Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2019 15:15:09(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

I only started in Marklin back in February and now seriously have the bug. Although I have all the DB loks that I need, I am, for some reason, getting an SBB Krokodil and a class 482 Cargo.

I am looking for suggestions for a few SBB freight wagons to go with them.

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2019 18:46:37(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The wonderful thing about Switzerland is that due to it's central location in Europe and it's essential north-south rail corridors, coaches and cars from most European countries can be found on Swiss rails.

For the Krokodil, a mix of German, Swiss and Italian cars would be typical for Era II through Era IV.
My favourite train with the Krokodil was the Weiacher Gravel Train, represented by Maerklin cars 46331. A long unit train like this could be seen daily between Schaffhausen and points south.

Here is a video of that train, this time pulled by an Ae 6/6 (1990s):
(starts at 0:52)
Here is a video of Kroks from 1972:
(the gravel train can be seen at 1:48)

The Re 482 is among the most recent SBB Loks, along with the leased ES64F4 (DB 189) and the newest Vectron (193). These locomotives can typically be found heading trains made up of container cars (47802/47097/47095/etc) or perhaps a postal train (48059/48062). Other possibilities would be a rake of tank cars (Wascosa or GATX), the 46912 set of open top hoppers. You can supplement the container cars with models from Rocky Rail, Roco, B-Models, etc.

What I might suggest is that you check out the newly announced Start Set with a SBB Re 474 (DB 189), which comes with Mobile Station, a few cars and some track which is due out later this year.

Here is a video showing some current consists:

If you have any questions, send me a message and I will see what I can do to help.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2019 19:34:41(UTC)
TEEWolf

Just bought a nice German paper about the Krokodil. Plenty of pictures inside, I never have seen before.

https://www.ekshop.de/ze...Schweizer-Krokodile.html

and for @mike c (he understands GermanBigGrin)

https://www.eisenbahn-ku...n-58-schweizer-krokodile

Interesting to me are old pictures you see the Croc in mixed trains. Means cargo as well as passenger cars mixed up in one train pulled by a Croc.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2019 15:51:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
I only started in Marklin back in February and now seriously have the bug. Although I have all the DB loks that I need, I am, for some reason, getting an SBB Krokodil and a class 482 Cargo.

I am looking for suggestions for a few SBB freight wagons to go with them.

The Hbils series wagons are modern boxcars that come in a large variety of colourful liveries.

Keep an eye out on ebay and the like for the 4685 'Migros Chocolate set and the 4784 'Mineral Waters' set, both 4 car sets, and the 84785 'Beer wagon' set. There are also a lot of individual versions of this boxcar as many companies have had Marklin produce advertising promotional versions of it as well as many made for the open market under 4735.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan