Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ross  
#51 Posted : 12 November 2018 02:42:11(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Mmagda,

This wire to the "T" terminal is a ground reference point only and is only required on one s88 unit usually the first s88 unit and all other units in the chain don't require this connection.

s88_gnd.png

The above information is copied from my article below

s88 Master

s88_text_3rd_rail.png

The above text is extracted from the 0303 Marklin digital book page 90 and is a method I use to monitor my turntable/transfer table bridges as well as using a home made track location via the collector shoe. see below

s88 contact switch via the 3rd /middle rail

Please read my article below which will improve loco power requirements for locos with few wheels, the worst case only 4 wheels.

Diode Trick

Ross
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ross
Offline Mmagda  
#52 Posted : 12 November 2018 06:29:17(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Wow! I never would've thought of that!

Looks like I have plenty of work to do tonight.

I'll let you know how that went.

Thank you very much!
Offline PeFu  
#53 Posted : 12 November 2018 06:59:53(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
One advise: Don’t go ahead with the diode trick now. First, make the contacts work with the S88 and the CS1. I have the impression that you have an error in the basic wiring. It would probably not help to replace the CS1 with a CS2 or CS3.

The "_|_" port on the S88 must be on the same ground circuit as the black cable from the CS1. There is no need to insulate the center rail now. That’s only needed if you add further boosters/transformers.

The S88 inputs (1, 2, 3 etc.) have to be connected to insulated outer rails, as it look like you have.

Once you have identified working S88 contacts in the CS1, you can go ahead with automation, shuttle trains etc.

Finally, you could add the diode trick.

Cool
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Mmagda  
#54 Posted : 12 November 2018 07:19:31(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
I’ll do that when I get back home.

Really curious how that will work
Offline H0  
#55 Posted : 12 November 2018 08:07:17(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Mmagda Go to Quoted Post
But that would mean to connect the GND from the contact track with the GND from the rail. That would make no sense because it will not trigger anything.
Connect it as you should and try again.
And maybe you suddenly see checkmarks or X on the s88 screen.

Electricity flows in closed circuits - and a common ground could be the missing link that closes the circuits.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline sjlauritsen  
#56 Posted : 12 November 2018 10:13:34(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: JoeB Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to have a track seperate from my main layout that will run down the center of my city. I want to have the loco go to one end of the run and automatically reverse direction, travel the other end, stop and reverse direction and continue this operation back and forth. I have the CS3 and was wondering what would be the best way to accomplish this. Thanks

Hey Joe

Looks like no one actually answered your original question.

I wrote this article, explaining to how you build a shuttle train with the CS3:
http://railway.zone/post...arklin-central-station-3

Hope it helps you!
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Online David Dewar  
#57 Posted : 12 November 2018 11:30:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I am lost here. Why are you insulating a rail which is not part of the contact track. All you need is 24994 connected to the S88. The ground on the S88 I suppose should be connected but I don't use it on my layout with the CS2.

All you need is your 24188s with the 24994 at the end (plus a 24188 or two) added on after the 24994 to stop the loco going off the track)

No rails should be insulated ...why are you doing that.

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Mmagda  
#58 Posted : 12 November 2018 11:41:14(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
I am using the 24994
Wiring 1.jpg

Hello,

I have already tried it but it didn’t work...Blushing

Offline Mmagda  
#59 Posted : 12 November 2018 12:44:10(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Hello,

Starting from Ross’s idea to take the signal from the center rail, I came up with this.

8A52A00A-7029-4679-8E1E-EFD29DF09F9D.jpeg

Did someone used this before? Did it work?
Offline Purellum  
#60 Posted : 12 November 2018 13:05:28(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Did someone used this before? Did it work?

I think you should get your s88 to work with your CS1 before you go any further RollEyes

Forget about tracks and trains for a while, just connect your CS1 to the s88, and use small pieces of wire,

shorting them to each other, and test until you get a confirmation from the CS1 that i can read what's going on in the s88.

If you can't make that work, cutting tracks and running trains is just complicating things for you. Blink

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Online David Dewar  
#61 Posted : 12 November 2018 13:06:35(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
All I can say is you are making things far to complicated. All I use is the 24994 with one wire to the S88 then put loco on on track and tell it which S88 port it is connected to. That should be all you need and no rails should be insulated. Why would you want to cut the track. The leaflet that comes with the 24994 shows how to do it with that track on page three.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#62 Posted : 12 November 2018 13:50:27(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I am lost here. Why are you insulating a rail which is not part of the contact track. All you need is 24994 connected to the S88. The ground on the S88 I suppose should be connected but I don't use it on my layout with the CS2.

Unsure if you answered my post, but in case you did:

I think you missed the point: I am not using any 24994 contact tracks.

I simply use the left (or right) rail to detect trains. The power of the 3 rail system!

It works because the axles bridges the gap between the two rails and thus the feedback module sees, not just the loco, but any wagon on the track. This is a great way of doing feedback, it is very stable and does not rely on a slider to hit anything. Also, the station track will be occupied as long as the train is there. This gives me a nice occupancy detection as well. Win/Win.

I never use contact tracks or reed contacts. Isolating rails is the only way I do it. So, no use for the 24994 contact track, simply cut some standard C track, it allows you to do feedback where ever YOU like, and not where a special piece of track will fit in your layout. I find that to be much more flexible.

You need to connect the ground (T), otherwise the feedback module will not work.
Søren from Denmark
Offline sjlauritsen  
#63 Posted : 12 November 2018 13:53:17(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
All I can say is you are making things far to complicated. All I use is the 24994 with one wire to the S88 then put loco on on track and tell it which S88 port it is connected to. That should be all you need and no rails should be insulated. Why would you want to cut the track. The leaflet that comes with the 24994 shows how to do it with that track on page three.

It depends on your personal opinion. I do not want special contact tracks, I want permanent feedback and I want the system to be able to detect wagons. Using the contact track will not do that.

Getting feedback by isolating one rail, is one of the most commonly used, so I am not making things complicated. This is just standard (and basic) stuff.
Søren from Denmark
Online David Dewar  
#64 Posted : 12 November 2018 15:18:58(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post

It depends on your personal opinion. I do not want special contact tracks, I want permanent feedback and I want the system to be able to detect wagons. Using the contact track will not do that.

Getting feedback by isolating one rail, is one of the most commonly used, so I am not making things complicated. This is just standard (and basic) stuff.

I am talking to Mmagda who is using 24994. Quite frankly this thread is just out of control with two people using different methods to run a shuttle or something. I have not discussed the 24995 which Mmagda is not using as is clear from his posts.
Mmagda is using a 24994 which is wired properly and runs a shuttle route but for some reason he is isolating trackes which the 24994 does not need.
Must be time to close this thread and each indivudual who needs help to open their own thread.
Offline sjlauritsen  
#65 Posted : 12 November 2018 16:29:47(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Must be time to close this thread and each indivudual who needs help to open their own thread.

I completely agree. This is what unhandled thread hijacking does.

Perhaps the moderators can split the thread into two separate threads.
Søren from Denmark
Offline TEEWolf  
#66 Posted : 12 November 2018 17:43:03(UTC)
TEEWolf

I would try to sell the CS1 and pick up a CS2 which is excellent...

Didn't want to throw hundreds of euros for a CS2.

For a layout of 4m x 2m I figured the CS1 can handle a few routes and shuttle trains.

Guess I was wrong picking the CS1 on E Bay. 100 euros down the drain...

Well, last week I saw a used CS 2 for 117 € (incl. shipping costs) on eBay. I was astonished about this low price, because even a used, not longer as a controller used CS 2 has in my opinion a higher value, because you always can use it as a booster. A new booster with power supply costs in Märklins shop 285 €. So a used CS 2 for 117 € is always minimum a very good and cheap booster.

But I have to confess I also saw a CS 2 for 400 € at eBay. For me too expensive. It is always worthwhile surfing through the internet comparing prices.

When did you buy your CS 1?
Offline Mmagda  
#67 Posted : 12 November 2018 19:24:47(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

A few weeks ago.

I think I'm going to listen to your advice and go for a CS3 or an ESU Commander.

I'm already in that vicious circle when one item needs another item in order to work properly.

I just finished a simple test: I connected the "O" wire to the _!_ port and moved the "B" wire trough all the sixteen ports of the s88. Nothing happened.

I then took another "O" wire and moved it trough all the ports. Again, nothing happened.

No square on my CS1 lit up.

I don't know if my CS1 with software type 2.0.3 should light up any of those sqares.

If it should, then the CS1 doesn't read the s88 imputs.

