Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline HO Collector  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2019 23:41:42(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Good evening all.

I was working on some of my engines today, cleaning, oiling etc. as the motors were seized due to many years in the box. This lead to a conversation with the Mrs. which at the end she agreed that I will build in the back garden a shed for the layout.

The first question is:
How do I combat the humidity and the rust? Will thick insulation help or do I need constant heat?

The second question:
Is there someone who lived around hertfordshire with a digital (HO) layout? One of the engines that I worked on (3471) refuses to move and I would like to verify wether the reason is a fault ormaybe the engine was turned off digitally. Another model (3602) won't show any lights but runs as never before.

Thank you.
Offline jcrtrains  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2019 00:25:39(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
On point one, start by calling the shed an ‘out’ building as you start into the building planning process. As you get closer to construction, start to drop the ‘out’ word. Now it is referred to as a building versus a shed. This way your wife is not surprised when there is a concrete foundation poured, brick, R20 insulation, double glazed windows etc etc. This approach solves all heating a cooling issues. Marriage counselling is extra.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2019 03:12:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: HO Collector Go to Quoted Post
The second question:
One of the engines that I worked on (3471) refuses to move and I would like to verify wether the reason is a fault ormaybe the engine was turned off digitally. Another model (3602) won't show any lights but runs as never before.

Thank you.

Let me begin with the standard questions: What controller are you using?
Are you testing with a digital controller or with an analog transformer?

The 3471 is the NS TEE DE/RAm. It is a complex model using a Delta chip along with a relay to select power feed from either the motor unit or the pilot coach.
If the motor unit was in reverse mode (at the rear of the train) when the model was taken off power, the relay might be set to accept power from the pilot coach and for that reason, the motor unit will not move on it's own. My recommendation would be to connect the motor unit and pilot coach and test the train again.
My suspicion is that once the pilot coach is connected, the train will operate normally. Once you have reversed the direction, the motor unit will draw power from it's own slider and can move forward on it's own.

The 3602 is an older digital model. It should be one of those early 6080 type decoders where the lights only work in digital operation. If you activate the light function (F0), it should work.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Rwill  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2019 10:49:39(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
If you describe yourself as “just north of London – Hertfordshire” then I will describe myself as “just South of London -Purley, Surrey”. We have a rotting Edwardian house far too big as most of the kids appear to have left so at present, I get the” dining room” for trains. We have had notions of a garden train room, but the North Downs impinge on the garden and it may become too much of a project and not cost effective. We also have notions of moving to a new house, so my “now I’m retired” day usually starts on the computer with this forum, the bank and Rightmove. My wife has noticed that all my “come and have a look at this one” will include one of the following – a good height loft, a double garage attached to the house , a garage with a studio above, a garden room or a bloody great shed or suitable topography and price to be able build one. My wife has different search criteria so we may live here a little longer. You are worried about “climate control” for the trains I tend to worry about the same things for me – a single skinned un insulated building away from the house and a loo and a kettle would not be my idea of fun. I’m not being much help really am I. If you find no one nearer you are welcome to come and run a your errant loks on my layout it is CS2 controlled. We are very close to the station if you are allergic to the M25. If you are looking for a technical Wizz kid, with a beautiful scenic layout then perhaps not – what you get is a study in MDF and a grumpy deaf old sod driving his trains, You are most welcome if it suits!

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2019 11:49:21(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Good evening all.

I was working on some of my engines today, cleaning, oiling etc. as the motors were seized due to many years in the box. This lead to a conversation with the Mrs. which at the end she agreed that I will build in the back garden a shed for the layout.

The first question is:
How do I combat the humidity and the rust? Will thick insulation help or do I need constant heat?

Thank you.

I had a standard wooden garden shed. I went down to *&* and bought some sheets of 1" insulation - Cellotex, I think it was. I fitted this to the walls, the door and the ceiling. I then put some 1/2" OSB on the floor. This stopped all of the drafts. It kept the shed warm in the winter (one person in a shed soon warms it up) and cool in the summer. Installing electricity normally needs a contractor certification. but then.... you can do the job yourself with a kit from a competent electrical store.
David
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 11 March 2019 13:12:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
Good evening all.

The first question is:

Thank you.

I had a standard wooden garden shed. I went down to *&* and bought some sheets of 1" insulation - Cellotex, I think it was. I fitted this to the walls, the door and the ceiling. I then put some 1/2" OSB on the floor. This stopped all of the drafts. It kept the shed warm in the winter (one person in a shed soon warms it up) and cool in the summer. Installing electricity normally needs a contractor certification. but then.... you can do the job yourself with a kit from a competent electrical store.
David

Might need electricity to run the layout. I would advise an electrician to do the job which I expect an insurance company would want in the even of a claim.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline HO Collector  
#7 Posted : 11 March 2019 22:37:18(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
This evening the Mrs and I were discussing where the out building ( LOL ) can be built as I want it to be of a good size. No chance of getting a building permission from the council for a brick unit, in any case the chickens won't like it BigGrin.

Mike C
Thanks for the reply.
I have only analogue system. I had both units connected but had no movement. With the TEE (3471) I bet that the issue is the digital input rather than a fault. The second model (3602) used to run on my analogue "layout" with the lights on but didn't this time, the Lufthansa Express (I have never ran it before) also had its lights off. All of this made me think that this can be sorted on a digital layout.

Rwill
Thanks very much for the offer. I have got nothing the M25, love it, the only road that I have time to watch the scenery. I am busy during the coming 3 weekends but will be in touch once am free. Thank you!

David Pennington
Thank you, this is encouraging. Did you use a standard garden shed? What is 'OSB'? What about mice? Didn't they find their way in? We live inside woods have got it all. Foxes, deer, door mice, all sorts of birds...

David Dewar
I think that I will do the work and let the electrician to make the final connection to the board. Will have to make sure that the cables are thick enough.

Thank you all.
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2019 02:59:14(UTC)
mike c

Canada   

I have only analogue system. I had both units connected but had no movement. With the TEE (3471) I bet that the issue is the digital input rather than a fault. The second model (3602) used to run on my analogue "layout" with the lights on but didn't this time, the Lufthansa Express (I have never ran it before) also had its lights off. All of this made me think that this can be sorted on a digital layout.

You are currently using analog power. On the 3471, did you check to ensure that all four of the DIP switches are set to the 0 (off) position.
If they are in off (analog) position, the train should run. Once again, if you had been running in the reverse direction (pilot coach forward) when the train was put away, you may need to connect the pilot coach, as the relay for slider pickup might still be set to collect power from the pilot coach, in which case the motor unit will not move on it's own.

As far as the 3602, it may be that the bulb is loose or burnt out.

Regards

Mike C

Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 12 March 2019 07:41:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I build a garage 6m x 6m with planning approval (you need a planning approval), this was an extension to an existing garage (9m x 6m) this garage however wasn't build to any building code nor did it have any planning approval, because it was so long ago, the council isn't taking any action.
I've insulated the walls with woolen bats and covered them with plaster boards and also placed insulation sheets onto the ceiling.
the new garage has a steeper pitched roof, insulation sheets under the roof, and again wool bats and plaster boards on the side walls. the garage has also a wooden middle floor for storage at a height of 2.4m., the construction of the new garage were steel trusses and purlins, re-inforced concrete floor and corrugated colour bond iron roof sheets
all depends on the size you may also need a constructional engineer to design the building with appropriate floor plans.
this has to be presented to the local council and you have to wait for their approval before you can begin any structural or earth work.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#10 Posted : 12 March 2019 10:57:09(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I build a garage 6m x 6m with planning approval (you need a planning approval), this was an extension to an existing garage (9m x 6m) this garage however wasn't build to any building code nor did it have any planning approval, because it was so long ago, the council isn't taking any action.
I've insulated the walls with woolen bats and covered them with plaster boards and also placed insulation sheets onto the ceiling.
the new garage has a steeper pitched roof, insulation sheets under the roof, and again wool bats and plaster boards on the side walls. the garage has also a wooden middle floor for storage at a height of 2.4m., the construction of the new garage were steel trusses and purlins, re-inforced concrete floor and corrugated colour bond iron roof sheets
all depends on the size you may also need a constructional engineer to design the building with appropriate floor plans.
this has to be presented to the local council and you have to wait for their approval before you can begin any structural or earth work.

John

When I lived down in Gidea Park, Romford, I spoke to Havering Council planning and found that I could build a structure in my garden without planning provided that it was less than 1/4 of the garden area. In addition, as I was building in wood, I had to be 1m from the boundary. If it was fireproof material, I could build to the boundary. Things might have changed but it is worth checking as there is nothing worse than building/buying a garden structure and finding it too small. What I meant about the electrics is that you can buy a kit for fitting a distribution box in the "shed". Speak to the owner (which is why is say don't go to a superstore) and they will advise on the armoured cable required. It is easy to fit but then you shroud pay an electrician to certify it. You don't have to have the electrician do the work.

With the shed I was talking about, it was in my garden in a village 3 miles outside Ipswich (250 souls!) and I never had any trouble with mice, etc.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline Rwill  
#11 Posted : 12 March 2019 14:36:13(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
This guide is perhaps a little bit more up to date but with the comment that 1) It applies in England 2)The authors are trying to flog sheds!

https://www.sheds.co.uk/planning-permission/
Offline HO Collector  
#12 Posted : 12 March 2019 22:45:52(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Mike C
Thanks, I have never thought about the decoder, will check. You might be right about the bulb, will check, but when the engine was put into storage all was in order. Thanks very much.

John
You are a lucky man. If I follow your footsteps this 6x6 hole in the ground will be my last resting place, the Mrs. will make sure of that. She still wants the kitchen to be extended (although I do all the cooking).

Dave & Rwill
Thanks for the info about planning process and the link, We have a large'ish back garden so a 3mX4m shed should be ok.

The thing that surprised me the most is that my wife is not opposing to the idea.

Thank you all.

Ben
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 12 March 2019 23:01:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

The thing that surprised me the most is that my wife is not opposing to the idea.

That is because it means she can keep an eye on you, and you will be in there instead of down the pub ... Laugh Laugh Laugh

Don't forget some of those links you have been given are planning processes for other countries ... You should probably check out the 'permitted building' regulations that run out in May here in the UK.

Offline Rwill  
#14 Posted : 12 March 2019 23:58:04(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
The subject mystifies me:

As I said earlier we live in a big old family home with only the occasional "passing by for a few months" of the kids living here. We "lost" the garage when we sold a plot of land in our large back garden but replaced it with a very nice shed. My wife quickly appropriated the large concrete slab left over and we put up a substantial greenhouse and fair do's she grows a few nice things. So the shed keeps all those things like lawnmowers, garden tools, other tools, bicycles, bits of timber from projects, decorating stuff and boxes of bits of mobile phone that have died. Every now and then we have a clear out and tidy up but there is certainly no room for a railway. I was shocked the other day talking to a guy who reckons he kept the car in the garage! We have a nicely boarded out loft which is too low to use as a room but seems to be full of; well I don't really know what. So as I have said I am currently allocated the dining room for trains and computers and books and filing cabinets and there is still dining room furniture in there. And the kids either live in their expensive tiny flats in London or work abroad. So they pop by regularly to put into the parental storage(our house) the cricket stuff, the skis & etc, the odd holdall full of clothes and of course another box of bits of mobile phones. We seem to be a clumsy family so we have a good collection of NHS walking sticks, crutches and things I don't know what they are.

So now and then we sit and talk about downsizing to that little bungalow at the seaside or in the country but when we start to look we end up looking at huge properties with barns, garages, garden rooms. lofts, cellars and maybe a couple of bedrooms as well and fairly quickly the moment passes and we stick with where we are.
Offline HO Collector  
#15 Posted : 13 March 2019 20:42:59(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post

So now and then we sit and talk about downsizing to that little bungalow at the seaside or in the country but when we start to look we end up looking at huge properties with barns, garages, garden rooms. lofts, cellars and maybe a couple of bedrooms as well and fairly quickly the moment passes and we stick with where we are.

We love the area around Stamford so looked for some houses. Saw one with 4 bedrooms, double garage with a room above it, massive garden and probably more. Will cost the same as our current house + the kitchen extension +the "out building".

After a short while I looked at my wife and said "I don't want to move, I like it here, it is home". The search for the right log cabin have started (but I still want the other bedroomBigGrin )