Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline anthpao  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2019 12:34:30(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
Dear friends,
I watch the forum topics closely since 2010 and now its time I ask some questions about Marklin decoders, older and newer (mld/msd and mld3/msd3).

1) The older ones have a series of 9 solder pads. Does anybody know what are they for?
2) I have connected a 25V/2200uF capacitor with resistor and diode to the pin 16 and pin 20 of an msd decoder and only the functions are bufferd against mini power losses (which seems natural regarding the pins the capacitor is connected). How can I buffer the motor also in order to give the power to the locomotive so it can overpass a dirty point on the tracks?
3) Can the newer power pack from Marklin be connected to older decoders, other than mld3/msd3, and if yes to which pins/solder pads. Can also be programmed by the CVs?
4) Can the newer power pack be connected to MFX+ decoders that already come installed on the newer locomotives?
5) Is there a way to adjust the CVs 57 and 58 (are for adjusting the chuffs of steam locomotives) and CVs 61 and 62 (are for the random sounds distance) of older and newer mfx decoders that do not give you this capability from within Central Station?

Thank you for your time.
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2019 13:40:06(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi

1. Send a photo to show what exactly you mean
2. Connect to U+ (orange) and U- (violet)
3+4. The power pack is only for retrofit decoders and and has to be connected to to the SUSI
5. For mSD and mSd3 decoders you can do that from the CS. Older decoders needs to program the appropriate CV

May be there are more possibilities hacking the power pack but are not yet found

Costas
Offline anthpao  
#3 Posted : 04 April 2019 09:45:38(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
This is an example of Marklin msd sound decoder.
60940.jpg

Does anybody know what the nine solder pads on the right down corner do?

About the capacitor: What I did is to put a capacitor to pins 16 and 20 which are where an orange and violet cables should be. But I found out that only the functions and sounds are buffered and not the motor.
For example: If the locomotive hit a dirty spot on the track is stops moving and, with a 25v / 2200uF capacitor, after one second the sound stops and the lights go out.
What we are trying to prevent with the capacitor is that the loco does not stop on the dirty track and continous until it takes power again.
So are there any other pins where we can put a capacitor to prevent the motor from stopping?

This is only to ktsolias.
Δεν μπόρεσα να καταλάβω για το καινούριο powerpack που έβγαλε η Marklin. Κανονικά είναι για τους mld3/msd3 decoders που πωλούνται χωριστά από την Marklin ή μπορώ να το συνδέσω και σε μηχανές που βγαίνουν από το εργοστάσιο με καινούριους decoders τύπου MFX+.
Offline ktsolias  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2019 14:09:15(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Ηι

I have to answer in English because this is the only and official language of this site.

The contacts on the decoders are not documented either by Märklin or another person.

The new 60974 buffer capacitor is only for the mSD3 decoders, and only the ones with 21pin interface and SUSI socket on the board.

Here is how Märklin exactly describe these decoders.

"This is a circuit board with 2 buffer capacitors with each 1 Farad for connection to the mLD3 und mSD3, item numbers 60972, 60975, 60976, and 60977. The buffer capacitor prevents light flickering and sound dropout from dirty track sections."

Regards

Costas
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2019 18:53:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: anthpao Go to Quoted Post
This is an example of Marklin msd sound decoder.
60940.jpg

Does anybody know what the nine solder pads on the right down corner do?

They will be for factory testing and programming the initial firmware load into the decoder. The PCB will be put on a 'bed of nails' test jig which has spring loaded contacts that will make contact with them. Quite a common method for PCBs that have a microprocessor on them.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan