Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jim@jankowskinet.com  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2019 02:01:39(UTC)
jim@jankowskinet.com

United States   
Hi,

New member, first time poster. Hope everyone is well!

I have some Märklin steam locomotives that I'd like to upgrade to a digital mSD3 SoundDecoder, however I'm not sure which one to purchase, if I can upgrade them myself (I'm pretty good with a soldering iron), or if they can even be upgraded. I've also read that the motor might need to be upgraded to a high-efficiency motor as well.

The locomotives I'd like to upgrade were included in the following Start sets...

Purchased in 1999
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/29625
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/29526

Purchased in 2018
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/29245
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/29322

I've had a very hard time trying to determine the item number for these locomotives from the starter sets. See pictures included below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Jim Jankowski

24014.jpg
41354.jpg
038-382-8.jpg
81006.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jim@jankowskinet.com
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 04 April 2019 04:33:46(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: jim@jankowskinet.com Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I have some Märklin steam locomotives that I'd like to upgrade to a digital mSD3 SoundDecoder, however I'm not sure which one to purchase, if I can upgrade them myself (I'm pretty good with a soldering iron), or if they can even be upgraded. I've also read that the motor might need to be upgraded to a high-efficiency motor as well.

The locomotives I'd like to upgrade were included in the following Start sets...

Purchased in 1999
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/29625
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/29526

Purchased in 2018
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/29245
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/29322

I've had a very hard time trying to determine the item number for these locomotives from the starter sets. See pictures included below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Jim Jankowski

Hello Jim,

welcome at marklin-users.net. Nice sets and locos, but indeed no sound for all of them. The 60975 mSD/3 is the Märklin decoder with a pre setted sound for steamer.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/60975

With these decoders you also get the mfx format too.

Regards

TEEWolf

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline dickinsonj  
#3 Posted : 04 April 2019 15:23:38(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Hi,

Hi Jim - welcome aboard!

The mSD/3 decoder which is preloaded with sounds for a steamer is item #60975. Other than the preloaded sounds they are all the same, but if you get the one for a steamer you will have appropriate sounds even if you don't update anything on the decoder. The motor upgrade kits are inexpensive and will result in much better running. They include a permanent magnet, a new brush plate and a 5 pole armature among other bits and pieces.

I am not familiar with your locos but I'm sure that there are people here who are. At the very least they must have DC motors to work with that decoder, which basically just means changing to a permanent magnet, if they still have coils. My only other concern is that there be enough room in the tender to fit an mSD/3 but there usually is and people who know these models will help you with this too. A tank loco is a bit more space constrained but there might be room in that as well. ESU has a line of tiny decoders that you can fit into almost any model if a Märklin decoder won't fit. This forum is a great resource and the knowledge base here is amazing.

You are near Ormandys, which is one of the best NA dealers around from what I have heard. I would think that a visit there would help you to answer your questions and maybe tempt you to buy a few more things. Cool

The upgrades are not difficult and you should at least try doing one yourself, especially if your soldering skills are good.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Elsleuth1  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2019 18:26:54(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
It costs around $160 for the 5 pole motor upgrade and the latest MSD3 decoder. I just did 4 of my locos and they all run perfectly and sound great. Once you do the upgrade you never want to go back.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Elsleuth1
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2019 18:42:39(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Elsleuth1 Go to Quoted Post
It costs around $160 for the 5 pole motor upgrade and the latest MSD3 decoder. I just did 4 of my locos and they all run perfectly and sound great. Once you do the upgrade you never want to go back.

I agree - the upgrades produce excellent results.

I guess costs may vary depending on the source and motor type but to buy the decoder and the 60941 motor kit for a DCM at AJCKids cost me $122.56 plus shipping. For two small items like that the shipping would only be about $10 from AJCKids who ship for very reasonable prices.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2019 20:52:43(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
As with almost everything the software is key. The software in the decoder that governs the motor can make or break the result. I have found the ESU decoders to be very economical and produce excellent running even with 3-pole rotors. I am saying I would not bother with 5-pole - others clearly have their own opinions.

Certainly converting the motor to DC by replacing the coils with a permanent magnet is the way to go as that allows the decoder to monitor the speed of the motor via back EMF. That in turn enabled it to maintain a constant speed.

I would also caution you on sound decoders everywhere. Do get one with sound if you like the idea, but more than one running in a room quickly gets tiresome.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
#7 Posted : 05 April 2019 01:25:19(UTC)
jim@jankowskinet.com

United States   
Thank you all for your feedback, its really helpful. I thought 60975 might be the right one, but I wasn't sure about having to upgrade the motors or not.

I'm fortunate to live very close to Ormandy's in Medina, OH and that is where I've bought all my starter sets. John Ormandy recommended I just purchase new locomotives instead of adding sound which I am still considering. I've also already ordered goodies BigGrin from AJCKids and Micro Macro Mundo and have had good luck so far with both.

I did purchase the following set this year which got me all jazzed up for sound...

https://www.marklin.com/...ts/details/article/26928

...so maybe one is enough. Fuel for thought.

As for my layout, attached are a few pics of the layout I've been working on using SCARM. It's influenced by the Tyco H0 layout my father and I setup over 40 years ago, my love of the outdoors, and the public square here in Medina, Ohio. I also work with computers for a living so the CS3+ is something I'm really looking forward to using and integrating into my home network.

In the 2D picture below, phase 1 is to the left. I'll be adding the new C Track Turntable and Roundhouse when they are available later this year to finish off Phase 1. Phase 3 will be sometime later next year. Taking it slow so I can learn as much as I can before diving in.

Thanks again everyone!

Layout2D.jpg
Layout3D.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jim@jankowskinet.com
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 05 April 2019 07:50:51(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi,

The class 24 and 81 already have DC motors and would only need the decoder and speaker. The class 38 and 41 would need the motor kit too. It's worth doing because when you have it done you will have really nice locos, and the satisfaction of having done it yourself.

Cheers....

Mike
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mvd71
#9 Posted : 06 April 2019 00:29:43(UTC)
jim@jankowskinet.com

United States   
Thanks Mike!!!

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 06 April 2019 10:42:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
...The class 38 and 41 would need the motor kit too.

A good resource for determining what motor kit you require in a given loco is Helmut Kern's site at http://www.hfkern.gmxhome.de/

The site only references Marklin locos up until about 2005, but that pretty much covers all the analog locos as locos sold after that time are all digital.

So from that site we see that 29525 (Marklin / Loks / Dampfloks BR 38, P8) has a SFCM motor and 29625 (Marklin / Loks / Dampfloks BR 41) has a DCM motor, both with Delta decoders which work with AC motors only. So you would need one 60941 (DCM) motor kit and one 60943 (SFCM) motor kit to convert those two locos plus two mSD3 decoder kits (assuming you were wanting sound in those locos).

I have found that a 60971 decoder programmer is best for programming mxD3 decoders (mSD3 / mLD3), so if you have one it doesn't matter which mSD3 decoder you get as you can easily reprogram the decoder with whichever locomotive sound you require.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline ktsolias  
#11 Posted : 06 April 2019 11:47:00(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi

Agree with Bigdaddynz.
I do all the programming of the mLD3/mSd3 using the 60970 decoder tester, the 60971 Decoder programmer, and mDT3 software.

With this combination you can do anything that you like, test the results with the decoder out of the loco.

I do first the decoder programming and then I do the installation in the loco

Regards

Costas
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
#12 Posted : 06 April 2019 17:26:18(UTC)
jim@jankowskinet.com

United States   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Hi

Agree with Bigdaddynz.
I do all the programming of the mLD3/mSd3 using the 60970 decoder tester, the 60971 Decoder programmer, and mDT3 software.

With this combination you can do anything that you like, test the results with the decoder out of the loco.

Regards

Costas

Thanks Costas!! BigGrin
#13 Posted : 06 April 2019 17:27:53(UTC)
jim@jankowskinet.com

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
...The class 38 and 41 would need the motor kit too.

A good resource for determining what motor kit you require in a given loco is Helmut Kern's site at http://www.hfkern.gmxhome.de/

The site only references Marklin locos up until about 2005, but that pretty much covers all the analog locos as locos sold after that time are all digital.

So from that site we see that 29525 (Marklin / Loks / Dampfloks BR 38, P8) has a SFCM motor and 29625 (Marklin / Loks / Dampfloks BR 41) has a DCM motor, both with Delta decoders which work with AC motors only. So you would need one 60941 (DCM) motor kit and one 60943 (SFCM) motor kit to convert those two locos plus two mSD3 decoder kits (assuming you were wanting sound in those locos).

I have found that a 60971 decoder programmer is best for programming mxD3 decoders (mSD3 / mLD3), so if you have one it doesn't matter which mSD3 decoder you get as you can easily reprogram the decoder with whichever locomotive sound you require.

Thanks you!! BigGrin
Offline dickinsonj  
#14 Posted : 06 April 2019 19:53:36(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I do all of those same things, except I don't yet have a decoder tester. Something else to add to my list. ThumpUp

The Märklin sound library has sounds specific to many locos and I start with one of their example projects and then adjust the sounds for the loco it will be going into.

I also have had good results from using the calibration run to fine tune the running characteristics to each loco. After the calibration run I upload the CVs from the decoder and add them to my project, so that I can archive it and always go back to where I started.

