Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nasargy  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2019 08:58:24(UTC)
nasargy

Greece   
Hello everybody,
I have an issue and would like some help if it is possible.

I 've started retrofitting a Marklin diesel loco Class 218 (No 29476), initially equipped with FX decoder, by using the No 60976 Marklin sound decoder (mSD/3).
I have unsolder the wires from the old decoder and resolder the wires to the new decoder 60976, as per instructions of the decoder's manual.

Without change anything in CV values, the sound it is ok , I'm hearing the sounds fine (I have used the bigger loudspeaker of the 60976 set), the lights working ok (they are lighting accordingly to the chosen direction).

But there is no motion !!! At all!!! Neither to one direction nor to the other direction. Not even the smallest movement!!!

Can somebody help me , advise me , or anything?

It is important to say that before start retrofitting , I've tested the loco and was running adequately both directions.

Thanks

IMG_20190508_200804.jpg
Experience is like a comb. You get it when you are already bald
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2019 11:37:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The number one cause of the above symptoms after a conversion is forgetting to put the brushes back in the motor. It might seem obvious but it's had me stumped more than once!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline nasargy  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2019 13:58:54(UTC)
nasargy

Greece   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
The number one cause of the above symptoms after a conversion is forgetting to put the brushes back in the motor. It might seem obvious but it's had me stumped more than once!

Please explain. I hadn't touched at all the motor. The only thing I have done I've soldered the green and blue wires to the resistors. Nothing else.
Offline ktsolias  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2019 14:41:40(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Post a good photo of how the loco is now

From the photo that you have post so far I can see a mess, and a nice opportunity to fry a decoder

Conversions with modern decoders are quite complicated things and require knowledge of the motors the decoders etc

Costas
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2019 20:58:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: nasargy Go to Quoted Post

Please explain. I hadn't touched at all the motor. The only thing I have done I've soldered the green and blue wires to the resistors. Nothing else.

OK, so if you didn't remove the brushes my theory goes out the window! Sorry to have confused you even further!

By the way the "resistors" are actually chokes, or inductors, and they are there to stop high frequency pulses generated by sparks from the motor from frying the decoder. They also function as RF interference suppressors.

Double check all the wiring and maybe resolder the leads to the motor.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline tiono  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2019 03:43:37(UTC)
tiono

United States   
From the photo; the motor is connected to the decoder at the left side, which is not connected to any power cable. (The power cable seems to feed to the other decoder). Without power into the decoder, surely the motor will not turn.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 11 May 2019 10:07:48(UTC)
H0

On the photo there is the old PCB with the fx decoder and a new PCB without any decoder at all.

The simple conversion would have been to keep the old PCB, replace the decoder, and solder two speaker wires to the old PCB. Been there, done that, easy.

On the photo there really is a mess, as stated before. Two PCBs, but only one decoder. And it is unclear how connections are in detail.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 13 May 2019 03:49:35(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I have had the same thing happen to me - and like Ray, more than once!
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline nasargy  
#9 Posted : 13 May 2019 10:28:00(UTC)
nasargy

Greece   
Hello everybody

Many thanks for your messages.

The problem was the no conductivity to the green motor cable, after a bad wire soldering.
The issue has been solved and now the loco works fine.
The photo is from a pre-mature step, while I was trying how to arrange cables and decoder.
During all trials to operate the loco I have been using the appropriate PCB and its decoder. At this time, I had the issue described above, due to the bad wire soldering .

The photo below shows a more recent image of the locomotive condition.
I have admit that I must improve the settle of the wires.
Thanks again for your help and comments.

IMG_20190512_125416.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by nasargy