Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cargodog  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2019 09:14:37(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Good after morning,

Are there anyone here that has any experience with using MTH loco’s on Märklin track? If so, how is the compatibility? Any problems for an ECOS to read the decoder? And finally, how is the quality?

I love my Märklin but I feel a bit limited when it comes to locomotives - especially on American models.

Thanks in advance
If everything's under control, you're just not going fast enough.
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2019 10:07:59(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Cargodog Go to Quoted Post
Good after morning,

Are there anyone here that has any experience with using MTH loco’s on Märklin track? If so, how is the compatibility? Any problems for an ECOS to read the decoder? And finally, how is the quality?

I love my Märklin but I feel a bit limited when it comes to locomotives - especially on American models.

Thanks in advance

I'd say simply : stay away from MTH products.
Yes very nice choice and a treasure for those of us (like yours truly..) who are interested in US trains
As long as they are running (when they are..) very nice.
But as soon as there is a problem , there is no serious hope to get it fixed.
First of all , all the ones that passed through my hands showed very poor craftsmanship: loose wires everywhere, not very tidy assembly, a nightmare to reassemble (and I have repaired model trains for 65 years!)
Then , there is no serious hope (at least outside the US of A) to get a reasonable response from the service dept! I have now for example been waiting for two year for a decoder replacement.
When calling directly (from here in Europe) the answer is "we are very busy here..."
Yeah right!
BTW the same applies to the larger scale: I have a freind in Germany with a garden layout: practically every single MTH loco came with a defect, right out of the box.
If you are just looking for shelf queens, go ahead, thay are perfect.
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jerdenberg  
#3 Posted : 13 April 2019 10:09:19(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Hello …,

Experience seems mixed. Some have no problems, at least one (very knowledgeable) other forum member wrote in another thread that he keeps far away from MTH due to bad quality control and questionable decoders, and my own experience with the only MTH model I have is just bad. My MTH Challenger model looks fine, the sounds are nice, controlling it with my CS2 is no problem, but its running characteristics are awful, to the extent that presently I do not use the thing other than as "scenery".

[While I was typing my post, the member I referred to above posted himself already :-)]

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline Cargodog  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2019 22:29:13(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Thanks for the reply, guys. It sounds like I’m either stuck with the limited choice from Märklin or play the MTH quality lottery. 🙄

Do you know about any other manufacturers that make Märklin compatible trains?

Thanks...
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 14 April 2019 00:30:25(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Cargodog Go to Quoted Post

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, guys. It sounds like I’m either stuck with the limited choice from Märklin or play the MTH quality lottery. 🙄

Why don't you throw motor and decoder from MTH away and build in a motor from Märklin or Faulhaber (same as Glockenanker) and a new mSD/3 decoder from Märklin? Certainly not cheap, but even cheaper as to throw away the complete MTH loco. And you keep the design of your model.

Quote:
Do you know about any other manufacturers that make Märklin compatible trains?

All trains using AC are able to run on Märklin tracks, but you have to look, if they are analogue or digital locos.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 14 April 2019 15:05:35(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
On the occasion:

https://www.marklin-user...ift-the-shell#post564945

I had to replace the defective decoder (I installed an ESU product). The pickup shoe neither met the quality standard I expected. No need to replace the motor though.
Offline jerdenberg  
#7 Posted : 14 April 2019 16:58:52(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
It would probably be less work to convert a 2-rail model from a more reliable brand than to deal with the MTH stuff :)

Jeroen
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline Alsterstreek  
#8 Posted : 14 April 2019 17:37:46(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Well, neither that is too much fun. Don’t make me post a link to support my claim. There was a reason why I tried my luck with MTH.
Offline jerdenberg  
#9 Posted : 14 April 2019 17:42:04(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
I know it's not easy, but when I converted a Proto SD7 I expected the work and felt satisfaction when I finished it, as opposed to the shattering of my hopes/illusions when I put the MTH thing on the tracks.

Jeroen
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline Cargodog  
#10 Posted : 14 April 2019 22:53:11(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Settoe down, guys. I didn’t mean to start a fight. 😂😂 On a more serious note. Changing motor and/or decoder is not a realistic option for me. I like plug and play, and I don’t have the skills or patience. Also, I’m primarily interested in the MTH Big Boy because of the price and the synchronized chuff and puff. If I start expensive mods it negates the purpose of buying it for the price. Also, I’d lose the synchronized chuff and puff, as far as I understand.

I think I’ll have a look at ESU’s offering for US engines and then I’m just gonna have to bite the bullet on the Märklin Big Boy.

Thanks for all your inputs, it’s been very helpful...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Cargodog
Offline jvuye  
#11 Posted : 16 April 2019 18:13:59(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post
It would probably be less work to convert a 2-rail model from a more reliable brand than to deal with the MTH stuff :)

Jeroen

Absolutely!
I have lots of KATO engines for example, excellent value.
I buy the "vanilla" DC 2 rail version, no decoder and I do the conversion.
Yes it's work but to me way less frustrating than dealing with a wiring more complex tahn a plate of spaghettis!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline mbarreto  
#12 Posted : 16 April 2019 18:59:44(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

After some experiences, I prefer Märklin, specially for steamers where I think Märklin is well ahead.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mbarreto