Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Copenhagen  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2019 11:31:06(UTC)
Copenhagen

Edit 10th of June: Got an answer from Märklin Service June the fifth which I've added later in this thread (they'll try and fix it in an upcoming patch).

I've encountered a serious malfunction when working with track diagrams in CS3 v 1.4.0

Don't recreate my findings without having a workable backup of your CS3. Also I don't know if this is already common knowledge to CS3 owners.

In edit mode there are no arrows for resizing diagram size in the top end of the diagram and in the left hand end of the diagram. This means that you can't resize in certain directions. This has been possible before as it can be seen in Maerklin's book "Running Trains Digitally with the Central Station 3". The arrows can also be seen in this official Maerklin youtube video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V5pwmjO88RY

The function Move selection onto TDCB section and Copy selection onto TDCB section moves the selected items to an area where most of the items are off the track diagram (up in the top left corner) and therefore it is impossible to use these (Well you can use the functions but they'll destroy your neat track diagrams!). Edit: and you can't delete the affected track diagrams because there are invisible/unreachable items on them.

Probably as a consequence of the above two problems you can run into a situation where minimizing one or more track diagrams can make the CS3 crash every time you go into edit mode and try to select one of the faulty diagrams.

If you want to test my findings be sure to use a CS3 where everything has been backed up first.

I have sent my findings by mail also to maerklin.de

Edited by user 10 June 2019 14:10:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2019 07:02:23(UTC)
Goofy

Interesting nobody other did react too if there is deafult in the software.
I suppose we have to wait until Märklin fix the bugs/problem until next time of upgrade again?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Copenhagen  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2019 11:32:57(UTC)
Copenhagen

I got a response in a Danish forum from a Märklin expert (not full time employee of Märklin) who knew about the issue. He knew about the malfunction of the Copy and Move functions and had sent his findings to service (a) maerklin.de and he urged me to do the same because more responses would help speed up the process of getting a software update.

To me it has been a minor inconvenience but to others it can be more severe if several weeks or months of work on the CS3 is ruined and they have to revert to an older backup of their system.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline jwalt2065  
#4 Posted : 28 April 2019 04:50:47(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
I posted this problem weeks ago (see Track/items Cut Off in TDCB).
I asked readers to let me know if they have this problem or not, but for some unknown reason, nobody responded to my query.

I emailed Guy at AJCKids (where I bought my CS3 in the U.S.) about this and also to Rick Sinclair (Marklin Dudes) from the Marklin newsletters.
Guy told me that the Marklin Dudes are working with Marklin to get this corrected.

John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jwalt2065
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2019 07:35:06(UTC)
Goofy

I recommended you wait until next upgrade where Märklin did solved the problems.
To leave the CS3 to Märklin by fix it will take weeks or even months to fix the problem.
It is not worth it!
Märklin latest upgraded july 2018 to february 2019 toke about six and half months for the customer to wait!! Cursing

H0
Offline Copenhagen  
#6 Posted : 28 April 2019 11:25:28(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: jwalt2065 Go to Quoted Post
I asked readers to let me know if they have this problem or not, but for some unknown reason, nobody responded to my query.

I emailed Guy at AJCKids (where I bought my CS3 in the U.S.) about this and also to Rick Sinclair (Marklin Dudes) from the Marklin newsletters.
Guy told me that the Marklin Dudes are working with Marklin to get this corrected.

John

Great to hear that there is attention to the issues. Sorry I didn't search this forum well enough so that I could have posted in your thread.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#7 Posted : 28 April 2019 14:27:32(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I recommended you wait until next upgrade where Märklin did solved the problems.
To leave the CS3 to Märklin by fix it will take weeks or even months to fix the problem.
It is not worth it!

But, but, but wait! Didn't you just order a new CS3? You are a really interesting person...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 28 April 2019 15:21:36(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post

But, but, but wait! Didn't you just order a new CS3? You are a really interesting person...

Well, that is one way to describe Anders... BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 28 April 2019 15:29:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Well, that is one way to describe Anders... BigGrin

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 28 April 2019 17:22:19(UTC)
Goofy

Why is there no information from other members here about errors in Track diagrams?
H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 28 April 2019 17:30:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Why is there no information from other members here about errors in Track diagrams?

Well, everyone could post a repeat of exactly the same information, but what is the use of doing that? We have two people who have posted, so that seems to show that it is a real bug rather than finger trouble by one person, what else do we need to know Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Copenhagen  
#12 Posted : 28 April 2019 18:57:11(UTC)
Copenhagen

If the errors weren't present in system versions previous to 1.4.0 most users wouldn't have come across them, I think.
Offline MaerklinLife  
#13 Posted : 28 April 2019 19:26:47(UTC)
MaerklinLife

My guess: Only a few users actually use the copy to new board feature. Simple as that. It is not the most prominent feature and most users just draw on one track board.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Purellum  
#14 Posted : 28 April 2019 19:40:52(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

You are a really interesting person...

A very polite way to describe Anders............... LOL

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 28 April 2019 19:48:24(UTC)
TEEWolf

Too lazy to write about itBlink or whatever.BigGrin Not everybody likes to write in a forum about his experiences.

But last week Thursday April, 25th, again I attended a digital day from Märklin at a Märklin dealer. Another CS 3 user discussed his software problems of his CS 3 with the official Märklin employee at this digital day. Sorry do not remember his name, but he was a young guy, very well trained and interested in the CS 3 (yes, it was very impressive as quick and perfect he used the CS 3 and answered quickly all questions about a CS 3). He also told us, Märklin knows about these problems and is very well aware about it. Nevertheless he also requested the inquirer to write an e-mail to Märklin service, telling them his problem. He said all this different depictions of software problems will help the software developers to solve these problems for the next updates.

