working fine, and the lok is running fine. I'm using a Marklin MS2 and usually put 0.3 ml of smoke fluid in each of the rectangular roof holes. I tried blowing into the smoke unit to clear it. It is still not working. I use ESU Smoke fluid. I emailed ESU Support but received no reply. I tried the dealer and got no reply. I called ESU USA Support and was told they don't support loks. I'm tempted to just send the lok back to ESU in Germany but am afraid that it might be gone forever. Any suggestion to what I can do? The 24 month warranty window is closing fast.

Thanks,
T

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#22 Posted : 07 June 2019 09:56:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The problems with locos stuttering on my layout turned out to be due to the mix of M and C tracks on the layout. Once I replaced all of the M tracks with C, the running issues went away.
Offline Goofy  
#23 Posted : 07 June 2019 09:57:03(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: MKOpSeattle Go to Quoted Post
I bought an ESU 31018 BR 215 about 19 months ago. It was working great until a month ago. The smoke unit just stopped working. The sounds and lights are working fine, and the lok is running fine. I'm using a Marklin MS2 and usually put 0.3 ml of smoke fluid in each of the rectangular roof holes. I tried blowing into the smoke unit to clear it. It is still not working. I use ESU Smoke fluid. I emailed ESU Support but received no reply. I tried the dealer and got no reply. I called ESU USA Support and was told they don't support loks. I'm tempted to just send the lok back to ESU in Germany but am afraid that it might be gone forever. Any suggestion to what I can do? The 24 month warranty window is closing fast.

Thanks,
T

If you have still warranty you can contact the dealer where you did bought locomotive and tell to them to fix the problem.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#24 Posted : 07 June 2019 10:01:53(UTC)
Goofy

ESU new locomotive V60 do have problem by pass over the K-turnouts.
I can see in the video how the locomotive jumps to when it passes over the switch.
H0
Offline river6109  
#25 Posted : 07 June 2019 11:47:20(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I can see in the video how the locomotive jumps to when it passes over the switch.

Goofy,

is this your own loco ? and do you have the capacitor charged ?

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline dickinsonj  
#26 Posted : 07 June 2019 13:07:37(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I emailed ESU Support but received no reply. I tried the dealer and got no reply. I called ESU USA Support and was told they don't support loks. I'm tempted to just send the lok back to ESU in Germany but am afraid that it might be gone forever. Any suggestion to what I can do? The 24 month warranty window is closing fast.

I had basically the same situation with a dead motor in a new ESU V200 a couple of years ago. ESU USA does not support the sales of their locos in the US, only their decoders, which they provide excellent support for BTW. ESU will not deal with you directly but will only do warranty work if you do it through the dealer you bought it from. I got mine from MSL and they are great but the cost for me to ship it to them was over half of what I paid for the loco, which was nuts. Luckily a friend helped me fix the motor and other than one headlight led being out it seems fine. But I learned my lesson - no more ESU locos for me here in NA because even if it is under warranty you are basically on your own.

Good luck.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline David Dewar  
#27 Posted : 07 June 2019 14:55:01(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I emailed ESU Support but received no reply. I tried the dealer and got no reply. I called ESU USA Support and was told they don't support loks. I'm tempted to just send the lok back to ESU in Germany but am afraid that it might be gone forever. Any suggestion to what I can do? The 24 month warranty window is closing fast.

I had basically the same situation with a dead motor in a new ESU V200 a couple of years ago. ESU USA does not support the sales of their locos in the US, only their decoders, which they provide excellent support for BTW. ESU will not deal with you directly but will only do warranty work if you do it through the dealer you bought it from. I got mine from MSL and they are great but the cost for me to ship it to them was over half of what I paid for the loco, which was nuts. Luckily a friend helped me fix the motor and other than one headlight led being out it seems fine. But I learned my lesson - no more ESU locos for me here in NA because even if it is under warranty you are basically on your own.

Good luck.

Marklin might be slow but at least they support their product with repairs. If ESU in the USA don't support their sales why sell the locos. I understand the high cost from the USA to Germany will cause problems no matter who the manufacturer is.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline dickinsonj  
#28 Posted : 07 June 2019 15:07:26(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Märklin might be slow but at least they support their product with repairs. If ESU in the USA don't support their sales why sell the locos. I understand the high cost from the USA to Germany will cause problems no matter who the manufacturer is.

I quite agree David. Even though you can buy an ESU loco from some NA dealers, ESU in NA does not support them. I was told that directly in a phone conversation with an ESU rep who was quite nice and actually sorry that he could not help me. I guess if you buy from a NA dealer you can return it to them for repair but from what I have read ESU's warranty service is neither higher quality nor faster than Märklin's.

I have learned my lesson and I always buy from a US dealer so that I have access to warranty work if the need arises, and I have not tried any other ESU locos despite their great detailing and high feature content.

Regards,
Jim

Offline river6109  
#29 Posted : 07 June 2019 15:42:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've got a different opinion, when it comes to warranty none of the manufacturers can solve your postage problem and this is why any warranty is not practical.

buying locos from any manufacturer is a risk if anything goes wrong with it., Märklin's warranty in the past you had to send in the whole loco for a decoder to be repaired and this becomes a nightmare and I assume the same goes for ESU locos., I like the look of these locos and their added gadgets but having more mechanisms in the loco, more can go wrong with them. so I stay clear of them, you can't touch the panto graphs and trying to move them, the mechanism gets ruined. producing 2 BR 260's something couldn't have been right with the first one, apparently the weight, the contact to the rail and most probably they've added a more powerful power pack.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Goofy  
#30 Posted : 07 June 2019 15:56:27(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

Goofy,

is this your own loco ? and do you have the capacitor charged ?

