Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Countinglkp  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2019 01:06:34(UTC)
Countinglkp

United States   
Hello all. While clearing out my 89 year old dads house. I came across a wooden crate shipped while he was in the service. In Germany around 1952. It is full of Märklin trains and track and seems to be in pretty original condition. 4 locomotives. G800, se800rm800 and f800, and easily 40 other boxes of cars. From oil, to coal, to passenger. All in original boxes. And easily 40 boxes of rail and the power supply. I know these were sold to American and British GIs.
While most are in what seems to be pristine condition. ( I don’t think they ever ran after dad shipped them) the tinder’s do have the white “flowering”. I’ve read here that is expected and can be resolved.

So my question. What in the world to I do with this? Is it reasonably valuable and what might be the best way to market this? We have so many trains of several sorts but this just seems like a treasure. How do I identify exactly what version g800.1 or .2 etc? Any hints or suggestions? I am captivated. I already have his Z gauge marklin and am working to sell his other HO and N gauge from other manufacturers. But Märklin is special and this collection is perfectly intact with original boxes and the name of the train seller in Stuttgart.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Laura
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2019 02:28:09(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
certainly sounds like a treasure!

It all depends on how much work you want to put into it if you wish to obtain the full dollar value.

Cataloging and photographing and selling each one on ebay is a lot of work but may yield the highest prices.
Selling them as a lot is easier, but you may get less overall.

The locos are always the most sought after, then the other rolling stock, then track (less) and power supply least.

There are value guides called Kolls - the book itself is expensive. Searching ebay for sold items of the same item can give you a guide to their value.

You may also want to place them in a case as a memory of your father...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2019 03:02:26(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Model trains should be valued for their purpose: to play with and enjoy it like your father did.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Countinglkp  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2019 03:34:11(UTC)
Countinglkp

United States   
I actually agree. Not looking to make a mint. Would love to find someone who would love this collection as a whole. Daddy loved his trains. And collected with purpose. We just don’t have the capacity to do it. Looking for some lover of these beautiful trains to use them. Money isn’t the big motivator. Thus I hate eBay. Would love to find someone who loves the collection. Crate and all. Yes the wooden crate he sent it Freon Germany though military post. For me it’s the history and love of the trains. If I could I would. Still not sure I will sell. Just asking for advice on whether this has value to anyone.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Countinglkp
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2019 04:56:21(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Countinglkp Go to Quoted Post
I actually agree. Not looking to make a mint. Would love to find someone who would love this collection as a whole. Daddy loved his trains. And collected with purpose. We just don’t have the capacity to do it. Looking for some lover of these beautiful trains to use them. Money isn’t the big motivator. Thus I hate eBay. Would love to find someone who loves the collection. Crate and all. Yes the wooden crate he sent it Freon Germany though military post. For me it’s the history and love of the trains. If I could I would. Still not sure I will sell. Just asking for advice on whether this has value to anyone.

Hi Laura,

Well you'll probably get buried in private messages now, it sounds like the stuff dreams are made of for many enthusiasts.

I'd have been among them but sadly, with New Zealand buried deep in the South Pacific 'tis just a little too far away - freight alone would require a second-mortgage!! Blushing

If it's of interest one of our other members here (Paul Deardorff) runs a site 'MarklinStop' and he has already done some research into the sets shipped home by returning soldiers stationed in Germany.

https://marklinstop.com/2015/11/from-germany-with-love-train-sets-shipped-home-during-wwii/

Paul would love to see what you have if for no other reason than to add to his research but I'm sure he'll be more than happy to 'talk turkey' - he's straight-up and fair.

PS - LOVE that you still refer to your Dad as "Daddy" - my two girls are in their late 30's and I'm still 'Daddy' - it's about the highest compliment a man can hear from his baby girl (even when she's BIG!)

Good luck

Stephen
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Countinglkp  
#6 Posted : 28 March 2019 11:11:00(UTC)
Countinglkp

United States   
Stephen, thank you so much for your comments. I’ll certainly try to get in touch with the gentlemen you suggested. Actually, I think some of his research is how I found this site! I do wish I could get this to you in NZ.

And yes. At 53 years old, I still call him daddy. And he is the best man I’ve ever known. Glad your daughters still call you daddy! 😊
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Countinglkp
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#7 Posted : 28 March 2019 13:42:38(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Post some photos for fun!

Normally I'd say part them out, and I still think that will pull the most value.

But if condition and details are as you say, I'd advise keeping it together. And ebay with a good starting price makes the most sense to me. Especially is you are ok leaving a little money on the table for a sake of a good home...
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR