Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline davo_vespa  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2018 02:32:15(UTC)
davo_vespa

Australia   
Hi,

I've got a Roco Ludmilla circa 2005 (69913) which is as dead as a doornail on my Märklin analogue system (6647 transformers). Märklin loks (analogue & digital) work fine.

I know for some Märklin digital I need to set the switches to off but have no experience with Roco. Am I missing something obvious here or is it just buggered?

Thanks for your help,

David
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2018 03:39:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
David, it could depend on which decoder is installed in the Roco loco. whether or not one has to program the decoder I'm not sure. ESU decoders automatically recognizes the system you're running., for the decoder to work it should have a multi protocol system., if you have more information about the decoder it would help, did you buy it new or used ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline davo_vespa  
#3 Posted : 14 November 2018 03:55:09(UTC)
davo_vespa

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
David, it could depend on which decoder is installed in the Roco loco. whether or not one has to program the decoder I'm not sure. ESU decoders automatically recognizes the system you're running., for the decoder to work it should have a multi protocol system., if you have more information about the decoder it would help, did you buy it new or used ?

John

Thanks John,

Picked it up second hand. The decoder would appear to be a Roco Motorola 10738....does that help?

https://www.roco.cc/en/p...0-004002-1/products.html

Sorry, way out of my depth when it comes to these things....I'm just a simple analogue man!!

Happy Days, David
Offline MaerklinLife  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2018 05:19:56(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Analogue is probably turned off in the decoder. Off to a friend (or dealer) with a DCC layout and have it turned on again. Also try and reset the decoder to the factory settings.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2018 08:12:01(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: davo_vespa Go to Quoted Post
The decoder would appear to be a Roco Motorola 10738....does that help?
Not really. Roco used this ref. number for several different decoders, AFAIK including Lenz and ESU.
Are you sure the loco still has the factory-installed decoder?
A photo of the decoder might help.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2018 00:53:42(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi,

I've got a Roco Ludmilla circa 2005 (69913) which is as dead as a doornail on my Märklin analogue system (6647 transformers). Märklin loks (analogue & digital) work fine.

I know for some Märklin digital I need to set the switches to off but have no experience with Roco. Am I missing something obvious here or is it just buggered?

Thanks for your help,

David

Try a look here

https://www.roco.cc/en/s...digitalmodule/index.html

There is a manual for a lokdecoder AC 10738 listed.
https://www.roco.cc/uplo...nts/pdf/10738_V_2007.pdf
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 15 November 2018 07:58:36(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Several different versions of the 10738 have been sold over time, each version came with an incomplete decoder-specific manual. Linking to one version of the 10738 manual that may not even correspond to the decoder in the Ludmilla is of limited use.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 15 November 2018 23:49:57(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Several different versions of the 10738 have been sold over time, each version came with an incomplete decoder-specific manual. Linking to one version of the 10738 manual that may not even correspond to the decoder in the Ludmilla is of limited use.

Did not know that Roco is doing such a shoddy quality. Laugh

But I prefer Märklin anyway. Love

This is the reason why I post at marklin-users.net - a Märklin and not a Roco community.Cool
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2018 01:56:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

This is the reason why I post at marklin-users.net - a Märklin and not a Roco community.Cool

What do you mean ? shoddy quality ?

Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 16 November 2018 07:07:57(UTC)
H0

A crippled version of Roco 10738 was used for several Märklin locos like BR 120.0 or Sybic a few years ago. Basically Roco 10738 without DCC.

Some Märklin locos came with three different decoders over time (FX with DIP switches, programmable FX, mfx) - and the manual available for download only covers the latest decoder.
Märklin is the market leader and with respect to shoddy quality they beat Roco anytime...

What is shoddy about Roco in this case?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 17 November 2018 01:18:19(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

What do you mean ? shoddy quality ?

Quote:
@H0 was writing in post #10
"Several different versions of the 10738 have been sold over time, each version came with an incomplete decoder-specific manual."

How would you name this insufficient and/or bad work of documentation in English?
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 17 November 2018 10:46:25(UTC)
H0

How would you name this insufficient and/or bad work of documentation in English?
Märklinesque? LOL

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline davo_vespa  
#13 Posted : 18 November 2018 02:31:23(UTC)
davo_vespa

Australia   
Hi All

Thanks for your input.

I was hoping an AC Roco would be a simple "plug & play" product but it would appear to be somewhat more complex....

As such, I have returned the lok and will stick with Märklin in the future.

Happy Days, David
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by davo_vespa
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 18 November 2018 10:50:21(UTC)
H0

I was hoping an AC Roco would be a simple "plug & play" product but it would appear to be somewhat more complex....
Out of the box with the factory settings Roco AC locos work on analogue layouts.

When an old second-hand item does not work then this could be due to a defective decoder or the result of changed settings in the decoder or maybe even a replaced decoder.
Same goes for Märklin. I've had Märklin locos where the decoder was defective - analogue operation was still possible, but digital did not work.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#15 Posted : 18 November 2018 14:00:55(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
David, it is easy to plug and play, its like buying a car but you don't have the key to start the car. digital decoders have certain settings for DC, DCC, Analog and Motorola systems and most of them recognize the system you're operating under., as mentioned before if it is a new decoder. next time you buy a loco make sure the settings are for analogue locos.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 19 November 2018 22:45:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I've had Märklin locos where the decoder was defective - analogue operation was still possible, but digital did not work.

I have seen this happen with a Delta decoder that had the solder jumpers for address selection. It worked fine on analogue, but not on digital. The problem was the solder jumper had a dry joint. Redoing the jumper restored digital operation.