Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 29 October 2018 11:23:18(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I recently had my first opportunity to hear a Zimo Sound Decoder. Having only heard Märklin Sound Decoders I had to admit that the Zimo sounded better with a realistic echo to the whistle. I also liked that the additional sounds like the "shovelling coal" were not as loud and more "in scale" in comparison to the steam sound.

What is your favorite sound decoder? I personally am only interested in steam sounds but would appreciate input for any sound decoders.

Also, for any current users of Zimo sound decoders, do you have or recommend any specific model for Märklin use?

Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2018 12:10:24(UTC)
H0

There are different aspects. On one hand we have the capabilities of the decoder, on the other hand we have the sound project that may not take full advantage of the decoder capabilities.

I have an ÖBB Taurus with Zimo sound and it is the best Taurus sound I heard from an H0 model so far.

I have Ludmillas with ESU V4 sound and IMHO these have the best diesel sounds I ever heard. I'm afraid that some sound projects for ESU V4 decoders are actually V3 projects that were just converted and do not take advantage of the new capabilities.

With respect to steamers I do not know whether I like ESU or Zimo better. But both are better than Märklin. I haven't heard a steamer with the famous Henning sound yet.

Long story short: The best sound decoder will leave a bad impression if it comes with a bad sound project or a bad speaker.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline skeeterbuck  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2018 17:33:07(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

With respect to steamers I do not know whether I like ESU or Zimo better. But both are better than Märklin. I haven't heard a steamer with the famous Henning sound yet.

Long story short: The best sound decoder will leave a bad impression if it comes with a bad sound project or a bad speaker.

Tom, do you think that part of the Märklin sound is hampered by the speaker they use? When I have added Märklin decoders w/sound to my older locos I always used the speakers that were supplied with the decoder.

Chuck
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2018 14:19:31(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Have anyone done a speaker test ?
eg replacing a märklin speaker with a Zimo ore a different brand ? is there any sound quality improvement ?
it's a lot of speaker options out there:
eg: https://eu.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Audio-Devices/Speakers-Transducers/_/N-awp4u?P=1z0x281
could a "bass" speaker work ?
https://thesaberarmory.com/product-category/components/speakers/
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2018 15:03:35(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
When I have added Märklin decoders w/sound to my older locos I always used the speakers that were supplied with the decoder.
Those speakers have a closed capsule and I think they are OK.
Using a larger speaker and a larger capsule/tube as they do for Big Boys and F7s may still make a difference. But not all models have room for that.

Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Have anyone done a speaker test?
I haven't tried it myself, but forum posts indicate that the sound for Märklin's BR 64 gets much better with just a rubber ring installed, thus creating the effect of a closed capsule with much better bass sounds.

I think that Roco locos with modern sugar-cube speakers sound quite impressive, considering the small size of the speakers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline skeeterbuck  
#6 Posted : 06 December 2018 15:33:42(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I think that Roco locos with modern sugar-cube speakers sound quite impressive, considering the small size of the speakers.

I used several of the ESU 50321 cube speakers with good results. I like that the enclosure comes as a kit and you can configure it to suit your needs. ThumpUp