Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline John Ferguson  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2019 07:16:04(UTC)
John Ferguson

United Kingdom   
Does anyone have experience of using ESU’s M4 decoders with World of Operations.

In other words does the decoder keep records of fuel, sand, water as Marklin’s MFX decoders?

John
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2019 07:38:51(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: John Ferguson Go to Quoted Post
In other words does the decoder keep records of fuel, sand, water as Marklin’s MFX decoders?

No, they don't have mfx+ so they don't have those features. Marklin themselves haven't included mfx+ in their msd3 decoders.

Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2019 07:40:20(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Does anyone have experience of using ESU’s M4 decoders with World of Operations.

John

John, the only record they keep is reliability

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 12 May 2019 08:37:41(UTC)
Goofy

It´s possible ESU will present a new digital station with the world of operation by use Railcom+.
If they plan by do this.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline poulmh  
#5 Posted : 12 May 2019 11:40:44(UTC)
poulmh

Denmark   
I think You should ask ESU.
#6 Posted : 12 May 2019 12:29:18(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
It´s possible ESU will present a new digital station with the world of operation by use Railcom+.
If they plan by do this.

I am sure ESU will have a forum that might help.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 12 May 2019 21:59:59(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

No, they don't have mfx+ so they don't have those features. Marklin themselves haven't included mfx+ in their msd3 decoders.

Exactly, as of Märklin's update information for the CS 3 software version 1.4.0 is this World of Operations (WoO) for all mfx, MM, DCC decoder formats possible. They do not write it, but this software version is only applicable for the CS 3. So it should be possible only with a CS 3. Even a CS 2 should not be able to use this WoO function with all track formats.

The consumption of consumables (water, fuel, sand, etc) is furthermore only be possible with the mfx+ track format decoders. About 4 weeks ago, at a digital day, a Märklin employee certified this to me. This consumption usage is the only and single remaining difference between mfx+ and all other track formats.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#8 Posted : 13 May 2019 06:27:31(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Exactly, as of Märklin's update information for the CS 3 software version 1.4.0 is this World of Operations (WoO) for all mfx, MM, DCC decoder formats possible. They do not write it, but this software version is only applicable for the CS 3. So it should be possible only with a CS 3. Even a CS 2 should not be able to use this WoO function with all track formats.

That is not entirely accurate. Yes version 1.4.0 is CS3 only - because that is _the_ CS3 software. The CS2 software has another version number, because it is another piece of software. The current CS2 version is 4.2.0 I believe.

That being said. CS3 and CS2 with their latest updates lets you control ANY locomotive using the World of Operations features. This is possible because the simulation is purely software driven it has nothing to do with the capabilities of the decoder - at all.

The consumption of consumables (water, fuel, sand, etc) is furthermore only be possible with the mfx+ track format decoders. About 4 weeks ago, at a digital day, a Märklin employee certified this to me. This consumption usage is the only and single remaining difference between mfx+ and all other track formats.

The reason being that the consumption of fuel, coal etc. is tracked in the decoder. This will require special firmware to work. The decoder hardware seems to be the same as the generation 3 of the Märklin decoders, so there is no real reason that Märklin could not release the firmware as a software update.

Personally, the real benefit of the World of Operation concept comes when I can make all my locos dependent on fuel. Not just some.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#9 Posted : 13 May 2019 06:33:14(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
If they plan by do this.

To be honest: Don't get your hopes up.

The World of Operation is a "märklin thing" I don't see what ESU can benefit from building something like that. See what happened to the Roco counterpart. Nobody talks about that anymore.
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 14 May 2019 01:07:28(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

That is not entirely accurate. Yes version 1.4.0 is CS3 only - because that is _the_ CS3 software. The CS2 software has another version number, because it is another piece of software. The current CS2 version is 4.2.0 I believe.

I do not have a CS 2. As of Märklin's website the CS 2 actual software since Feb. 11th, 2019 is version 4.2.8 (not shown at the English website version).

That being said. CS3 and CS2 with their latest updates lets you control ANY locomotive using the World of Operations features. This is possible because the simulation is purely software driven it has nothing to do with the capabilities of the decoder - at all.

This is only said in the update informations 1.4.0 for the CS 3.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ate_1_4-0_info-02_en.pdf

In the update information 4.2.x it is not.

http://streaming.maerkli...update_4_2_0_info-en.pdf

"The following items are included in the update to Software Version 4.2. for the CS 2:
1. Expansion on corresponding locomotive decoders from the previous 16 functions up to 32 functions.
2. Addition of new engineer's cabs to the mfx+ World of Operation (WoO) mode.
3. Adjustment of certain operating characteristics for the CS 3 procedures."

No word for usage the WoO mode for all locos with an mfx, MM, DCC decoder.

Personally, the real benefit of the World of Operation concept comes when I can make all my locos dependent on fuel. Not just some.

Well I do not have any automatic functions on my layout. I only can use one loco with the WoO mode at the same time. Then I am busy and have to concentrate alone to this loco. First I thought I have to have only locos with the mfx+ functions. Meanwhile I had to learn it is unnecessary. After buying locos without the mfx function I learned it is much more necessary to get the mfx format for the locos, but not the mfx+. This is valid for the consumption function too.