If it souldn't light up, then there is no way that I can tell if the CS1 receives/reads any signal from the s88.
Offline Ross  
#68 Posted : 12 November 2018 20:25:44(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hello Mmagda,

Until you get the CS? being able to read s88 contacts it is useless to implement techniques to use different methods of detection.
My suggestions will be useful once you have the basics sorted out.

I would also suggest you try and find someone living close to you that might be able to help in a direct way.

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

A few weeks ago.

I think I'm going to listen to your advice and go for a CS3 or an ESU Commander.

I'm already in that vicious circle when one item needs another item in order to work properly.

I just finished a simple test: I connected the "O" wire to the _!_ port and moved the "B" wire trough all the sixteen ports of the s88. Nothing happened.

I then took another "O" wire and moved it trough all the ports. Again, nothing happened.

No square on my CS1 lit up.

I don't know if my CS1 with software type 2.0.3 should light up any of those sqares.

If it should, then the CS1 doesn't read the s88 imputs.

If it souldn't light up, then there is no way that I can tell if the CS1 receives/reads any signal from the s88.

Ross
Offline TEEWolf  
#69 Posted : 12 November 2018 20:52:14(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

AIUI the CS2 60213 has more problems with the lack of galvanic insulation than the CS 60212.
And AIUI there are no problem with a 60212 with respect to S88 when no boosters are in use. And there shouldn't be any problems AFAIK when using the ECoSboost boosters from ESU. ESU made the 60212 for Märklin. And AFAIK ESU know what they are doing.
Things got really mad when Märklin came up with the 60213 and the 60173 booster (which has such a bad design that you can swap it for a 60174 without extra costs).
And now they make the CS3 without galvanic insulation again. Did they learn their lesson?

Indeed on a first sight, you get the idea they have not learned their lesson. But a CS 3 60226 has no CAN-bus input port. This makes it impossible using a 60226 as a slave and cannot be taken for building a CAN-bus. As long as it is used as a master, a galvanic isolation is not necessary.

In the opposite to a CS 1 (and CS 2) which has a CAN-bus input port, Märklin enforces the users of a 60226 attaching further devices only with an inside galvanic seperation. But many users of a CS 3 have no need for a second CS 3 (then this 2nd one must be in all cases a CS 3 plus 60216) and get with a 60226 a cheaper CS 3 possibility. Also Märklin will offer starter-sets only with a CS 3 inside for calculating a lower package price in the future.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Mmagda  
#70 Posted : 12 November 2018 21:40:26(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Hello,

I think I figured the problem.

This part, during operation, gets abnormally hot, even if there is nothing connected to it. Especially in the highlighted area.

Module.jpeg

Does anyone know the German term so I can search for it?

Thank you!
Offline TEEWolf  
#71 Posted : 12 November 2018 21:44:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hello,

I think I figured the problem.

This part, during operation, gets abnormally hot, even if there is nothing connected to it. Especially in the highlighted area.

Module.jpeg

Does anyone know the German term so I can search for it?

Thank you!

It looks like the update for a CS 1

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/60212

https://static.maerklin....9142ef3f311434541998.pdf
Offline amartinezv  
#72 Posted : 14 November 2018 16:48:44(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello

A video showing a loco in push-pull, pendelzug, shuttle operation

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

At the end of the video you can see one of the detection track, selfmade, the two rail cuts and the connection.

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline Mmagda  
#73 Posted : 14 November 2018 17:14:46(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Thank you!

First I gotta take care of my s88 bus which is broken.

After that I can start building the detection tracks.

Regards :)
Offline Mmagda  
#74 Posted : 21 November 2018 18:55:35(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Hello!

The problem is solved, there was nothing wrong with my wiring.

The s88 bus was broken (hence the reason it was getting hot).

I tried finding a new one, but I couldn't find it therefore I bought another CS1- ESU Reloaded this time Blushing .

Thank you all for your support and, once again, I apologize for hijacking the thread. If a moderator is kind enough to make it a different thread, it would be great.

Regards
Offline Minok  
#75 Posted : 21 November 2018 20:07:43(UTC)
Minok

United States   
<deleted>
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Online David Dewar  
#76 Posted : 21 November 2018 23:28:02(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Why buy a new Cs1 which is a very old controller and not a new S88 which appears to be what you need.
Offline Mmagda  
#77 Posted : 22 November 2018 00:52:47(UTC)
Mmagda

Germany   
Because I couln't find a new s88 bus for the CS1.

Module.jpeg