Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline obb_taurus  
#1 Posted : 20 May 2019 18:06:11(UTC)
obb_taurus

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if there is a difference between motors in 36xxx and 37xxx locomotives. I haven't purchase a new 37xxx series engine for quite some time, I think the last one must have been around 2006 otherwise any locomotive I've purchased since that time has a sinus motor. I was unaware until I received my newest engine (37127) that Marklin has moved to mainly a can motor/drive shaft setup. I naturally expected it to be super quiet and run like butter but that is not the case, what I did find is that at certain speeds it growls as much as my 36xxx engines so this got me to wondering, am I paying a lot of money for a 37xxx engine which is very detailed on the outside but has the same technology under the hood as a 36xxx engine?

Thanks

Mike
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2019 18:18:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The catalogue number is no longer a good guide to the motor installed in the loco. Most new locos are now bringing can type motors. Some are very good quality, others not so good. Some locos are still being sold with the old DCM type motor, but these are being phased out.

The more expensive locos will usually have a better motor installed than the cheaper "Hobby" locos. If you look at the spare parts lists on the Marklin website you can see a whole range of prices for replacement motors.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline obb_taurus  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2019 18:46:30(UTC)
obb_taurus

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
The catalogue number is no longer a good guide to the motor installed in the loco. Most new locos are now bringing can type motors. Some are very good quality, others not so good. Some locos are still being sold with the old DCM type motor, but these are being phased out.

The more expensive locos will usually have a better motor installed than the cheaper "Hobby" locos. If you look at the spare parts lists on the Marklin website you can see a whole range of prices for replacement motors.

I had a feeling that would be the answer, the other thing that made me suspicious of this is the paint job, I noticed on the 37127 the paint is more of a matte finish and somewhat coarse while my older engines are smooth and glossy.

Is it possible to upgrade the motor if you want or are you pretty well stuck with what's in there?

Thanks

Mike

Offline marklinguyfromSA  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2019 18:53:15(UTC)
marklinguyfromSA

Canada   
Hi there.

I had a look at the exploded parts diagram for item number 37127 and the can motor inside that locomotive is different to those found in the 36xxx-series. It looks smaller or more compact very much like the SoftDrive Sinus or the ones manufactured by Maxon.

Also if the DCM motor type is being phased out, then will be there any motor conversion kits by Marklin? For owners of older Marklin locomotives, which used the larger flat commutators, there are motor conversion kits by Marklin that they can use to convert their older locomotives to DCM.

Keith.
Offline HO Collector  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2019 22:06:59(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
A beginner question.
What are these motors that you are talking about? What are the differences?
I know the old motors in the analogue engines (e.g. 3003, 3025) that had 3 poles then there were the motors with 5 poles but I have no idea about the rest that were mentioned (Google didn't help).

Thanks

Ben
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2019 22:51:00(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Here is an ancient note from within the m-u.net

https://www.marklin-users.net/html/service/SEmotors.html

There is a C-Sine in the mix, also somewhere

Hope this helps a bit!

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline applor  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2019 23:03:17(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: HO Collector Go to Quoted Post
A beginner question.
What are these motors that you are talking about? What are the differences?
I know the old motors in the analogue engines (e.g. 3003, 3025) that had 3 poles then there were the motors with 5 poles but I have no idea about the rest that were mentioned (Google didn't help).

Thanks

Ben

Here are the old Marklin motors and Faulhaber:

https://www.marklin-user...ml/service/SEmotors.html

Can motor:

https://dccwiki.com/Can_Motor

C-Sine motors (Marklin only):

With the C-sine motors you have the older 'big' style C-sine and the newer compact C-sine motor.
The big C-sine is not very common and its decoder cannot be changed as there are no new decoders that can run the motor.
The compact C-sine had some issues with power sensitivity and had a driver board upgrade, whereby it was renamed Softdrive C-sine - the most common.
Compact C-sine locomotives could be returned to Marklin for this upgrade, so there are not many compact C-sine locos left either.

More reading here:
https://www.marklin-user...e-sine-and-C-sine-motors

There are also other various motor types, all DC motors and all typically quiet and run well - such as Faulhaber and Maxon but many more which are not named.

This company provides upgrade kits for a large range of models to Faulhaber/Maxon motors:

https://www.sb-modellbau.com/

Note that the cause of significant noise in many models is actually the transmission and not the motor. Hence why modellbau also provide transmission upgrades.

Marklins numbering initially assigned the 39XXX series to C-sine locomotives but this is no longer the case, you will find 39XXX models with other DC motor types and some 37XXX models with C-sine.

I don't think Marklin are releasing new models with anything less than a quiet DC motor, so it's of little concern now.

In recent years there have still been some issued with DCM motors (coffee grinder) because they were still using old moulds.
With the release of the new BR44 chassis I don't think there are any more, except maybe the BR78.
I am not sure about the new Marklin 37068, BR80. Previously it had a DCM motor but maybe the new one has a motor upgrade - the brochure does not say.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline HO Collector  
#8 Posted : 21 May 2019 10:21:49(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Thank you guys. Learnt something new.
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 22 May 2019 10:41:55(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: HO Collector Go to Quoted Post
Thank you guys. Learnt something new.

Here's a little more info on the Sine drive, from 2007 - hard to believe 12 years ago already.....

SoftdriveSine-1.jpg

SoftdriveSine-2.jpg

SoftdriveSine-3.jpg

SoftdriveSine-4.jpg

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Minok  
#10 Posted : 22 May 2019 20:36:54(UTC)
Minok

United States   
It seems like a great idea, that soft sinus, but the required specialty drive mother boards (with control semiconductors on it) which cannot be sourced anymore makes those locos have a single point of failure, right?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok