Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2019 17:40:30(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Hi,

Sorry to ask more questions but I've been bent over this CS3 all day and feel I'm getting nowhere.

I've spent hours trying to get it to recognise a point, but nothing happens.

What is "Old installation decoder" and "New installation decoder"? And are the 74461 decoders MM or DCC?

Also, my S88s seem to have been found at some point, but doesn't appear they can actually be used for anything?

Also, and I find this odd, there are no normal pieces of track you can insert in a track plan... Bit difficult building a track plan purely out of points and signals.

Thanks

P.S. What is a contact number on an S88 module? The manual really does not explain it, just says to look underneath the module which has no info of interest.
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2019 18:45:21(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
Also, and I find this odd, there are no normal pieces of track you can insert in a track plan... Bit difficult building a track plan purely out of points and signals.

Many questions for different problems, but problems I guess, everybody has, starting with a new CS 3.

Answering the questions step by step, as far as I can. Indeed there are no normal pieces of tracks, but "unnormal" ones are there. Märklin named them "track lying items". Please see your PDF-manual for a CS 3 page 22 rigth column. You set these items and then you have to link them together. The more of these items you set the nicer your picture will look like, because the link can be set more precise. Also the new raster system since CS 3 software update 1.4.0. helps. The track lying items disappear leaving the construction mode. Normally you do not see them in your layout picture.

Also for rotating your solenoid items (left column), the more you length you give between the item and this little finger inside the more precise yoou can rotate the article into the correct position. (Hopefully you understand my explenation - otherwise ask again please).

First touch the item appears as a light blue circle. A second touch makes it dark blue and then you can move this little finger with your finger or mouse away from the item. The longer the distance to the item, the more precisely you rotate it.
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2019 19:32:11(UTC)
TEEWolf

What is "Old installation decoder" and "New installation decoder"?

"old" is for the old decoders, no longer available in stores. "New" for the actual in stores available decoders (e.g. 74461). But it refers only to the installation decoders for a C-track.

Quote:
And are the 74461 decoders MM or DCC?

See in the manual page 8 functions

https://static.maerklin....2d025de89d1526381942.pdf

the 74461 is programable in fx (MM) or DCC. It is up to your choice. See in the manual as you set up your choice.

Be aware, from 2019 onwards it is a new decoder on the market, the 74462. This one is now mfx, MM, DCC capable.

Quote:
Also, my S88s seem to have been found at some point, but doesn't appear they can actually be used for anything?

Sorry this question I do not understand, but I do not use a S88 yet. Nevertheless a S88 AC (60881) is only a feedback decoder. It cannot "be used for anything".
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 10 March 2019 20:30:59(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The Marklin book .. 03092 gives instructions for the CS3 and might be easier than the computer instructions although both will give you what you want.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2019 02:39:34(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
What is "Old installation decoder" and "New installation decoder"? And are the 74461 decoders MM or DCC?

Marklin use the terms

Installation decoder :
- for the single address devices that fit under the turnout trackbed or signals with imbeded decoders (i.e. single masthead MAY have two addresses for 3/4 aspects)
- included two generation of turnout decoders and signal decoders
MultDecoder :
- for the box decoders that manage 4 or 8 outputs

Old : translates to MM only and usually this correlates with dip switches using a trinary (non-binary) coding
New : translates to MM or DCC (configurable either/or) and dip switches with a binary format

The main purpose of these distinctions is so that the
- Controller knows how many addresses to reserve
- Controller knows which image to present (e.g. DIP switch setting)
- knows which form/format to use for the configuration variants

Old Installation decoders may be : 74460 - 73xxx signals (ask if you need more info)
New Installation decoders may be : 74461,74465 (actually 2 addresses for 3Way turnout) , 74xxx signals
Old multidecoders may be : k83(6083,60830), k84(6084,60840)
New multidecoders may be : m83(60831,60832), m84(60841,60842)

And before you ask
Accessories may only currently use the MM or DCC formats to WORK/OPERATE.
If you have a device that purports to use/support mFX , then this is ONLY for configuration purposes, and even then physical configuration steps may be involved.
Peter
Offline morsing  
#6 Posted : 11 March 2019 11:41:25(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Thanks all,

It actually works now :-)

It's a 74661, setting it to "New", "DCC", address 2 and the dip switches 2 & 10 on, and it worked.

-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline morsing  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2019 12:12:37(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
So, progress, after some faffing about, the S88 DC decoder is now feeding back onto my simple track items on the CS3. Only thing is, the built-in switch decoder draws enough current to make it report the block as occupied :-(

It doesn't appear you can set a threshold for the S88 inputs, so maybe I just need separate power for the decoders, if that is even possible.

Or maybe switches just needs to be outside blocks completely.
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+