John

No
I did wrote "i can see in the video".
If you visit youtube you will see it too.

H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#31 Posted : 07 June 2019 15:57:16(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks,
T

Don't you come to Germany in September? Write ESU a letter, claiming the guarantee on this loco and attach a copy of your invoice. Tell them due to shipping costs and no support for their locos in the USA you bring this loco to their company in ULM by yourself in September, while you are on your way from Goeppingen to Munich passing ULM anyway. But while the guarantee time is running out you claim the guarantee already now. If they do not agree with you, then you send your loco on their expense already this month to ULM. They shall send you a certification for this guarantee handling.

BTW I think ESU itself is also at the IMA days in Goeppingen. Have to check it out. Then you must not go to ULM, you just bring it to the IMA desk of ESU.

I did this 2 years ago with two Märklin locos and it was a perfect service by Märklin.
Offline dickinsonj  
#32 Posted : 07 June 2019 16:16:41(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I've got a different opinion, when it comes to warranty none of the manufacturers can solve your postage problem and this is why any warranty is not practical.

I don't really disagree with you John. I bought my Insider railbus and trailer from a great Canadian dealer and it almost immediately had a total PCB and decoder failure. After paying for shipping back to the him and his shipping back to me I had one third of the purchase price in return shipping - some warranty that turned out to be. ThumbDown That is why I now only buy from a couple of US dealers so that if I need any warranty work my postage is actually pretty reasonable.

Things are just a little more complex with ESU locos in the US because it is basically a black market deal from what I can tell, even from a dealer. The model selection is also very limited and the cool new ESU locos that I see online are seldom sold by US dealers anyway.

No worries though - I have cut back on my MRR buying lately and I can waste quite enough of my money with just the choices that I currently have. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

Offline danmarklinman  
#33 Posted : 07 June 2019 19:29:32(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
I have the esu EMD 66. It runs very well. Personally I bought it because I wanted a EMD 66?. And I saw one running on a Marklin K track layout. I will only buy a Non Marklin, if I see it running on K track!! I wouldn’t however by anther as I don’t want anther and Märklins new programmable decoders with adding your own sounds. Means that you don’t need to spend more than a Marklin loco. To get what I want??
It’s the luck of the draw on models that are not Marklin. You may buy a sideing filler or a good model. I personally think, you can’t go wrong with Marklin. As it’s designed for 3 rail!! You can very definitely have a howling failure with a non Marklin, as I have done, before I bought my ESU👍
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline David Dewar  
#34 Posted : 07 June 2019 21:17:18(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have always thought that as in the UK it is the dealer who is liable for any faults. If dealers can not fix a loco or carry spares then anybody who just posts a loco to a customer can call themselves dealers. Shops make a profit and if all they do is pick up a box and post it then they get money for nothing.
There was Roco dealer close to Glasgow and he had an employee who could repair almost anything and they carried Roco spares. When they retired the business closed which was a shame. In my view manufacturers should not be the ones for a warranty claim but only the final seller as we have in this country.

It does help if manufacturers make quality items and test them.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#35 Posted : 08 June 2019 02:37:31(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Don't you come to Germany in September? Write ESU a letter, claiming the guarantee on this loco and attach a copy of your invoice. Tell them due to shipping costs and no support for their locos in the USA you bring this loco to their company in ULM by yourself in September, while you are on your way from Goeppingen to Munich passing ULM anyway. But while the guarantee time is running out you claim the guarantee already now. If they do not agree with you, then you send your loco on their expense already this month to ULM. They shall send you a certification for this guarantee handling.

BTW I think ESU itself is also at the IMA days in Goeppingen. Have to check it out. Then you must not go to ULM, you just bring it to the IMA desk of ESU.

I did this 2 years ago with two Märklin locos and it was a perfect service by Märklin.

I was just thinking wouldn't that be nice if I can drop off the lok to ESU at the IMA. Then I saw your post this morning. The problem is we are heading North by train to Hamburg to MiWuLa right after IMA. But I have two days in Stuttgart before that so driving to Ulm can be a possibility. If I know for sure either ESU will take the lok at IMA or at Ulm, I can plan accordingly.

Offline Minok  
#36 Posted : 10 June 2019 21:18:19(UTC)
Minok

United States   

This is almost certainly because the loco has NEM 2 rail standardized wheels, which have a smaller radius flange on them, than the 3-rail Märklin AC wheels. I have seen this directly in comparing an ESU tanker car DC wheels, with the AC replacement wheels that ESU offers for the car. With Märklin turnouts, the gaps in the rail where the crossing happens rely on the vehicle riding on its flanges to cross that gap. With the shorter flanges the vehicle dips down to in the gap.

For cars, one replaces the DC wheelsets with AC wheelsets (that's what they are called, lets not argue about the terminology)

With a locomotive, it is NOT easy or cheap to swap out wheelsets, if that is even possible. Its a consequence of the model rail industry not being able to standardize the wheels across the board.

So short wheelbase locomotives and cars with DC wheelsets will always dip a bit as their wheels cross the gap in a K/C track turnout/crossing.

---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Minok  
#37 Posted : 10 June 2019 21:21:52(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Thanks,
T

I recently had submitted a warranty question to ESU and it just takes them forever to respond; I think it took 2 months to get an answer, which was then "send it to your dealer for him to handle". You have to resolve ESU claims via the dealer you purchased the item from, and most critically, ship the items back in the full ESU packaging to ensure its not damaged in transit... so always keep your ESU shipping box, its foam inserts, the loco box, and an intact plastic frame that one screws the loco to.

If you get to Germany, drop it off or ship it there to your dealer (if they are German or in Europe), and then ask that ESU, after fixing it, ship it back to you in Seattle.
---
My YouTube Channel: