Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MrBadwrench  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2019 01:43:30(UTC)
MrBadwrench

United States   
Hello, I have a small railroad running through my office, I have C track with the starter set IR control. The total length of track is about 12 meters, and I run 2 locomotives. Everything runs with no problems right now, but I assume that if I expand further I will need to add a 2nd power supply to another point in the track. What equipment will I need to do this?

I am very new and electricity is also not my friend so please explain simply if possible!

Best regards,
Emmett

UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2019 07:43:41(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: MrBadwrench Go to Quoted Post
[...] but I assume that if I expand further I will need to add a 2nd power supply to another point in the track. What equipment will I need to do this?
You need more feeder tracks. So you basically need more wires.
Take power from the feeder track with the IR receiver, add a distribution bus, and feeder tracks. Often recommendation is feed every two meters.

Märklin 74042 can be used as an out-of-the-box solution. A DIY solution with soldered wires is far better IMHO.

A booster will be needed if you want to run more trains at the same time.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2019 13:35:42(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
There is no off-the-shelf solution to connect a booster to the starter set controller. But a first step is to add more feeder wires. For further growth it would be better to use another controller.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2019 14:03:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kgsjoqvist Go to Quoted Post
There is no off-the-shelf solution to connect a booster to the starter set controller. But a first step is to add more feeder wires. For further growth it would be better to use another controller.

Agreed, I would suggest getting a 29000 set that has just track and an ms2 with its ancillary bits that it requires. This will give you the track for your layout expansion.

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2019 15:09:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Agreed, I would suggest getting a 29000 set that has just track and an ms2 with its ancillary bits that it requires.
If trains slow down because the voltage drop in the tracks is too big then replacing the IR controller with an MS2 will not improve the poor driving.

Originally Posted by: kgsjoqvist Go to Quoted Post
There is no off-the-shelf solution to connect a booster to the starter set controller.
The MS2 is also a starter set controller without a booster connection.

Judging from the description in the original post I assume a booster is not needed. Märklin boosters 6604 and 66045 can both be used with the IR controller or the MS2. Do those boosters count as off-the-shelf and out-of-the-box solutions?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline MrBadwrench  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2019 03:02:03(UTC)
MrBadwrench

United States   
Thanks for the replies, I will purchase the 29000 set.