Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2019 10:02:39(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
This has been getting a lot of exposure on the BBC during the last few days:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ne...otland-business-47163833

I grumpyly didnt like the title and largely ignored it until last night yet again someone I knew sent me the link so I read and watched and changed my mind!
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline asp1880  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2019 10:32:39(UTC)
asp1880

Denmark   
Did you notice this poster on the Alloa station newsstand: “SCOOP: ALLOA LAYOUT READY AT LAST”. Priceless.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by asp1880
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2019 12:16:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
This has been getting a lot of exposure on the BBC during the last few days:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/ne...otland-business-47163833

I grumpyly didnt like the title and largely ignored it until last night yet again someone I knew sent me the link so I read and watched and changed my mind!

I hadn't seen that one. looks good though.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline rmsailor  
#4 Posted : 25 February 2019 15:25:28(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   

Hi,

I aattended Model Rail Scotland on Friday past. While there I had an interesting conversation with one of the members of Aberdeen MRC. This is the club that won last year's Great Model Railway Challenge telivision series with its railway in the sky. His comments on the show and and its aftereffects were of interest given that it came in for a lot of criticism as being a kind of Masterchef for model railways . He remarked that doing the show he realised it was not about him or the club but the audience and its aftereffects have been very positive with club membership up and sales in model shops increasing. This perhaps is one of the reasons Hornby have a strong programme of new products this year and other firms are also thriving.

Also at Glasgow was the layout " Calcutta Sidings". This features in the current Railway Modeller but what the Modeller does not show is that three quarters of the layout was the "hidden Sidings". I have put that in parenthesis since they were far from hidden. Indeed they were probably the most interesting part of the layout being composed of a double marshalling yard with multiple roads. all it needed was some scenery. Very much a case of the tail wagging the dog. While having hidden sidings feeding the scenic part of the layout is perhaps inevitable for exhibition layouts I wonder if it does perhaps give a false impression of the way a layout should be built for personel use. I raised this on Model Railway Express a few years ago but it was greeted with incomprehension. Sadly for many clubs exhibitions have become an end in themselves rather than a means to an end, raising money, new members and enjoying model trains.

No Marklin to see but there was a large G-scale layout.

Bob M.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by rmsailor