Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2018 02:18:09(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Yes of course there's no "ET 800".....

Or is there?

2011_12040183.jpg

(Source - https://trixstadt.de/stammtischberichte/bildberichte-2011/historische-modellbahnen-berlin-04-12-2011/)

I have had for many years two 'orphan' items, the Chassis & Motor and Trailer Body for an ST 800. The chances of finding the missing other parts to reassemble it are so remote as to put it out of mind.

So I'm thinking to myself, what else can I do? - yes I could sell them of course (capitalist), or I could do something creative (artist). Cool

The idea of this fantasy "ET 800" really appeals to me.

Looking at what I already have, I can see three main steps.

1: Create a replica of the existing rounded end and somehow bond it to the other end of the body. Or.... obtain another identical body, cut both where required and bond.

2: Mill the frame where the Jacob's truck is attached, and create a new suitable end with mounting for the truck. Or again, obtain another chassis and do as above.

3: Modify the existing Jacob's truck, probably as simple as removing the tower housing and creating or buying a new mounting pin so that it is secured virtually the same as the driving truck.

And finally, repainting as required, I don't consider this a part of the custom steps because it's a given that repainting would be required anyway, in whatever colour scheme I preferred - either Blue or Green but not likely Red, because one already exists

I know that to many people, the very idea of the modifications required would be considered sacrilegious. There would be no going back and it could be argued it was a potential ST 800 lost forever. Crying

On the other hand, these are sometimes parted-out anyway so I'm not so swayed by that argument.

So this is an appeal to those who have already done something similar. How would you go about doing what I propose?

Custom casting of the required parts?, if so, how, and from what materials, would it stand up to handling etc?

Or alternatively, would it be easier and more practical to buy original parts containing what I need, modify (cut) and attach as required?

The items I have already are in good condition. I've already overhauled the chassis and motor, and it runs very well (like a dream actually - sooo smoothly) and can be driven already as a stand-alone unit (see video below) so I figure I'm already well over halfway there.

So, I'd be really interested in ideas on how I should go about this.

I need to make it clear I do not have the skills myself to tackle this, not within a bulls-roar, but I know people who do, can, and would. ThumpUp

What I need to figure out based on the best suggestions for doing it, is who I decide to talk to and which method/s are ultimately going to be most cost-effective.

ie do I buy a sacrificial body or do I pay someone to fabricate what's needed, taking them time and end up paying much the same?

I have no expectation of having an item of any value at the end of it. But, in saying that, if the fantasy "ET 800" above made by Gert were to be offered for sale, as a custom creation, there would be NO shortage of willing buyers and probably for a respectable price. It's really just a single-unit DT 800 after all and does not look at all unrealistic.

Of course, should anyone here 'happen' to have any of the parts I would need to fabricate, ideally a body or chassis that is already damaged, do please PM me !!! Woot

ST800-2.jpgST800-3.jpg

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2018 16:37:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Yes of course there's no "ET 800".....

Or is there?

2011_12040183.jpg
I have had for many years two 'orphan' items, the Chassis & Motor and Trailer Body for an ST 800. The chances of finding the missing other parts to reassemble it are so remote as to put it out of mind.

So I'm thinking to myself, what else can I do? - yes I could sell them of course (capitalist), or I could do something creative (artist). Cool

The idea of this fantasy "ET 800" really appeals to me.

Looking at what I already have, I can see three main steps.

1: Create a replica of the existing rounded end and somehow bond it to the other end of the body. Or.... obtain another identical body, cut both where required and bond.

I know that to many people, the very idea of the modifications required would be considered sacrilegious. There would be no going back and it could be argued it was a potential ST 800 lost forever. Crying

On the other hand, these are sometimes parted-out anyway so I'm not so swayed by that argument.

So this is an appeal to those who have already done something similar. How would you go about doing what I propose?

Custom casting of the required parts?, if so, how, and from what materials, would it stand up to handling etc?

Arrrgh, a 'cut and shut' - no that would be sacrilegious ... Scared Scared Scared Scared Scared

Personally I would look at 3D printing a duplicate end to fit the body. Remove the 'bellows' from the bogie (can that be done, or is it an integral part of the bogie) and organise a suitable lighting board for that end. It may be necessary to make the 3D printed bit slightly longer than desirable to accommodate the lighting, but I don't think it would look out of place, especially if it was done as a windowless 'motor compartment'. That way you can do a reversable modification of you do ever find other parts.