Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ranjit  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2019 15:54:05(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi All...

Now that my Märklin collection is with me in Chennai, I wish to display some my locomotives and rolling stock in a display case . The trouble in Chennai is the dust everywhere! How should I deal with the dust? Is using Dust Off Duster a reliable product? Is there anything else out there to clean the inside of the display case? My display case has six (6) levels and it is roughly 3 feet X 2 feet. The opening is by the side and the front has a polycarbonatr sheet.

Cheers,
.Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2019 16:23:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I don't know what is available where you are. I would ask my wife to do the dusting ...then run as fast as I can LOL
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Ranjit  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2019 16:37:29(UTC)
Ranjit

Good one, David!

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2019 16:52:36(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Ranjit Go to Quoted Post
Hi All...

Now that my Märklin collection is with me in Chennai, I wish to display some my locomotives and rolling stock in a display case . The trouble in Chennai is the dust everywhere! How should I deal with the dust? Is using Dust Off Duster a reliable product? Is there anything else out there to clean the inside of the display case? My display case has six (6) levels and it is roughly 3 feet X 2 feet. The opening is by the side and the front has a polycarbonatr sheet.

Cheers,
.Ranjit

Can you use plastic sheet by cover the layout?

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Ranjit  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2019 17:20:04(UTC)
Ranjit

it is not the dust on the layout that I am concerned about now, Anders. It is the 3 feet x 2 feet display case that is hanging on the wall for Marklin locomotives and rolling stock.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2019 17:26:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Ranjit Go to Quoted Post
it is not the dust on the layout that I am concerned about now, Anders. It is the 3 feet x 2 feet display case that is hanging on the wall for Marklin locomotives and rolling stock.

Cheers,
Ranjit

Best way to keep the dust out is to pressurise the cabinet by a small fan. You will an air filter where the fan is sucking from, that you will need to periodically clean, but the pressure then generated inside the cabinet should be enough to stop the dust making its way in. Then you'll just have to clean the front window of the cabinet every day BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2019 22:00:15(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Generally, on complex equipment the canned air dusters are not what you want, as it can drive dust into the inners of the mechanical parts over time. OK to use very occasionally. I'd get the duster compressed air, and a vacuum cleaner running. Gently blast the display items and vacuum up the dust immediately, and be sure to get the shelves as well. Then close the front of the shelf off with a large acrylic sheet (plexiglass etc) to keep dust from getting into the display area.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline DaleSchultz  
#8 Posted : 30 January 2019 00:41:11(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
damp cloth. Wipe dust out.
Place sheet over open cabinet while that is drying (letting moisture out but no dust back in)
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 30 January 2019 02:32:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
since I've extended the garage and sealed off the whole area I don't have any dust at all, I've more or less got rid of any draft or air leak and I'm pleased with the outcome.
I think the idea is getting to the cause of the situation and dealing with it otherwise you going to keep on dusting for the rest of your life.

John

Edited by user 31 January 2019 11:04:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline lewistrain  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2019 03:41:31(UTC)
lewistrain

Australia   
If you have the trains in a dedicated room you can set up an over pressure sysyem to keep air from flowing into the room. We use this sysyem on our elect containers in the desert.
Basically its just a powerful fan that pushes air into the room but filters it before it gets in.
It is important to shut down the fan when cleaning the filter to prevent dust coming off it and going into the room.
Its really easy to set up and quite cheap to run.
Once i have a place and some demountable buildings for the trains to live in i will absolutely have this system
LOLOLOL they are just toys, grow up and play with them.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by lewistrain
Offline xxup  
#11 Posted : 31 January 2019 10:50:17(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I just close the windows and air-condition the room.. Confused
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline ShannonN  
#12 Posted : 02 February 2019 01:15:41(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Is the cabinet for locos etc that are for display only? or will you be opening the case multiple times per day/week?

Like many others have said, you need to address the bigger issue of dust in your garage/ room wherever the cabinet is. Once you get that contained by whatever means then you can concentrate on the cabinet.

If you will be using the items daily then it depends on the opening of the perspex covering the cabinet. Does it lift up, does it slide across? if it lifts up like an awning does, line the edges with some kind of sealer strip, like felt, rubber strip etc. then add weight to the bottom of the window. when you shut it the seals should press against the frame and hopefully make a good contact and dust seal.

For a sliding door place plastic slides with felt into grooves.

Best scenario is to protect and clean room 1st of major dust and holes .
2nd totally vacuum and clean cabinet and protect from ingress of dust.

Once done would it help to use small (fishtank) pump with filter placed outside of cabinet to filter air or once cabinet is closed use pump in reverse to create a vacuum and the suction would seal the cabinet to the seals?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline TEEWolf  
#13 Posted : 02 February 2019 02:16:16(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I just close the windows and air-condition the room.. Confused

An air-conditioning is not enough to keep the dust off a room. Only a room with overpressure helps. Before entering such a cleanroom you have to cover your body, shoes and hair with special cloths, before you are allowed to enter a cleanroom, for example where wavers for chips were produced. You can do it for your MRR too.

Just the other day, I saw a report about the new One World Trade Center in New York City. It was reported this building is the first and only skyscraper in NYC with an overpressured staircase to keep smoke, fire, etc in a case of emergency outside of this staircase. A new safety feature.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf