Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline QQQ1970  
#101 Posted : 16 December 2018 15:58:07(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
I recently upgraded CS3 software. I now see 18527 lok image but I don't see Rheingold car image. Does anyone see one or am I missing something?
Offline QQQ1970  
#102 Posted : 14 April 2019 15:52:48(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Any update?
Offline TEEWolf  
#103 Posted : 14 April 2019 18:36:03(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
I recently upgraded CS3 software. I now see 18527 lok image but I don't see Rheingold car image. Does anyone see one or am I missing something?

Why do you not adding the loco image you want to your CS 3 by yourself? See page 11 in the CS 3 manual.

https://www.maerklin.de/...NUAL_CS3_DE-EN_17-02.pdf
Offline QQQ1970  
#104 Posted : 15 April 2019 00:06:57(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Done
Offline TEEWolf  
#105 Posted : 15 April 2019 00:29:41(UTC)
TEEWolf

Done

Sounds like another marklin-users.net member is happy with its CS 3.BigGrin ThumpUp
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#106 Posted : 15 April 2019 03:41:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like another marklin-users.net member is happy......

I think it is probably best to stop using the term 'MUN', as this abbreviation is also used for 'Model United Nations' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_United_Nations

While Juhan would definitely qualify to hold the United Nations General Secretary role, it is best not to confuse marklin-users.net with the United Nations.
Offline TEEWolf  
#107 Posted : 16 April 2019 17:22:41(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like another marklin-users.net member is happy......

I think it is probably best to stop using the term 'MUN', as this abbreviation is also used for 'Model United Nations' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_United_Nations

While Juhan would definitely qualify to hold the United Nations General Secretary role, it is best not to confuse marklin-users.net with the United Nations.

??? Confused Confused Confused ???
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#108 Posted : 16 April 2019 17:56:25(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Although one could say that märklin-users.net has indeed "united" many nations under its umbrella...

I have heard of The Model United Nations, and in fact my dear Financial Director participated in a version of this in high school as well as "Girls' State" which involved attending some State Legislature sessions (Colorado US) - and I think it did have an effect on her "vision" of politics...

Perhaps we could say:

m-u.n ?Wink

Jimmy

p.s. - Lisa Simpson and some of her classmates also had a version of this:
https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Model_U.N._Club

p.p.s. sorry for drifting off topic from Das Rheingold...back to it!
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline TEEWolf  
#109 Posted : 16 April 2019 18:44:56(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
Although one could say that märklin-users.net has indeed "united" many nations under its umbrella...

I have heard of The Model United Nations, and in fact my dear Financial Director participated in a version of this in high school as well as "Girls' State" which involved attending some State Legislature sessions (Colorado US) - and I think it did have an effect on her "vision" of politics...

Perhaps we could say:

m-u.n ?Wink

Jimmy

p.s. - Lisa Simpson and some of her classmates also had a version of this:
https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Model_U.N._Club

p.p.s. sorry for drifting off topic from Das Rheingold...back to it!

I think, not you drifted off topic. It was BD New Zealand.

The post is in blue text, which means I'm speaking as a Moderator which means I'm quite entitled to go off topic. It also means I'm asking you to do something and I'm not expecting any argument in return....(Sorry if you think I'm being too blunt) /BDNZ

I do not understand him, e.g. take CAN and see it at Wikipedia "CAN may refer to:"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN

Even at our MUN-club well know "CAN bus" is on this list.Blink Smile

Edited by moderator 17 April 2019 02:51:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline dickinsonj  
#110 Posted : 17 April 2019 01:58:01(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Even at our MUN-club well know "CAN bus" is on this list.Blink Smile

April the first is over, right? BigGrin

I can make this even uglier still, if anyone cares to listen. Cool

The whole Märklin digital (or any other flavor of digital) MRR control system is actually a CAN bus. Where the CS or ECoS or PC is the controller and the area is the layout and individual decoders and the bus is the track. That CAN bus is supported by Märklin electronics which are organized into a lower level CAN bus consisting of a controller(CS#) and repeaters(boosters) and a network (terminals) to provide the overall system functionality.

Maybe we could just talk about our amazing model trains and the cool stuff that we can do with their digital controls - perhaps we could even discuss the Rheingold #26928. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Webmaster  
#111 Posted : 17 April 2019 18:12:33(UTC)
Webmaster

<Off-topic>

I completely understand that the site name takes a bit longer to type and wears out your keyboard, so abbreviations are a natural thing to invent...

marklin-users.net is in upper case letters, and has nothing to do with marklin-users.net, m-users or even marklin-users.net since the site name does not use upper case letters neither in the logo nor the site title...

So technically and grammatically marklin-users.net is actually completely wrong in all ways... Only the spelling is "somewhat ok"... BigGrin

Maybe the official short form for the forum name should be m-u.n c|F... BigGrin RollEyes LOL

</Off-topic>

Now back to the Rheingold model topic... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline QQQ1970  
#112 Posted : 15 October 2019 03:33:04(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Lately when I turn on CS3, the lights on the Rheingold cars flash once briefly even when the lights are off. Looks like there is electrical charge on the cars. How to fix it?
Offline supermoee  
#113 Posted : 22 October 2019 11:42:02(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
probably it's caused by the fact thast initially the decoder is interprating the start tension on the track as analogue and it is switching on the light. Afterwards it recognizes that the tension is digital and it switsches the lights back off. I would try 2 attemps in the decoder programmation:

- modify the "function on" mapping on analogue operation by setting the light function on off

or

- switch off the analogue recognition of the decoder

rgds

Stephan
Offline michelvr  
#114 Posted : 22 October 2019 15:31:03(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Lately when I turn on CS3, the lights on the Rheingold cars flash once briefly even when the lights are off. Looks like there is electrical charge on the cars. How to fix it?

Hello!BigGrin

Remember at Rogers operating session he had sections of sidings where he had a kill switch to turn off the track power. I think that is a good way of preventing what happened to your Rheingold car set. The sections where the power is off will prevent this from happening. As we know from experience leaving all the “consumers of power, ie locomotives” on the tracks can be potentially risky. Especially when you turn on you command station you might get a spike of current causing the decoder to fail, potentially! It's a good idea to have sections of you layout where you engines can be turned off from the power.

Doesn't hurt to design this power shutoff on sidings and who know it might help in protecting the delicate decoders!

Comments welcome.
Offline QQQ1970  
#115 Posted : 22 October 2019 17:46:40(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Thanks Michel. The lights didn't flash when I took delivery. It only happened recently so I wonder if there is an electrical charge in the cars that caused the issue. My other cars don't have the same problem.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by QQQ1970
Offline kiwiAlan  
#116 Posted : 22 October 2019 23:39:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks Michel. The lights didn't flash when I took delivery. It only happened recently so I wonder if there is an electrical charge in the cars that caused the issue. My other cars don't have the same problem.

I think it is more likely that an update to the cs3 has made a subtle change ot the way it turns the track power on.

Offline QQQ1970  
#117 Posted : 23 October 2019 00:33:21(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Bit it doesn't affect my other cars on the same layout.
Offline husafreak  
#118 Posted : 15 April 2020 18:38:40(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I just purchased this set, it's still in transit. There is some discussion here about the correct order of the cars. The Marklin New Items 2018 catalog shows this set (incorrectly) with the baggage car at the rear but the companion Z gauge set (Marklin 81332) from the same catalog shows it correctly between the tender and the coaches. So I wonder why? Was put there because the red "tail lights" are on the baggage car and Marklin is trying to reuse a previous design? Or maybe for power transfer and digital operation it is needed? Or whoever put it together at Marklin didn't do their homework? I ask because I know little about trains, learning though! But I often wonder when placing my collection of Z gauge trains together where to but the baggage or other cars. Most of the pictures I see online or in books show a variety of placement.
Offline H0  
#119 Posted : 15 April 2020 18:44:59(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Most of the pictures I see online or in books show a variety of placement.
The safety regulations of the DRG in the 1920s required a car without passengers behind the loco. This safety requirement was abandoned some time in the 1930s and it was then OK to have coaches directly behind the loco and baggage cars in the middle or at the end of the train.

Maybe only the baggage car is prepared for red rear lights. The red lights can be controlled with a decoder and you can easily run the baggage car directly behind the loco with the red rear lights turned off.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline husafreak  
#120 Posted : 15 April 2020 19:17:21(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Very informative, it is good to know why things are. But of course, my inner child wants to see red lights at the end of the train! LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline TEEWolf  
#121 Posted : 15 April 2020 23:42:47(UTC)
TEEWolf

Very informative, it is good to know why things are. But of course, my inner child wants to see red lights at the end of the train! LOL

train composition for the Rheingold 1928 - 1939
http://www.heinrich-hank...bildung/e2_rheingold.htm

a few words about the train "Rheingold"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheingold_(train)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline husafreak  
#122 Posted : 21 April 2020 05:46:50(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I received mine a couple of days ago and got to enjoy it today. Wow! I love the detail and the lights in the cars and well, it's my first HO loco and it is really something great to me. I don't know how to hold it though, LOL, there's only a few places you can grab any of these cars without breaking something. With Z it's always one hand, but with these you need two. I have a newbie question about the DCC operation of these that I would like to ask here. As delivered both the loco and baggage car have standard short address 3. And I was running the entire train with both the loco and cars responding to that one address. It seems like there is actually some clever combinations going on but still you get a whistle from the loco with an and an announcement from the cars with your one button push. They both respond. Do you guys typically assign a different address to the loco and the car set (decoder is in baggage car) and go back and forth between the to to get just the one function you want? And if so is there a "conventional" way to do that, like pick the baggage car number for the car set.
Offline mrmarklin  
#123 Posted : 21 April 2020 06:47:56(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
For DCC 03 is the default address for all decoders AFAIK. Yes, this is usually changed for convenience.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline husafreak  
#124 Posted : 21 April 2020 07:33:35(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Well yes, do you usually give the loco and cars their own different address for operating functions, or is that unnecessary with say, a CS3?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#125 Posted : 21 April 2020 08:42:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Well yes, do you usually give the loco and cars their own different address for operating functions, or is that unnecessary with say, a CS3?

With a cs3 they will identify separately using mfx, not DCC, Stops it being a problem.
Offline husafreak  
#126 Posted : 21 April 2020 17:45:39(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
OK I wondered about that. With my NCE DCC system there is at least a recall function to toggle back and forth with one button press. I will actually operate this on the layout with a Roco z21. I’ll wait until I have that and see how it operates to set new DCC addresses for the loco and car set.
Offline TEEWolf  
#127 Posted : 22 April 2020 02:40:41(UTC)
TEEWolf

OK I wondered about that. With my NCE DCC system there is at least a recall function to toggle back and forth with one button press. I will actually operate this on the layout with a Roco z21. I’ll wait until I have that and see how it operates to set new DCC addresses for the loco and car set.

As enthusistic you are writing, I would like to make a bet with you. Smile Sooner or later you switch from your Roco z21 to a Maerklin CS 3 for several various reasons. One will be to get rid of your DCC address management. Maerklin is doing this digital address management with ist mfx feedback decoders within its CS 3 automatically. Meanwhile Maerklin offers mfx not only for locos and train coaches. You get mfx decoders in various types, signals, etc.. You add a mfx decoder to your layout, a CS 3 recognizes and registers it. That is all. You forget the digital address. Of course you can see in the CS 3 all setted digital informations in its various screens, and, and ... Read the rest in the new Maerklin book about digital driving.BigGrin
Offline husafreak  
#128 Posted : 22 April 2020 04:51:50(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Probably correct! But I am mostly modeling Z scale because of space constraints and this HO layout will be running on a wide beam that separates Living and Family rooms in my house. A simple oval and it would be a waste of a CXS3. But CS3 is too good for Z scale! Looking at the Marklin MFX booklet included in my HO set I can see how fascinating that could be!
Offline H0  
#129 Posted : 22 April 2020 08:12:18(UTC)
H0

As enthusistic you are writing, I would like to make a bet with you. Smile Sooner or later you switch from your Roco z21 to a Maerklin CS 3 for several various reasons.
Well, who knows?
I disabled mfx in my Central Station because mfx is an unreliable PITA and I prefer to manage DCC addresses manually. Thus I have full control and full reliability.
Disadvantage is that most of my mfx locos have to use MM as the fallback protocol with some restrictions as far as usable functions go. Only few of my Märklin locos have DCC ex works.

With respect to usability, I prefer my Central Station (with v 4.x) over my CS2. IMHO the CS2 is much better than the CS3 with respect to usability - but maybe my fingers are just too thick for the tiny elements on the CS3 screen.

If I would start new I would think about getting a Z21 and a Roco WLAN Mouse.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline husafreak  
#130 Posted : 23 April 2020 05:40:31(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Changing the discussion slightly i would like to ask how you HO pros handle your steam locos? The detail and fineness of the parts on this engine are very good. I thought coming to HO from Z that everything would be bigger but in reality you have lots of details that are as tiny and fragile as anything on a Z scale loco, but this engine ways A LOT more. Say I want to turn it over and oil it? If I just roll it over, even on foam, something is going to break, like those tiny corner posts for instance. But first I have to figure out how to uncouple the loco from the cars, I got them together but now I'm stumped! LOL
Offline husafreak  
#131 Posted : 23 April 2020 08:39:18(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I bought some smoke fluid for it today, Sleuth? Apparently it is the fluid sold by Marklin also just rebadged. Any tips for this loco? And is it clean smoke production with these newer locos? If I stain stuff around my track in the house or get the loco or cars oily or stained I would be unhappy. I assume it is clean but somewhere I read it can be messy, but not discussing these Marklin loco's.
Offline mvd71  
#132 Posted : 23 April 2020 08:41:58(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Loll pop stick, or ice block stick will suffice in place of the Märklin plastic stick.you need to use the stick to press up on the underside of both couplers to get the loops to lift and release off the hooks.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#133 Posted : 23 April 2020 09:01:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I bought some smoke fluid for it today, Sleuth? Apparently it is the fluid sold by Marklin also just rebadged. Any tips for this loco? And is it clean smoke production with these newer locos? If I stain stuff around my track in the house or get the loco or cars oily or stained I would be unhappy. I assume it is clean but somewhere I read it can be messy, but not discussing these Marklin loco's.

The smoke fluid is a very light oil which is heated by an element in the smoke unit. The result is smoke like you get from a hot fry pan or barbeque, and can leave an oily residue on the top of the loco.

Offline husafreak  
#134 Posted : 23 April 2020 18:57:43(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Hmmm, I was excited to try the smoke it looks so cool. Do many HO and larger modelers refuse it to preserve their trains? Or is it just part of the game that we all enjoy and accept the consequences? It sounds like something you either never do or once you've done it there is no going back. When buying used HO loco's is it something where you avoid buying one that has used smoke oil?
Offline H0  
#135 Posted : 23 April 2020 19:03:07(UTC)
H0

My experience: after running a steamer with smoke the loco has many stains from the smoke fluid that was spit out of the smoke stack. Shocking view.
But one week later the loco usually looks clean again as the smoke fluid has completely evaporated.

Tipp: Remove dust before running the train with smoke.

That's my experience. Your mileage may vary and others may have had other experiences.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline husafreak  
#136 Posted : 23 April 2020 19:34:30(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
That is good to know, it will soften the blow when or if I succumb to temptation.
Offline mvd71  
#137 Posted : 23 April 2020 19:53:07(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I use smoke units all the time. As Tom pointed out, can get some splatter, but it's no problem as the smoke fluid is solvent based and often used by people as a cleaning agent on dirty locos. It won't do your loco any harm at all.

In regards to secondhand, no worries there either, although if it's had a lot of use the smoke unit may not perform that well
Offline husafreak  
#138 Posted : 02 June 2020 05:28:49(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
As enthusistic you are writing, I would like to make a bet with you. Smile Sooner or later you switch from your Roco z21 to a Maerklin CS 3 for several various reasons.
Well, who knows?
I disabled mfx in my Central Station because mfx is an unreliable PITA and I prefer to manage DCC addresses manually. Thus I have full control and full reliability.
Disadvantage is that most of my mfx locos have to use MM as the fallback protocol with some restrictions as far as usable functions go. Only few of my Märklin locos have DCC ex works.
Offline husafreak  
#139 Posted : 02 June 2020 05:31:37(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I finally got my z21 and I'm using it with the Rheingold set. I am using the z21 in the DCC setting. There is also a "Motorola" setting but I am not sure Motorola=mfx+ The biggest problem is changing addresses! This was only accomplished for the loco by using a two digit address and could not be accomplished for the cars, they are stuck on 3. But hey I'm driving my train :) Of course Marklin makes the cool station announcements Function 29-31 and so I'll have to figure out how to reprogram those addresses.
Such a nice loco though and a lot of fun to drive and listen too. i have my little bottle of smoke fluid so one day I'll get to try that. But not on our dining room table.

Offline H0  
#140 Posted : 03 June 2020 10:18:13(UTC)
H0

Of course Marklin makes the cool station announcements Function 29-31 and so I'll have to figure out how to reprogram those addresses.
This can easily be done with a Central Station or ECoS. Do you know someone with such a device?
If the loco supports DCC then it should also be possible with CV programming, but this will be complicated and time-consuming.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline husafreak  
#141 Posted : 03 June 2020 17:39:37(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I did get the baggage car address reprogrammed by having it on the track with the loco and then removing it and reprogramming the loco back to what I wanted. But the z21 and Marklin do not play well together for CV programming. Lots of error messages and I thought I had lost them both several times, only multiple attemps and power cycles got it done. So i would be crazy to try to reprogram the CV's for functions and decided I would not on my own. But you suggestion is a great one and next time our sort of local chapter of the European modelers society gets together I'll be there with this train. They have mostly Marklin HO and there should be Central Stations on hand.
Offline husafreak  
#142 Posted : 19 June 2020 02:34:01(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Has anyone taken one of these locos apart to grease it? Maybe there is a trick to it? I removed the four screws shown in the instructions but could not lift off the body from the chassis. I pulled a little and the cab came off :( I could pick it up by the boiler and stacks and shake it but it remains together. Then I tried to gently pry up with a small plastic scraper type tool where I believe the separation should be but nothing would budge and I was not about to try harder and risk breaking something. I did note that one of the body screws had its head scraped and chewed up :( :( So my brand new loco had at least one ham fisted ape with the wrong tool working on it at some point, here's hoping whoever did that didn't glue it back together...
Offline husafreak  
#143 Posted : 26 July 2020 00:34:19(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I have a new development with this car set. After several months of normal operation the coach lights are now muting any sound output. This without any changes at all on my part. Maybe it is a Marklin issue? For example if I start an announcement and then turn the coach lights on the announcement is muted, if I quickly turn the lights off I will hear the end of the announcement. So the announcement is running just muted for the duration the lights are on. No sounds are possible with the lights on. Controller is a z21 but I have no idea if the problem lies with the train or the controller.
Offline river6109  
#144 Posted : 26 July 2020 02:22:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
looks and sound like voltage problem
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline husafreak  
#145 Posted : 26 July 2020 15:35:46(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
In the car or the controller?
Offline husafreak  
#146 Posted : 23 September 2020 03:38:56(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Ah, the continuing saga, I decided today would be a good day to clean the tracks I laid for my 26928 set several months ago. I also cleaned the center rail (C track) contact "ski" on the bottom of my loco and baggage car. And suddenly I can have lights and sounds at the same time from my cars. That made me very happy. As my wife is fond of saying, "it works when it wants to work"! No reprogramming necessary. Could it be Marklin "C" track needs breaking in? The shoe on the loco looked the same after I cleaned it (rubbing alcohol on a t-shirt) but the shoe on the baggage car was noticeably cleaner.