Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Trains3397  
#1 Posted : 18 January 2019 14:40:15(UTC)
Trains3397

United States   
I have a set of Marlin engines (3048, 3033), cars and track that I inherited from my parents. Everything runs very well. I just purchased a 3046 and noticed that the coupler (the part that connects the engine to the coal tender) is a screw, that requires a screw driver to separate the engine from tender. The other engines - 3048, 3033 - have no such screw, they have a "pin" that allows one to slightly lift the engine from the track to separate or join the engine and coal tender. With the 3046, you need to lift the engine and coal tender as a whole completely off the track, get a screw driver, etc. The seller said this is original, and everything is pretty much mint, and the screw looks very well machined, is of a stepped profile and has springs that surround it. Still it seems unusual and quite inconvenient. My biggest concerns is that I wanted this to be completely original, not something someone has "screwed"with (pun intended). Has anyone seen this sort of thing for a coupler between engine and tender? Does Marklin make a compatible "pin" type for this engine that will thread into the threaded hole?

Thank!
Nick
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 18 January 2019 17:31:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Trains3397 Go to Quoted Post
I have a set of Marlin engines (3048, 3033), cars and track that I inherited from my parents. Everything runs very well. I just purchased a 3046 and noticed that the coupler (the part that connects the engine to the coal tender) is a screw, that requires a screw driver to separate the engine from tender. The other engines - 3048, 3033 - have no such screw, they have a "pin" that allows one to slightly lift the engine from the track to separate or join the engine and coal tender. With the 3046, you need to lift the engine and coal tender as a whole completely off the track, get a screw driver, etc. The seller said this is original, and everything is pretty much mint, and the screw looks very well machined, is of a stepped profile and has springs that surround it. Still it seems unusual and quite inconvenient. My biggest concerns is that I wanted this to be completely original, not something someone has "screwed"with (pun intended). Has anyone seen this sort of thing for a coupler between engine and tender? Does Marklin make a compatible "pin" type for this engine that will thread into the threaded hole?

Thank!
Nick

Are there wires between the loco and tender? There were a number of engines where the reversing mechanism is in the tender, and these are coupled to the loco in the manner you describe.

Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 18 January 2019 18:28:39(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like your locomotive is made of spare-part-kit which was offered during the 1970s after the locomotive disappeared from the regular assortment. These kits came (at least partly) with the screw instead of the pin. Originally the screw was only used at locomotives which have a TELEX-coupling, others (also the 3046) came with the pin. I don't know why the kits came with the screw, maybe an error.

Sorry, I don't know the spare-part-number for the pin. That number appears in no list.

Regards

Markus
Offline Trains3397  
#4 Posted : 18 January 2019 19:01:46(UTC)
Trains3397

United States   
Thanks for your responses kiwiAlan and Markus.

There aren't any wires that go between the engine and coal tender, tender is passive.

About the spare-part-kit, what exactly is that? It's name would imply that you assemble it yourself, is that the case? What degree of assembly would have been required: soldering, engine assembly, internal wiring? Are these considered as being of less value compared to one that is not a spare-part-kit, or are they legitimate Marklin products of comparable quality to ones from the factory already assembled? It has the original box, so it looks to me that it came this way, but who knows really. The seller said it was made in 1968 - here's the listing. It feels very heavy and solid and performs perfectly, but in some ways I feel duped.

Nick
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2019 19:09:06(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Nick,

Your locomotive is absolutely original. I just checked that also early ones that have that screw. The locomotive also does not come from a kit.
The value of assembled kits is equal to factory-built machines. Usually the kits could be assembled with a screw-driver and a solder-iron.

Regards

Markus

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2019 21:56:36(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Nick,

Your locomotive is absolutely original. I just checked that also early ones that have that screw. The locomotive also does not come from a kit.
The value of assembled kits is equal to factory-built machines. Usually the kits could be assembled with a screw-driver and a solder-iron.

Regards

Markus

Picking up this thread a little late, as usual.Wink
I concur with Markus (also as usual..)
The "screw" pin is original and should normally also comprise a bronze helicoïdal spring that further improves electrical conductivity between the lok and the tender chassis.
This turn the lok into an **unflappable** performer even on dirty tracks: dual pick up skis and all wheels contributing to "ground" connection.
Don't know of a better one in Märklin's history.
Precious one.
Enjoy
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline ktsolias  
#7 Posted : 18 January 2019 23:09:14(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi

I have to agree with Jacques

The 3046 is the same like the 3045 and 3047 (BR 44) from the frame point of view.
The body have differences.

The coupler between loco and frame is as Jacques describe it.

Here is the plan of the 3046

3046_explo.pdf (193kb) downloaded 33 time(s).

I have all three of them and I already have convert to digital the 3045.

This is a photo of the 3045

IMG_19078_resize.JPG

So I have done major strip down and I have been impressed of the engineering of these locos.

Regards

Costas
Offline Trains3397  
#8 Posted : 19 January 2019 03:51:30(UTC)
Trains3397

United States   
Thank you everyone for responding to my posting. I am relieved that my purchase of this loco was not a wasted effort. But what's more, I am impressed with your knowledge of these things. This is clearly the place to learn about Marlin trains, which I love so much. All my friends and family think I am nuts for caring so much about this engine, but you have given me reason to be proud, especially now being more knowledgeable myself. Thank you all so much. I look forward to being a contributing member of this site. (Here is a video and make believe story my son made of just a small sampling of our Marklin collection setup around the Christmas tree this past Holiday - one day it will all be his.)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Trains3397
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 19 January 2019 04:20:30(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Thanks for your responses kiwiAlan and Markus.

About the spare-part-kit, what exactly is that? It's name would imply that you assemble it yourself, is that the case? What degree of assembly would have been required: soldering, engine assembly, internal wiring? Are these considered as being of less value compared to one that is not a spare-part-kit, or are they legitimate Marklin products of comparable quality to ones from the factory already assembled?

Nick

Hi Nick, too add to this, there are usually two 'reasonably' certain ways to tell if an item was originally a kit. See images below... two of my V200 Loks - 3021 & 3921, other models are typical of these two points

The Couplings - kits use a split-pin (black or nickel) to assemble the coupling, factory use a blackened shaft flattened at one or both ends

Motor Wiring - 'usually' the wiring connections between the motor, reverse etc are done with a small coloured joiner, similar to the usual plugs/sockets.

By this means, no soldering is normally required, just a screwdriver.

Sometimes there are other slight differences also, depending on the model, but these are the two main ones I watch for and it's worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Cookee

P1050489.JPG

P1050490.JPG

Edited by user 19 January 2019 22:34:08(UTC)  | Reason: added images

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline ktsolias  
#10 Posted : 19 January 2019 11:19:10(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Thank you everyone for responding to my posting. I am relieved that my purchase of this loco was not a wasted effort. But what's more, I am impressed with your knowledge of these things. This is clearly the place to learn about Marlin trains, which I love so much. All my friends and family think I am nuts for caring so much about this engine, but you have given me reason to be proud, especially now being more knowledgeable myself. Thank you all so much. I look forward to being a contributing member of this site. (Here is a video and make believe story my son made of just a small sampling of our Marklin collection setup around the Christmas tree this past Holiday - one day it will all be his.)

Yes you must be proud!!!

The 3046 has a price in Europe around 200€ which is about the double of similar locos. As for the 3045 is a desirable item and the price is between 800 - 1000 € even more depending of the condition of the model!!!

Don't hesitate to ask... Somebody here have always the answer

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline Trains3397  
#11 Posted : 19 January 2019 21:20:37(UTC)
Trains3397

United States   
Thanks Cookee, Costas. For the record, I paid quite a bit more than 200€ for this 3046, but that's that. I am happy with it. I should really open it up and inspect it, and started to, but stopped due to limited time. But I will get to it.

What makes the 3045 so valuable?

Nick
Offline ktsolias  
#12 Posted : 19 January 2019 22:38:06(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Thanks Cookee, Costas. For the record, I paid quite a bit more than 200€ for this 3046, but that's that. I am happy with it. I should really open it up and inspect it, and started to, but stopped due to limited time. But I will get to it.

Nick

Hi Nick

I have to say that the Litra N 3045 was a mistake.

The Original Litra N was a BR 50 German not a BR 44.

In the time of the original 3045 (1965 I think) Marklin did't had a BR 50 frame so they used the frame of the BR 44 3047 and the same frame they used in the 150x 3046.

The 3045 was on the catalog only for 2 years in a period that Marklin had the items on the catalog for decades.....
So the 3045 has been a rare model and a desired collectors item with prices around 1000 Euro.

The arrangement of the lights on 3045.1 is Front: One in the middle, one on the lower right side, nothing on the Left lower side. In the rear one on the right side only.
3045.2 was the same in the front but the rear light was on the left side.

There are other topics in this forum about Litra N 3045

Costas
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 20 January 2019 00:04:11(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Nick

A common indicator of 'value' is the relative scarcity of the item. The 3045 for example, (according to Koll's) was first produced only in 1967-1968, (and in Hamo) but then also as a kit 3945, between 1974-1976.

We hear stories that the kits are sometimes released to use up parts stock when they don't want to release it as a fully assembled model. It's a lot quicker for M. to assmble the kit, than to assemble the whole Loco.

I also know that one of the indicators of value for the 3045 is the presence or absence of the band around the funnel, and due to the fact that the model has a Smoke Generator and any spillage of the smoke-oil damages the paper band causing it to come away. To find one with the original band still intact is the trick.

Hope this helps
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image