Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline orionstars  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2018 20:16:32(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
Hi All,
I've been thinking of joining up to the Marklin Club (not looking to ignite a pro vs. no debate) and have received a sample issue of both the magazine and Insider. I'm wondering if the past articles are available in English for download or just in German? If I subscribe would I receive access to a "member-side" where they would be available?

Thanks for the help,
Pete
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2018 22:10:01(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: orionstars Go to Quoted Post
Hi All,
I've been thinking of joining up to the Marklin Club (not looking to ignite a pro vs. no debate) and have received a sample issue of both the magazine and Insider. I'm wondering if the past articles are available in English for download or just in German? If I subscribe would I receive access to a "member-side" where they would be available?

Thanks for the help,
Pete

These articles are available in English in the actual print issue of Märklin Magazine, but not as a PDF file for downloading at Märklins homepage. Perhaps here in the communitiy is somebody who is scanning and publishing the article in English.

To me it is very confusing, because once I wrote an e-mail to Märklin asking where I can find the published version of MM articles in English as a PDF file. They answered because of copyright reason they are not able to publish these articles as PDF files in English too. Very confusing and for myself not acceptable.

If you are an Insider memember you get the Märklin Magazine as a part of your memembership for free. So you get these articles in English and you are right they are very helpful. Even so helpful that I can recommend you to download the PDF file with passed articles in German. Even the pictures and graphics you will find there are so helpful to get downloaded, even you do not understand the German text.

For translating German - English here a software which I use for myself (but from French and Polish to GermanBigGrin) quite often.

https://www.deepl.com/translator

P.S.:
If you are not an Insider yet and want one to be one ask for the membership# of an Insider memember. Tell it Märklin, then they give you a nice special wagon from Märklin extra.Love

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2018 20:41:49(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Well, it is that weird German copyright law, though US copyright situations often have similar bizarre rights granted. It may be that the translations from German to English were done by someone and the contract only granted the rights to PRINT the translations but no including the online/electronic publication. That would be a possible reason. Here in the US there are such strange effects in publishing old TV series - they can publish them on DVD, but cannot offer them on a streaming service because some copyright holder (maybe an actor, some composer of music, etc) didn't grant streaming rights, just physical media rights. (Episodes of Magnum PI from the 1980's fall into that group for example) - you can get them all on DVDs via the Netflix DVD service, but some are not available on Netflix streaming.

With the current Article 13 revisions of the GDPR law getting amended to magnify/transfer liability for copyright infringement that is potentially affecting YouTube and other media sites that allow user uploads, (to be voted on in the EU parliament in Jan 2019, then to be implemented (if passed) by the various countries) it would not surprise me if there is a greater sensitivity to avoid liability from copyright and thus they only publish what they have explicit written agreements in place to cover.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline orionstars  
#4 Posted : 08 November 2018 00:00:52(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

P.S.:
If you are not an Insider yet and want one to be one ask for the membership# of an Insider memember. Tell it Märklin, then they give you a nice special wagon from Märklin extra.Love

Maybe since I'm US based but I just emailed and it seems there is only a $10 discount available for the referring member. No mention of a car Crying
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2018 01:24:15(UTC)
TEEWolf

P.S.:

Maybe since I'm US based but I just emailed and it seems there is only a $10 discount available for the referring member. No mention of a car Crying

Very strange but not unusual for Märklin. Send you an PN.

Do you know the "Märklin start-up club" too already?

http://www.maerklinfanclub.de/en/

Offline mrmarklin  
#6 Posted : 08 November 2018 09:48:42(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
There is a person in that ETE Club in the SF Bay Area scanning and translating all the Märklin magazines from issue one. This is in process, but I don’t know what stage.

Due to obvious copyright issues, this is likely to remain a local item and not posted to the internet. I’m not sure how the person doing this is going to handle distribution.

Dave
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline michelvr  
#7 Posted : 08 November 2018 18:12:34(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
There is a person in that ETE Club in the SF Bay Area scanning and translating all the Märklin magazines from issue one. This is in process, but I don’t know what stage.

Due to obvious copyright issues, this is likely to remain a local item and not posted to the internet. I’m not sure how the person doing this is going to handle distribution.

Dave

My heritage is Dutch and I might be thrifty but I'm not that cheap that I can't afford the Marklin Insider club membership. Come on support the Marklin Insider club by being a member it's only a hundred dollars after all! Once a member you'll have everything you heart desires.
Offline orionstars  
#8 Posted : 08 November 2018 19:01:16(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
I not sure the previous post was in regard to money. I have a feeling it was about the German language version having more content and the downloads only being available in German - hence the referenced individual doing the translation from German to English?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by orionstars
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 08 November 2018 20:46:03(UTC)
TEEWolf

I not sure the previous post was in regard to money. I have a feeling it was about the German language version having more content and the downloads only being available in German - hence the referenced individual doing the translation from German to English?

Indeed, at Märklins homepage the Märklin Magazine (MM) articles are as a PDF file only in German available. Whereas the printed MM are published in the languages English, French, Dutch and German. This Märklins homepage is informing, but only in the English version.Blink

https://www.maerklin.de/en/clubs/clubs/

(scroll down to the bottem line)
Offline michelvr  
#10 Posted : 09 November 2018 00:55:25(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   

Indeed, at Märklins homepage the Märklin Magazine (MM) articles are as a PDF file only in German available. Whereas the printed MM are published in the languages English, French, Dutch and German. This Märklins homepage is informing, but only in the English version.Blink

https://www.maerklin.de/en/clubs/clubs/

(scroll down to the bottem line)

Hello orionstars,

I was more or less trying to convey that the Marklin Insider Club is worth the money as it is the only link to what's happening from Marklin that I know of.

I hope that the english and german versions of the magizine are the same if not I did not know that.
Offline orionstars  
#11 Posted : 10 November 2018 02:33:29(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
Ahh. Got it!

I too have decided that joining is a worthwhile endeavour at least for the year to try.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by orionstars
Offline GlennM  
#12 Posted : 10 November 2018 03:31:57(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Ahh. Got it!

I too have decided that joining is a worthwhile endeavour at least for the year to try.

Just for the record the German magazine has a lot more articles and information inside than the English version
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline TEEWolf  
#13 Posted : 11 November 2018 00:47:17(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post
Ahh. Got it!

Just for the record the German magazine has a lot more articles and information inside than the English version

Did you compare both magazines already?
Offline mrmarklin  
#14 Posted : 11 November 2018 00:53:25(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post

Dave

My heritage is Dutch and I might be thrifty but I'm not that cheap that I can't afford the Marklin Insider club membership. Come on support the Marklin Insider club by being a member it's only a hundred dollars after all! Once a member you'll have everything you heart desires.

I am an Insider. We are talking old issues here.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline GlennM  
#15 Posted : 11 November 2018 16:50:26(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post
Ahh. Got it!

Did you compare both magazines already?

Yes I have acces to both English and German magazines and there is much more in the German version.
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline steventrain  
#16 Posted : 11 November 2018 18:25:05(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have english Marklin magazin from 2004 to date but I can not scan because MM copyright.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.