@Copenhagen did the right thing: writing to Märklin telling them his problem and reporting in this forum about it. He helped all of us. Thanks @Copenhagen.ThumpUp
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline jwalt2065  
#16 Posted : 01 May 2019 16:15:05(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post

If the errors weren't present in system versions previous to 1.4.0 most users wouldn't have come across them, I think.

I believe you are correct.
I just got my CS3 and wanted to learn all it can do so I know what is at my disposal.
If I had an earlier version that did not have this problem, I would not have discovered the error in the update until I actually needed to use that feature.

Regards,
John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jwalt2065
Offline TEEWolf  
#17 Posted : 01 May 2019 17:46:39(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post

I believe you are correct.
I just got my CS3 and wanted to learn all it can do so I know what is at my disposal.
If I had an earlier version that did not have this problem, I would not have discovered the error in the update until I actually needed to use that feature.

Regards,
John

Sorry John,

but I still cannot find your first post, telling about this CS 3 mistake. Honestly I do not understand your cryptic "see Track/items Cut Off in TDCB". Where is your post?

Regards

TEEWolf
Offline Purellum  
#18 Posted : 01 May 2019 18:05:16(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Where is your post?

On marklin-users.net / m-users / users.net; but never on marklin-users.net, as both our Webmaster and administrators politely have tried to tell you. Cool

Unfortunately you still don't respect this. Cool

https://www.marklin-user...ck-Items-cut-off-in-TDCB

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#19 Posted : 01 May 2019 22:13:18(UTC)
Minok

United States   

What does TDCB stand for?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Purellum  
#20 Posted : 01 May 2019 22:22:29(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

In this context: Track Diagram Control Board Cool

I think it's one more of the strange self-invented abbreviations, this time by Märklin,
used 11 times in the English CS3 manual and apparently also in the CS3 itself..... Blink

http://streaming.maerkli...3_Manual_EN_final-lo.pdf

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#21 Posted : 02 May 2019 05:15:18(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Yeah, one would have thought that Track Plan would have been more appropriate.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline Goofy  
#22 Posted : 02 May 2019 07:57:53(UTC)
Goofy

I have just bought a USB stick and will first download security my CS3 by save.
I shall test to see what it happens if there is errors in the track diagrams.
H0
Offline Copenhagen  
#23 Posted : 02 May 2019 14:02:19(UTC)
Copenhagen

I have just bought a USB stick and will first download security my CS3 by save.
I shall test to see what it happens if there is errors in the track diagrams.

You can make internal backups on your CS3. Just edit the name so it doesn't overwrite the ones you already have (it uses a standard name like "backup01.zip" so change it to something else). Haven't figured out how to make a backup on a USB stick).
Offline jwalt2065  
#24 Posted : 02 May 2019 21:42:56(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   

Sorry John,

but I still cannot find your first post, telling about this CS 3 mistake. Honestly I do not understand your cryptic "see Track/items Cut Off in TDCB". Where is your post?

Regards

TEEWolf

Just look down the "Digital" category where you found this post subject "Serious errors in Track Diagrams..." and you will find it.
Since Marklin refers to the track layout screen as the Track Diagram Control Board, I figured everyone knew what TDCB meant.
Maybe that's why this post has over 500 views and mine has just 100 views.
Perhaps the moderator should move my post to this thread.

Regards,
John
Offline jwalt2065  
#25 Posted : 02 May 2019 22:37:31(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post

In this context: Track Diagram Control Board Cool

I think it's one more of the strange self-invented abbreviations, this time by Märklin,
used 11 times in the English CS3 manual and apparently also in the CS3 itself..... Blink

http://streaming.maerkli...3_Manual_EN_final-lo.pdf

Per.

Cool

I looked at the English manual and it looks as though Marklin refers to the track layout screen as the Track Diagram Control Screen and the individual windows in it as the Track Diagram Control Boards.
In the book "Running Trains Digitally with the Central Station 3", they seem to just use the term Track Diagram Control Board or TDCB.
Not sure how it is referred to in the other languages, which may cause confusion.
Offline TEEWolf  
#26 Posted : 03 May 2019 00:48:57(UTC)
TEEWolf

I looked at the English manual and it looks as though Marklin refers to the track layout screen as the Track Diagram Control Screen and the individual windows in it as the Track Diagram Control Boards.
In the book "Running Trains Digitally with the Central Station 3", they seem to just use the term Track Diagram Control Board or TDCB.
Not sure how it is referred to in the other languages, which may cause confusion.

Have you seen our "Dictionary of Abbreviations" thread?

https://www.marklin-user...tionary-of-Abbreviations

Also, first time using an abbreviation, I write the full words behind it or you will find it in the abbreviation thread.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline jwalt2065  
#27 Posted : 03 May 2019 01:03:54(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   

Have you seen our "Dictionary of Abbreviations" thread?

https://www.marklin-user...tionary-of-Abbreviations

Also, first time using an abbreviation, I write the full words behind it or you will find it in the abbreviation thread.

Thanks TEEWolf.
No, I didn't know there was a dictionary of abbreviations. Good to know.
In my first post, I said "track plan (TDCB)" and then just refered to it as TDCB, but you would have to read the post to know that, so the title should have been clearer I guess.

Regards,
John

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jwalt2065
Offline Copenhagen  
#28 Posted : 10 June 2019 13:00:20(UTC)
Copenhagen

Got an answer from Märklin Service on June 5th.: "please excuse this bug in the software of the CS 3. We hope that we can correct it with the next update."
So maybe this will be fixed with patch 1.4.2.
Offline Goofy  
#29 Posted : 10 June 2019 14:27:52(UTC)
Goofy

I too do have errors with the TDCB. I did posted pictures to Märklin about my problems.
H0