Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ShannonN  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2019 10:50:24(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   

Highlights of this archive video include a journey from Bath too O Evercreecch Junction; thee last train from Bala to ffestiniog; the Lancashire and Yorkshire Special and the Severn & Wye in the Forest of Dean. Welsh narrow gauge highlights are also featured in addition to the locomotives of London Transport and Swindon (Nnos 3440, 2516 and 4003).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline EMD_GP7  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2019 21:36:42(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Thanks for the interesting video.
It reminded me of a cycling trip in 1963 with a railway minded school friend around mid-Wales stopping at Youth Hostels.
We started from Birmingham Snow Hill station ( ex- GWR) and travelled to Welshpool possibly on the Cambrian Coast Express.
At Welshpool we found that a work train was in the yard of the Welshpool and Llanfair light railway and was going to Llanfair shortly.
We managed to get a lift in the Guards van which was hauled by a small Diesel loco so loaded our bikes on board and set off
through the town. The line through the town was removed later and a new terminus built outside the town.
We then biked to Dinas Mawddwy where that night we were treated to a spectacular Meteor shower !
After travelling via Youth hostels at Borth, Corris, Dolgellau and looking at railways on the route we came to Ffestiniog where we walked from Blaneau Ffestiniog to Tany -Y-Bwlch which was the then end of the Ffestiniog railway.
On the way from Blaneau we found a slate wagon which we rode with the help of a tree branch to "punt" us along together with another at the front as a brake.
The video of the last train on the Bala branch reminded me of the ride from Ffestiniog to Bala. At the time a new road was being built from Trawsfyndd to Bala and the minor road we were cycling on ended up in a section where the railway route was used for the road and was a sea of mud through which we had to push our bikes.
We got to Bala eventually and then back to Welshpool where we caught the train back to Birmingham.
My school friend is now my Brother-in-law as I married his Sister !
Regards, Colin.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline ShannonN  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2019 00:45:05(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: EMD_GP7 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the interesting video.
It reminded me of a cycling trip in 1963 with a railway minded school friend around mid-Wales stopping at Youth Hostels.

My school friend is now my Brother-in-law as I married his Sister !
Regards, Colin.

Awesome story! Glad the video bought back memories of your youth. When I travelled in UK in 1988 for a year or so I did the Ffestiniog railway trip totally immersive