Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carim  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2019 14:17:15(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

I bought these locos and carriages in 1989 from Beatties of London; but I couldn't get a controller or track then, so they languished in my parents' house until 2019. I recently rediscovered them and ran them for the very first time:

Br 103_8854_v2.jpg

Br 103 (8854) ran perfectly out of the box!

Br 111_8842_v2.jpg

Br 111 (8842) - lights came on but it would not move. Probably HOS, so will give it a good clean.

Local at Romisches Theater_v2.jpg
The Br 111 running with a local comprising of a Bum234 (8721) Silberling and Bnb719 (8716).

TEE passes local_v2.jpg
The Br 103 in charge of a TEE (2x 8724, 8725 & 8726). All the TEE carriages had plastic wheels which I am swapping out for metal ones and I am also improving on the paint finish.

Carim
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline scraigen  
#2 Posted : 07 May 2019 17:49:51(UTC)
scraigen

BR 103 is a beautiful loco. One of my favourites!
Must build something
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by scraigen
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 07 May 2019 18:13:15(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: scraigen Go to Quoted Post
BR 103 is a beautiful loco. One of my favourites!

You are not alone. Meanwhile I got 5 of them.Smile

ciao

TEEWolf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline husafreak  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2019 06:15:42(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Very cool. I really wanted one of those TEE sets that Marklin will be coming out with soon but the cars are so long and I have tight tracks, I'm afraid it will look silly, but on your layout it looks great, lucky!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2019 18:21:27(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Very cool. I really wanted one of those TEE sets that Marklin will be coming out with soon but the cars are so long and I have tight tracks, I'm afraid it will look silly, but on your layout it looks great, lucky!

You do not have to wait buying a complete TEE train. At the moment Märklin offers the TEE Gambrinus. See the catalogue New Items for 2019 page 68 f

http://streaming.maerkli...ia/nh19/EN_2mae_nh19.pdf

Indeed, you have to have a look at the lenght of a train. They are growing as Märklin prices are growing.Laugh

This Gambrinus (BR 103.1 plus 5 coaches) has an overall length of 163,4 cm (or 5,36 ft) and cost at Märklin company price alltogether 709,94 € (= 797,45 US-$ today, 2019-05-13).

But you are right. On my small table layout 220 * 95 cm (7,22 * 3,12 ft) it is not easy then to get 2 trains at the same time on the same line.BigGrin
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2019 19:07:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
You do not have to wait buying a complete TEE train. At the moment Märklin offers the TEE Gambrinus. See the catalogue New Items for 2019 page 68 f
Page 68f shows a three-rail train, but the pictures in the first post show two-rail tracks. That makes a big difference here, but I assume you simply missed that. Take a close look at the pictures before posting a link to the Trix catalogue...

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2019 19:18:52(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

How do you think it will look with a H0 train on a z-scale layout?? LOL

I wonder if there is a reason for this topic to be posted in the "Small scale" section of the forum. Flapper

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
H0Carim
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 13 May 2019 19:26:04(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Page 68f shows a three-rail train, but the pictures in the first post show two-rail tracks. That makes a big difference here, but I assume you simply missed that. Take a close look at the pictures before posting a link to the Trix catalogue...

OhMyGod Change it to "New Items for 2019" 160 years Märklin catalogue page 66 to page 69.Scared

I do not care what any private pictures are showing. Also I do not know which trains @husafreak (who is looking for a TEE train and listed no pictures) are running on his layout.

But are we a Trix (2-rail) or Märklin (3-rail) forum here? Yes, of course does the pages show a three-rail-train with an mfx+ decoder for the loco. What else? Yes, of course this mfx+ is only available by Märklin itself.Wink Smile. Yes, of course is Trix different.

But what do I have to do with Trix? If you like it, fine - but search it by yourself.BigGrin
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 13 May 2019 19:30:54(UTC)
H0

But are we a Trix (2-rail) or Märklin (3-rail) forum here?
You still miss the important point: this thread is about Märklin two-rail in scale 1:220. Analogue, no mfx+.
And this forum allows other brands beside Märklin.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 13 May 2019 19:33:34(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I do not care what any private pictures are showing.

You should care, especially before recommending a H0-train for a z-scale layout. LOL

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 13 May 2019 20:28:00(UTC)
TEEWolf

But are we a Trix (2-rail) or Märklin (3-rail) forum here?
You still miss the important point: this thread is about Märklin two-rail in scale 1:220. Analogue, no mfx+.
And this forum allows other brands beside Märklin.

Crying Oh sorry - one question: do you drink Scotch in pints too?Cool Flapper LOL
Perhaps "pointless"?Laugh

And serious,
although you are a member here for ages, did you notice that we are writing at this forum in 99% about Märklin H0 (not you - the gauge) and not about pictures from what ever gauge?Cool

Did you realize that Märklin, as a company, does minimize more and more all differences between its various brands as far as possible and do not care, if they are DC 2-line or AC 3-line articles? This includes to offer their articles in all type of gauges, but at different time periods.

Go to page 166 new Items 2019 catalogue and buy for your pleasure the TEE Roland. And probably you will find a dealer who is selling you a BR 103 for this TEE as well. But my eyes are too old now to fiddle around with tiny toys.
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 13 May 2019 20:40:30(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

did you notice that we are writing at this forum in 99% about Märklin H0

At the time of writing this, there's been made 550.884 posts in this forum.

Of those 550.884 posts, 84.269 are in the H0-section.

That's a bit less than 15% Cool LOL Flapper

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 13 May 2019 20:50:56(UTC)
H0

And serious,
although you are a member here for ages, did you notice that we are writing at this forum in 99% about Märklin H0
I'm well aware that many Z gauge threads in the Small Scale forum get derailed by three-rail H0 answers from people who do not fully understand the question. Does not happen for 99% of the Z gauge threads, but still too often.
It could also be that 99% of the threads in the General MRR forum are actually H0.specific and would suit the H0 forum much better.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Carim  
#14 Posted : 14 May 2019 10:03:31(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
And serious,
although you are a member here for ages, did you notice that we are writing at this forum in 99% about Märklin H0
I'm well aware that many Z gauge threads in the Small Scale forum get derailed by three-rail H0 answers from people who do not fully understand the question. Does not happen for 99% of the Z gauge threads, but still too often.
It could also be that 99% of the threads in the General MRR forum are actually H0.specific and would suit the H0 forum much better.

Hi,

I actually posted this article under the "Small scale" section because, whilst I am happy to read/write about other scales, I specifically wanted to bolster the amount of material written about Z scale.

Kind regards,
Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline Carim  
#15 Posted : 14 May 2019 10:14:05(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Very cool. I really wanted one of those TEE sets that Marklin will be coming out with soon but the cars are so long and I have tight tracks

Hide the curves using tunnels/cuttings/scenic breaks/part of a station with an overall roof/etc. Whilst Z scale can look spectacular in a large space - the reason I started in Z was that I wanted to run modern, German express trains in a small space - my layout is 122cm x 55cm and I can pick it up and walk with it through the house.

Carim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Carim