Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2019 20:56:38(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hi everyone, in USA I know of running session were players use so called 'car cards', I believe this is their name.
Practically every goods wagon has associated to it a card describing the type of load and the destination. Trains are made by aggregating various wagons and then dispatching it for a session of play.

Do any of you use this system ? Is there a software to do this ? Suggestions on how to put it into practice ?
I tried searching in this forum history but nothing comes up.

Thank you
Marco
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2019 21:36:01(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Marco,

Martin from forum did make a video regarding waybill/cards etc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgEWIMfxw8

Else a good source is US based forums.

Best Regards
Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Carim  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2019 21:39:29(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I think operating this way is quite rare on European model railways. There is a user on YouTube, "robert van ooyen", with a large Marklin layout who uses this sort of system (see his vlog 45).

Carim
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2019 23:40:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone, in USA I know of running session were players use so called 'car cards', I believe this is their name.
Practically every goods wagon has associated to it a card describing the type of load and the destination. Trains are made by aggregating various wagons and then dispatching it for a session of play.

Do any of you use this system ? Is there a software to do this ? Suggestions on how to put it into practice ?
I tried searching in this forum history but nothing comes up.

Thank you
Marco

There is a facility in the JMRI software for doing this. Haven't used it myself, but it is being actively developed, according to messages I see on the JMRI email group. Check out the Operations Pro sectionof this web page.

Offline Tex  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2019 22:22:23(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Marco

This week I attended a train club meeting in Houston Texas where a model railroader described the operation of his HO layout in which cars are added and dropped at five freight yards along the way . He uses as many as 20 operators to run his railroad and it can take a full hour to run a train from one end of the layout to the other. Cards are kept that show the contents and destinations of each car in the train. This system would not work for us for two reasons , first few of us have the space for such a large layout and secondly , the Maerklin cars would not be suited for switching because of their light weight and awkward couplers.

I operate my layout without switching and use a metal dispatch board to show the locations of each train . Each train has a magnetic marker with the code number of the locomotive . Trains are run one at a time and after each movement the markers are relocated.