Märklin published a nice set of six articles on this whole process starting with Märklin Magazine issue 03 from 2016 and they should be available on their website. My upgraded locos are just as nice as an expensive new one and I really enjoy the satisfaction of having made these improvements myself. Cool
Regards,
Jim

#15 Posted : 06 April 2019 20:05:13(UTC)
jim@jankowskinet.com

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I do all of those same things, except I don't yet have a decoder tester. Something else to add to my list. ThumpUp

The Märklin sound library has sounds specific to many locos and I start with one of their example projects and then adjust the sounds for the loco it will be going into.

I also have had good results from using the calibration run to fine tune the running characteristics to each loco. After the calibration run I upload the CVs from the decoder and add them to my project, so that I can archive it and always go back to where I started.

Märklin published a nice set of six articles on this whole process starting with Märklin Magazine issue 03 from 2016 and they should be available on their website. My upgraded locos are just as nice as an expensive new one and I really enjoy the satisfaction of having made these improvements myself. Cool

Thank you!!! BigGrin
#16 Posted : 07 April 2019 20:22:07(UTC)
jim@jankowskinet.com

United States   
After considering all the feedback, I've decided on a hybrid approach to upgrading my steam locomotives with sound...

• Since the BR 38 DB (038 382-8) and BR 81 DB (81 0006) do not support smoke generators, I've decided not to upgrade them
  • Instead I've decided to purchase the #39034 BR 18.5 DB (18 505) which is the sister of the BR 18.5 DB (18 527) locomotive that came with my 26928 - "1928 Rheingold" set
  • I'll be upgrading my (2) BR 24 DB (24 014) locomotives with mSD3 SoundDecoder's (60975) and Smoke Generator Kit's (72270)
  • Lastly, I'll be upgrading my BR 41 DB (41 354) locomotive with a High Efficiency Propulsion Engine (60941), mSD3 SoundDecoder (60975), and Smoke Generator Kit (7226)

Thanks again everyone for your feedback and guidance, I sincerely appreciate it. I'll report back to this post once the upgrades are completed.

Regards,

JJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jim@jankowskinet.com
Offline ktsolias  
#17 Posted : 08 April 2019 11:28:39(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Dear JJ

You can convert the BR 81 with smoke and mSD3 decoder

There is how I converted mine, but with mLD3 (60972) decoder without sound

https://www.marklin-user...BR-81-Digital-Conversion

The conversion with sound is exactly the same and there is possible to put a small speaker into the loco

This loco as digital and TELEX is an excellent switcher

Regards

Costas
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
#18 Posted : 08 April 2019 17:33:59(UTC)
jim@jankowskinet.com

United States   
Dear JJ

You can convert the BR 81 with smoke and mSD3 decoder

There is how I converted mine, but with mLD3 (60972) decoder without sound

https://www.marklin-user...BR-81-Digital-Conversion

The conversion with sound is exactly the same and there is possible to put a small speaker into the loco

This loco as digital and TELEX is an excellent switcher

Regards

Costas

The BR 81 I have is from starter set 29322 - https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/29322

I believe this is locomotive 36321 - https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/36321. The manual for this BR 81 does not indicate that a smoke generator can be added.

I didn't realize you could still add one, I'm still learning something new everyday. Crying I'll definitely keep this in mind as I start my upgrades.

Thanks again!

JJ
Offline ktsolias  
#19 Posted : 09 April 2019 08:10:07(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi

This loco is the last version of BR 81, which is quite different from the older ones.

Has a DC motor and a basic decoder.

The frame is different.

I haven't any experience with those. I have never touch one of those.

Looks from the plans that for the installation of a smoke unit many alterations are needed.

So is better to live as it is.....

Sometimes the effort and the cost are not justified.

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline TEEWolf  
#20 Posted : 09 April 2019 16:46:57(UTC)
TEEWolf

The BR 81 I have is from starter set 29322 - https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/29322

I believe this is locomotive 36321 - https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/36321. The manual for this BR 81 does not indicate that a smoke generator can be added.

I didn't realize you could still add one, I'm still learning something new everyday. Crying I'll definitely keep this in mind as I start my upgrades.

Thanks again!

JJ

Caution JJ. The BR 81 (29322) has a fx decoder, whereas the BR 81 (36321) has a mfx decoder on board. You see it under features on Märklins website. The motors shall be the same.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
#21 Posted : 09 April 2019 17:10:24(UTC)
jim@jankowskinet.com

United States   
Hi

This loco is the last version of BR 81, which is quite different from the older ones.

Has a DC motor and a basic decoder.

The frame is different.

I haven't any experience with those. I have never touch one of those.

Looks from the plans that for the installation of a smoke unit many alterations are needed.

So is better to live as it is.....

Sometimes the effort and the cost are not justified.

Costas

Thank you Costas!!