Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2019 20:02:35(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

I am thinking of buying a Marklin Crocodile (not the gold one - haha). I can't see that Lippe has much in the way of SBB coaches to go with it. Can anyone help with my options?

David
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2019 20:07:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
EBay has many Marklin SBB coaches at any one time. You could try there.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2019 20:24:14(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi- just look for era 2-3 and you should be set, although remember crocodiles were primarily freight locomotives
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 25 May 2019 00:03:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I think that you can model any freight train from the 1930s through the 1970s and run them with a crocodile.
Although the Maerklin models have a more recent livery, my favourite train for the Crocodile was the 46331 Weiacher Kies Gravel cars, as seen here:

https://bahnbilder-von-m...tures-large/mh_02486.jpg

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mmervine  
#5 Posted : 25 May 2019 00:12:13(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Cool picture Mike!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline tiono  
#6 Posted : 25 May 2019 04:29:26(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I think that you can model any freight train from the 1930s through the 1970s and run them with a crocodile.

hi Mike,
From your vast knowledge on Swiss train, could you advise whether the crocodile ever pulled passenger coaches during their service days? if yes, then which type of coaches?
I don't have interest in freight train, but due to "crocodile cult" then I purchased a Ce 6/8 III. I tried to search for old photographs or reference of Ce 6/8 III pulling passenger coaches, but can not find any. Many of existing photo/video of the croc pulling passenger coaches are of today's special train run by SBB Historic.

Offline Unholz  
#7 Posted : 25 May 2019 11:38:08(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: tiono Go to Quoted Post

From your vast knowledge on Swiss train, could you advise whether the crocodile ever pulled passenger coaches during their service days? if yes, then which type of coaches?

Such use was very rare - see this picture example (scroll down almost to the bottom of the page): http://www.bahnzauber-europa.at/eisenba_09.htm

If you want to model such a train, then suitable coaches would be the two-axle types with open platforms made by Liliput or the "heavyweight" four-axle coaches from Roco.
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 25 May 2019 11:47:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
You may have to apply these special train excursions with your crocodile pulling passenger coaches. whether or not on rare occasions this loco pulled passenger carriages over the Gotthard is anybodies guess.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#9 Posted : 25 May 2019 18:27:11(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
You may have to apply these special train excursions with your crocodile pulling passenger coaches. whether or not on rare occasions this loco pulled passenger carriages over the Gotthard is anybodies guess.

John

I may just apply Rule 1 - It's my railway! I am very determined, now I am in the Marklin world, to build a "trainset" rather than a model railway. By that I mean that, as I have no knowledge of German railways, I am just going to buy what interests me and enjoy myself. At 74, I don't intend to waste much time fretting over "reality". Hence, I really just want to know if there are any SBB coaches that might look OK in the current Marklin range as I find it very confusing. I am concerned about buying anything on EBay as there is such a huge range of Marklin stuff historically and a huge range of stuff on EBay that matching the two could result in expensive mistakes.

Failing this, I might go a different way and buy a Primex 30110 E-loc BR E 44 of the DB mfx metal Primex packaging and 41920
"Tin-Plate" Express Train Passenger Car Set.

Not as interesting mechanically as a Crocodile but good to look at.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline tiono  
#10 Posted : 26 May 2019 04:21:31(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post

Such use was very rare - see this picture example (scroll down almost to the bottom of the page): http://www.bahnzauber-europa.at/eisenba_09.htm
If you want to model such a train, then suitable coaches would be the two-axle types with open platforms made by Liliput or the "heavyweight" four-axle coaches from Roco.

Thanks. I will wait for those coaches on eBay (Liliput and Roco discontinued those coaches, therefore I have to get from secondary market).
SBB Historic usually use EW II coaches paired with the crocodile for their special excursion trip. But interestingly, they use the croc with a consist of "heavy weight" coaches during a shooting of a movie on 2004.
The photo is here: https://railpictures.net/photo/316918/

Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 26 May 2019 04:29:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Another option could have been but this loco has never came out in AC, the Austrian Crocodile Rh 1100, as this loco was used on freight & passenger trains.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 26 May 2019 11:51:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

John

I may just apply Rule 1 - It's my railway! I am very determined, now I am in the Marklin world, to build a "trainset" rather than a model railway. By that I mean that, as I have no knowledge of German railways, I am just going to buy what interests me and enjoy myself. At 74, I don't intend to waste much time fretting over "reality". Hence, I really just want to know if there are any SBB coaches that might look OK in the current Marklin range as I find it very confusing. I am concerned about buying anything on EBay as there is such a huge range of Marklin stuff historically and a huge range of stuff on EBay that matching the two could result in expensive mistakes.

Failing this, I might go a different way and buy a Primex 30110 E-loc BR E 44 of the DB mfx metal Primex packaging and 41920
"Tin-Plate" Express Train Passenger Car Set.

Not as interesting mechanically as a Crocodile but good to look at.

Hi David,

As it's your railway you can make up a story to suit whatever you want to run.

The problem with not wanting to buy from the second hand market is that you're restricted to what Marklin is offering this year, and on any given year the range is not that huge!

If you want to stick with the current range, how about the Simplon Orient Express coaches? They are "Old style" and match the crocodile in looks if not in their colour, and they would have been seen on Swiss rails!

https://www.maerklin.de/...rrpdb_pi1%5BnoPaging%5D=

Beware the prices though!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline TEEWolf  
#13 Posted : 26 May 2019 14:38:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

I am thinking of buying a Marklin Crocodile (not the gold one - haha). I can't see that Lippe has much in the way of SBB coaches to go with it. Can anyone help with my options?

David

At MSL you normally do not get "old" locos. They mainly offering the actual build locos from almost all manufacturer. If you want locos from prior years, you have to look at other dealers. Sometimes you might be lucky.

Last year Märklin offered the shunting Croc in H0 (which I bought). I guess, if you wait one or two years M is offering "regular" Crocs again or indeed you are looking at Ebay, etc. There are "private" dealers (as I call them). Peolpe selling model railroad pieces used or new by whatever source they got them.

Just for an impression

https://www.ebay-kleinan...m%C3%A4rklin-krokodil/k0

I am also not an expert in Swiss trains, but Roco has offered train sets with a Croc, so it probabely has given it in real life too. Just see here pictures from a pretty old auction

https://auktion.catawiki...-3-personenwagen-der-sbb

https://www.ebay.ch/itm/...r-SBB-K208-/121274662991

BTW I myself was surpriced about the prices.

Offline LMS800  
#14 Posted : 26 May 2019 16:49:31(UTC)
LMS800

Germany   
Hi David,
I run my crocodiles with freight cars and with Swiss coaches -see my pics.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

David, I warn you, you may become addicted to crocodiles. There is no medicine to cure you of it.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Wolf

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by LMS800
Offline tiono  
#15 Posted : 26 May 2019 18:16:43(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

I am also not an expert in Swiss trains, but Roco has offered train sets with a Croc, so it probabely has given it in real life too. Just see here pictures from a pretty old auction
https://auktion.catawiki...-3-personenwagen-der-sbb

Roco 43023 train-set was produced around 2003/2004, whether it was coincidence or not, this Roco train-set resemble the consist from a Swiss movie titled "Mein Name ist Eugen" which was shot in 2004 (released in 2005). In this movie, there is a scene showing crocodile with "heavy weight" coaches.
Here is the video-clip of the train in the movie:

Ce 6/8

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tiono
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 26 May 2019 21:18:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
If you want to buy new, then Lokshop have a couple of items that may be of interest ...

39568 brown crocodile and 43382 Era III lightweight steel 3rd class coach. Three or four of these coaches behind the croc may do what you want.

Joes Modellbahn have the 43372 , 43382,, 43392 and 43402 baggage wagon, so you can get the full set of matching wagons there.

Joes also have 39564,
39562, and 39566 brown crocodiles available.

They also have a selection of the 3756x series of crocodiles.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#17 Posted : 27 May 2019 12:50:56(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Joes also have 39564,

Unfortunately, they are all out of stock! I have only dealt with Joes over EBay where they were very good. Never dealt with Lokshop but read here of some issues people have had.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline TEEWolf  
#18 Posted : 27 May 2019 15:51:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Joes also have 39564,

Unfortunately, they are all out of stock! I have only dealt with Joes over EBay where they were very good. Never dealt with Lokshop but read here of some issues people have had.

Indeed Joe's and other dealer keep their offers at their website and mark them only by "sold out" or a red point.

I buy quite some stuff at Joe's and I found buying directly by his own webshop it is sometimes cheaper as he offers the same article via Ebay.

Do you know exactly which Crocodile are you looking for? Sometimes I see in other shops still one available. Knowing which one you like, I can get half an eye on it at other German shops, if you want it. Are you interested in a used one as well? Sometimes I visit Märklin dealers directly at their local shop and I am often surprised about their offers at used locos I never have seen before on a website.

Offline jvuye  
#19 Posted : 27 May 2019 15:55:24(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Although the Maerklin models have a more recent livery, my favourite train for the Crocodile was the 46331 Weiacher Kies Gravel cars, as seen here:

https://bahnbilder-von-m...tures-large/mh_02486.jpg

Regards

Mike C

Your choice is as always....impeccable! BigGrin

Crocodiles were used at the front of about every trains on the Gotthard line.
Yes, used esentially on freight, but even more often as helper on heavy passenger trains.
In Hans Schneeberger's book on Swiss electric locomotives, there is an anecdote that one day in the late 1950's a ( then brand new..) Ae 6/6 in Erstfeld was given a Ce 6/8 II in front, as a helper , but most of all to ferry the Crocodile to the shops in Bellinzona.
The Ae 6/6 engineer had forgotten that the now aging Crocodile was limited to 65 km/h and happilly pushed the train to its (then normal..) speed of 75 km/h, all the way pushing the "Alte Tante" and the heavy convoy up the mountain at scary rod shaking speeds!!
Laugh
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye