Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ShannonN  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2019 06:59:49(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
"The Rivals" is a look at the waning days of the Boston & Maine Railroad and its competition with the east-west former Boston & Albany route vs it Fitchburg mainline and also the battle between it's north-south Connecticut River Route vs the (now former) Central Vermont Railway. Nearly all of the footage differs from that previously used in the B&M Fitchburg and Conn River videos that were released earlier.

This original VHS tape version of "The Rivals" is being presented here as a preview to the now in production remake version which will appear sometime on DVD

From the comments:

"GE once was the largest employer in Berkshire county. GE has long left Pittsfield and New England area for overseas. Even the once robust paper mills have closed. There is now little industry left in the area so there is a economic depression. The region now solely relies on tourism, retail and the service industry. GE may have moved its headquarters to Boston from CT, but it has little manufacturing left in Massachusetts and New England. CSX now runs through Pittsfield but they no longer stop there to drop off cars. Norfolk Southern and Pan Am now control the nothern route and seem to be putting pressure on CSX but they are still hamstrung from the low overhead through Hoosiac tunnel and the bridges after it."

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2019 05:41:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I'm not really old enough to remember the heyday, but I remember a lot of rail lines in upstate NY, Vermont and Quebec that are no longer there.
Part of this was due to the loss of industry, part of it surely due to the trucking lobby and part of it due to economic progress.

I was very young, but even then, the railroads abandoning passenger traffic made me very sad. Amtrak in America and VIA in Canada did not much more than keep bare bone services alive, rather than building a healthy network. Passenger trains having to give priority to freight trains only made airplanes more attractive to potential customers.

Playing trains was more fun when you were imagining all of the passengers on the train and what they were doing. It was not the same to imagine what kind of goods were in the box cars, hoppers and containers...

In addition to B&M, B&A and CV, there was also the Grand Trunk (Portland ME to Island Pond VT) (today the St Lawrence & Atlantic, a Genesee & Wyoming RR).

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c