Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#1 Posted : 14 May 2019 22:48:10(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
My 3696 I got used some years ago, was seized when I got it but I remember using a small screw driver to free up the motor. That wasn't so hard and after adding a few drops of oil it ran well. I got it out again last week and I noticed it went slower forwards than back wards, but on occasions it would go faster in the forward direction. The motor is still free. Although it is "digital'' it really is like a delta with the uncoupling ability.

Does anyone have any ideas??Confused

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline SteamNut  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2019 23:43:29(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I did not find that lok on Marklin's data base but check the brushes as they may need to be cleaned or replaced.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 14 May 2019 23:58:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dereck

I suggest you open the loco, clean its gears if needed remove the brushes and gently rotate the wheels to check for seizing or hard points in the gears.
I use a toothbrush to start cleaning the gears for possible "things" stuck between 2 teeth.
The motor should rotate without any friction (almost!!)
If it was a while before it last was used you need to let it run a little while and its running will improve rapidly.
My nightmare: when a tiny bit of ballast get stuck and is difficult to locate where it is.
PS on second read of you post the culprit may be the brushes which need change and springs need checking (runs slow and then run fast)
Bonne chance

Jean
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2019 07:29:07(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
[...] but I remember using a small screw driver to free up the motor.
Be careful: when turning the collector plates slightly on the motor axle, the loco will have different speeds when going forward vs. reverse.

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Although it is "digital'' it really is like a delta with the uncoupling ability.
Delta is digital and 36xx digital locos behave exactly like Delta locos. 37xx is "digital 2.0", introduced load regulation, and outperforms Delta.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 16 May 2019 03:12:24(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Thanks guys. Last night I removed and inspected the brushes and commutator. Brushes are virtually new, and the commutator surface is nice and shiny. By moving the rear wheels in either direction, the motor turned freely. I also could not see any obstructions in the gears.
BTW, this is one of those locos where the motor drives only the rear wheels. The coupling rods do the rest. I placed it on the track and it started off, then on full throttle [on the MS2 ] it went slower that in would in reverse. It went over a 5117 point then accelerated so fast it rolled off the track!!!!!!!. From then on it seemed to go as fast on forward as in reverse but when the throttle is brought back we are still getting the slowing down and speeding up syndrome. Oh well, its an old loco, and sometimes some of my early 50's stuff does the same. It doesn't smell or sound any different from normal.,Its relatively quiet say compared to my 34121 P2 which just about screams if and when you give it full tit..
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä