Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Defke  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2019 11:38:51(UTC)
Defke

Belgium   
Hello,

I ran into an issue with my cs2 ( haven't tested this on my cs3+ yet)

i put in a MANUAL ip address for example 192.168.12.4

it works ( offcourse), however, when i restart the system, or when i power it up again, it is for example at 192.168.12.5.

so i am a bit confused, i am a network admin, when you put fixed ip address, it should be fixed, unless the ip stack is fooling around with me.

anyone suggestion? or anyone experienced the same ?bug?

kind regards
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2019 14:23:12(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
You should log on to your router. It should be possible to limit the DHCP range of IP addresses in the router. The DHCP address range is the range of IP addresses that the DHCP server can assign to network devices. IP addresses outside of the DHCP address range are reserved for statically addressed computers.

e.g.:

From 192.168.0.1
To 192.168.0.50

If you set the address of the CS2 to e.g. 192.168.0.51, it should then be static.

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Defke  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2019 15:59:27(UTC)
Defke

Belgium   
Hello,

Is that a new implementation of tcp?

when i set a static ip address, it does not ask for dhcp address 'normally', unless marklin's implementation is a new interpretation....
Offline PMPeter  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2019 16:08:05(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I have the same problem. I have set up my IP address as a manual fixed address. However, after any CS2 update or CS2 crash the IP address as well as the DNS Server address change. Under normal operation you would not know, but since I use Rocrail I can always tell due to the lack of communication.

Normal shutdowns or reboots do not change the address, only the updates and crashes. It appears that the addresses it changes to are always the same so I wonder where it is getting them from.

Peter
Offline Defke  
#5 Posted : 15 April 2019 16:18:59(UTC)
Defke

Belgium   
Hello Peter,

It is not that it crashed, i do normal shutdown.

i have the feeling that it is somewhere a cache in the eth setting, since it is a linux system.

I have to verify my cs3+ if it has the same issue. I just found out the problem, since i am developing a program to mange my trains, and when i start i see a message ( i throw) that he cannot connect, then i know i have to change the ip address in my settings file and it works again... until the next day when i develop further, same shit.
How hard can it be when you put fixed ip address it stays fixed, it is basic network implementation.

koen
Offline PMPeter  
#6 Posted : 15 April 2019 17:24:15(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I do not think I have had it change after a normal shutdown, but perhaps it has. I will need to keep an eye on it. The most common occurrence is after a CS2 update over the network rather than using a USB.
Offline PeFu  
#7 Posted : 15 April 2019 20:18:23(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Defke Go to Quoted Post

Setting static adresses out of the DHCP range is a general recommended procedure since long...

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline clapcott  
#8 Posted : 16 April 2019 01:27:43(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Defke Go to Quoted Post

when i set a static ip address, it does not ask for dhcp address 'normally', unless marklin's implementation is a new interpretation....

It is the IP part of TCP/IP not strictly the TCP part.

It may not "ask for an address" initially but it will have to cope with a contending address on the network when it tries to open the port and finds someone is using the address already.

The reactive behavior (of the CS driver) in this case might very well be to revert to DHCP.

As already mentioned, a prerequisite for setting a Static IP address is to know for sure that no-one else is using that address now or is likely to in the future.
This implies being aware of the address range that is being managed by any DHCP service(s) on the accessible network that they might grant to other new devices as they come along.

Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott