Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Sir Timbo  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2019 05:20:00(UTC)
Sir Timbo

Australia   
Hi All,
probably a silly question but cant get the lights to work on the 2681 carriage set....I dont have the loco.
Only just 5 days new to digital and have just set up the 29721 starter set with an extension track set. Using the mobile station controller that came with the set. I've had the Kaiser Willhelm carriage set of 6 for some time now and thought I'd run it last night...runs fine, but how do I get the lights to come on?
I've figured out how to assign an address to a locomotive, the instruction book, says the lighting is digitally controlled to address 10 and 11...How do you do this with carriages and the mobile station?
i'm using a marklin 3618 loco that has a 6080 decoder in it to pull the the 2681 carriage set.

Cheers, Tim.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2019 00:14:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Sir Timbo Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,
probably a silly question but cant get the lights to work on the 2681 carriage set....I dont have the loco.
Only just 5 days new to digital and have just set up the 29721 starter set with an extension track set. Using the mobile station controller that came with the set. I've had the Kaiser Willhelm carriage set of 6 for some time now and thought I'd run it last night...runs fine, but how do I get the lights to come on?
I've figured out how to assign an address to a locomotive, the instruction book, says the lighting is digitally controlled to address 10 and 11...How do you do this with carriages and the mobile station?
i'm using a marklin 3618 loco that has a 6080 decoder in it to pull the the 2681 carriage set.

Cheers, Tim.

The coaches do not run on a loco address. They use a special accessory address.

If you had a 6021 controller it is easy to work them, but I don't know if the ms2 will have a means of developing the appropriate signal. You could look through the data base for 2681 and see if it is there. If it is select that, even though you do not have the loco, and I think you will find it is set up to turn the carriage lights on as well.

Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 09 March 2019 04:32:44(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, have you checked the decoders in the carriages? The have DIP switches so adress can be altered and no longer be 10 and 11.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 09 March 2019 13:45:15(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, back home from work, i can be of more help.
Here is a picture of the decoder under the roof of the carriages with pickup shoe. Add them in the CS2 using the option of MM decoder with 4 dips and check that the adress is correct. Having all the bulbs burned at th same time is not very likely, but it worths a check also.
Regards

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Sir Timbo  
#5 Posted : 09 March 2019 14:09:47(UTC)
Sir Timbo

Australia   
You could look through the data base for 2681 and see if it is there. If it is select that, even though you do not have the loco, and I think you will find it is set up to turn the carriage lights on as well.

Thanks, yes this worked. But the lights and the positioning of the circuit board is pretty flimsy so it needs a fair bit of felicate tweeking and jiggling to get them on...plus the connections between the carriages means some come on intermittently. Oh well, another job in working out where the shorts are occurring. Thank you again. Tim.
Offline Sir Timbo  
#6 Posted : 09 March 2019 14:14:48(UTC)
Sir Timbo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hello, back home from work, i can be of more help.
Here is a picture of the decoder under the roof of the carriages with pickup shoe. Add them in the CS2 using the option of MM decoder with 4 dips and check that the adress is correct. Having all the bulbs burned at th same time is not very likely, but it worths a check also.
Regards

UserPostedImage

Thanks Francisco, I don't have a cs2, just the mobile station 2. Follwed Allan's suggestion and got lights going but having intermittent problems between the carriages. Plus I found that I had to turn one of the circuit boards arond and it then gave lights. Bit more work now to get lighting reliable and consistent.
Regards, Tim.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 09 March 2019 18:58:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Thanks Francisco, I don't have a cs2, just the mobile station 2. Follwed Allan's suggestion and got lights going but having intermittent problems between the carriages. Plus I found that I had to turn one of the circuit boards arond and it then gave lights. Bit more work now to get lighting reliable and consistent.
Regards, Tim.

From memory the carriages to need to be connected in a certain order for the correct things to happen.

Also I would recommend that instead of using the conductive drawbars supplied with the set you get the conducting couplings (72030?) and fit those instead. This way you will be able to assemble and dismantle the train a lot easier.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 09 March 2019 19:15:45(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, nice to hear that this are beggining to work.
In a MS2 you can also add manually your cars with different adress, pointless now that they are working, could be useful in the future when you have more locs to manage.
Indeed having the 6 cars working properly they have to be connected in a correct manner:
Basically 2 groups of 3 isolated between them. In the center a carriage with pickup shoe and the others 2 connected to it. That way you will be able to indenently control the light of every car.
CC couplers are indeed more easily to work than the drawbars, but in my experience, conducting is more reliable with them than with the CC couplers.
If you experience flickering make sure also that your wheels are clean and also the springs that connect to them. Bad grounding also can produce problems like intermitent lightning.
Regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline Sir Timbo  
#9 Posted : 12 March 2019 07:03:48(UTC)
Sir Timbo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hi, nice to hear that this are beggining to work.
In a MS2 you can also add manually your cars with different adress, pointless now that they are working, could be useful in the future when you have more locs to manage.
Indeed having the 6 cars working properly they have to be connected in a correct manner:
Basically 2 groups of 3 isolated between them. In the center a carriage with pickup shoe and the others 2 connected to it. That way you will be able to indenently control the light of every car.
CC couplers are indeed more easily to work than the drawbars, but in my experience, conducting is more reliable with them than with the CC couplers.
If you experience flickering make sure also that your wheels are clean and also the springs that connect to them. Bad grounding also can produce problems like intermitent lightning.
Regards

Hi Francisco,
Thank you.
I have connected the cars in the correct order as you have suggested. I will clean the wheels and check the springs very soon.

Initially , getting the lights to work, was about entering from the MS2 data base the locomtive 2681 (even thogh I do not have this loco). It brought up the train, and one of the function buttons then controlled the lights of these carriages. How do you manually enter the cars? Also, should each set of 3 carriages be isolated from each other? (so no conductive draw bar between each set of 3....just a normal coupler?)
And how then is it posible to control the lights of the 6 cars individually?.... I thought you would only be able to control each set of 3.
Offline franciscohg  
#10 Posted : 12 March 2019 11:30:25(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello.
As told before, every centre car has a decoder on it, so, that way you can control lightning on that car, and via the drawbards to the adyacent cars.
in order to work them properly, yes, the 2 groups of 3 must be isolated from each other, by using a normal close coupler.
I will scan the manual in hte afternoon and post it
Please note that not all manuals are the same. The one with proper instructions for running the 6 cars consist is just in the box of the last 2 cars, remember that all the set was delivered in a 2 years period.
Regards
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 12 March 2019 17:41:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Initially , getting the lights to work, was about entering from the MS2 data base the locomtive 2681 (even thogh I do not have this loco). It brought up the train, and one of the function buttons then controlled the lights of these carriages. How do you manually enter the cars?

You can't, the database only knows about the complete train, and handles the coaches as a special case.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 12 March 2019 18:51:09(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
oh, but i just did....just for test it since it was done previously only with the CS2.
one of my carriages was set at adress 79.
So, in the ms2 went to add loco manually, mm2 deco with dip and set adress to 79.
f2 lights the carriage itself, f1 and f3 the adyacent ones
regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg