Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Sean Fanelli  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2019 13:10:31(UTC)
Sean Fanelli

I have discovered AC ESU loks and think they are great, especially for the sounds, i.e. squealing sounds as the lok goes around curve.

There are some issues that I would like your help dealing with.

I am using a CS 3+ to control the loks on a predominantly Marklin layout. Once placed on the track the ESU lok is recognized as MFX and not DCC. This limits the lok to only 14 functions but with DCC there are upwards of 28 or more functions.

Can the CS 3+ be forced to recognize DCC before MFX loks?

Or is there a way to get the CS 3+ to recognize all of the loks functions?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2019 13:54:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Sean Fanelli Go to Quoted Post
I have discovered AC ESU loks and think they are great, especially for the sounds, i.e. squealing sounds as the lok goes around curve.

There are some issues that I would like your help dealing with.

I am using a CS 3+ to control the loks on a predominantly Marklin layout. Once placed on the track the ESU lok is recognized as MFX and not DCC. This limits the lok to only 14 functions but with DCC there are upwards of 28 or more functions.

Can the CS 3+ be forced to recognize DCC before MFX loks?

Or is there a way to get the CS 3+ to recognize all of the loks functions?

The best way is to turn off mfx protocol in the loco decoder. The cs3 will then no longer recognise it as an mfx decoder and you can then put it on the programming track and get the cs3 to find it. You can then set up all the functions on the cs3, and change the loco address to one you can use, it probably comes with the DCC default of 3.

To do all this you will probably need to put the cs3 into DCC only mode, at least while you turn off mfx mode in the decoder, and then look up the relevant CV in the loco documentation to find which register controls the protocols it will use. Turn the appropriate bit off and you should be happy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan