Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PeFu  
#1 Posted : 04 November 2018 21:22:25(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
THIS TOPIC CAN BE REMOVED AS I FOUND OUT FROM THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT THE RAILWAY CROSSING ACTUALLY COMES WITH A DECODER FIR DIGITAL CONTROL!

I have purchased a Faller 120171 Gated railway crossing which I later intend to use with a Faller Car System. Laying the railway tracks now in parallel to reading the Faller 120171 instructions, I am a bit confused on how to control the railway crossing.

On page 22-24, it says that input could be triggered from e.g. a Märklin C track 24994 switch track to ”GND”, which trigger that the gates are closed upto 10+20=30 seconds. It also says that if a new pulse is received at GND meantime, the gates are held closed.

Would anyone know if the gates will be closed also as long as there is a constant power at GND, instead of a short pulse? Confused

I would like to use a k84 or k83 decoder output for triggering the pulse, instead of a switch track. The decoder output will be controlled by some contact tracks. The setup is required because I will have double-track at the railway crossing AND the crossing will be in the middle of a block. I.e., if the train stops at the end of the block, the gates also need to be held closed!

Any input would be helpful! BigGrin

Faller 120171
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Nielsenr  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2018 16:35:22(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Yes, you are correct, the gate controller can be given a digital address so you can control it through a CS.

I too have been testing this gate crossing on a layout I am building for a client and I intend to use the Faller Car System. I had planned to use a S88 contact track to control the gate closing and opening. The leading edge of the contact track would close the gates and the trailing edge of the contact would open the gates. My problem has been the gates are way to slow to react. I first adjusted the P1 pot to the shortest delay and that did not help. The contact track started with what I thought was a good two foot lead in to the crossing, but the gates weren't down yet when the train came through the crossing. I then extended the contact track to a four foot lead in to the crossing and the gates still aren't completely down as the train hits the crossing. I may have to kit bash the system using a servo controller and hope I can get a better response time. I believe with servo control I will be able to control the speed of the servo and thus how fast the gates close

Robert.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline PeFu  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2018 17:02:10(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Thanks for your input, Robert! Well I have at least 5 S88-contacts in each direction, to test with...

I have some other questions on the digital operation:

- Do the LED:s start to flash immedately at the S88 contact input?

- Is P1 the parameter to set the time between S88 contact and gates to start closing?

- Is P1 also avtive when applying the following setting?

Digital mode 2: (CV49-Bit0=1)
A digital point signal »red« closes the gate.
A digital gate signal »green« opens the gate.

As I understand, P2 is not active in digital mode 2.

Blink

Edited by user 05 November 2018 23:16:27(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2018 20:36:33(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post
Yes, you are correct, the gate controller can be given a digital address so you can control it through a CS.

I too have been testing this gate crossing on a layout I am building for a client and I intend to use the Faller Car System. I had planned to use a S88 contact track to control the gate closing and opening. The leading edge of the contact track would close the gates and the trailing edge of the contact would open the gates. My problem has been the gates are way to slow to react. I first adjusted the P1 pot to the shortest delay and that did not help. The contact track started with what I thought was a good two foot lead in to the crossing, but the gates weren't down yet when the train came through the crossing. I then extended the contact track to a four foot lead in to the crossing and the gates still aren't completely down as the train hits the crossing. I may have to kit bash the system using a servo controller and hope I can get a better response time. I believe with servo control I will be able to control the speed of the servo and thus how fast the gates close

Robert.

The P1 pot sets the delay (1sec-10sec) between the first trigger to close the gate (when presumably the lights start flashing instantly) and when the arms start to go down. So at the fastest position, the arms will start 1 second after the trigger event that sets off the lights. That doesn't control how fast the arms come down. (P2 then sets how long after the last impulse the gate proceeds to go up again). The speed of the movement seems set by the gearing in the mechanism, and the voltage to the motor. It could be because the system is string-winding operated that the speed is fixed to provide reliable and prototypical speed performance.

How long does it take to lower the arm from when it starts moving until it reaches the bottom?

Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

As I understand, P2 is not active in digital mode 2.

That is what the instructions imply. The automatic operation (the P1 timer that determines how long the lights only blink once a trigger is seen, until the gates start to go down, and the P2 timer that indicates how long after the last trigger seen until the gates go up) is not used in the digital mode 2, where you directly tell the arms to start going up or down directly with the turnout signals red/green. Your then also driving the LED blinking yourself independently I assume.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 05 November 2018 20:43:14(UTC)
TEEWolf

@PeFu

Just found at the marklin-users.net thread

https://www.marklin-user...rklin-Digital-Newsletter

the new digital letter from Märklin USA

https://www.marklin-user...rce.ashx?a=47644&b=1

and they write something about the digital railway crossing from Märklin. Perhaps it gives some information for the Faller one as well?

P.S.: Did you found a decoder in this Faller railway crossing?

Edited by user 06 November 2018 00:31:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline blid  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2018 10:52:22(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
I don't know anything about the Faller Car System but some videos indicate that it takes about 5 sec for the gate to close. If the train travels in 100 (scale) km/h it moves about 32 cm/s if my math is correct. In other words you will need 1.6 meters plus margin for the gates to be closed in this example.

The delay between red blinking and gates starting to close depends on the cars passing the crossing. In the extremes: a Ferrari moving fast will probably make the two tracks without hitting the barrier even if the closing starts immediately but the heavy loader bringing the Br44 to Göppingen will need a long delay.

I have sent you a PM.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline Nielsenr  
#7 Posted : 08 November 2018 03:38:28(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Sorry for th delsy in responding, life has been busy.

In the digital control mode, P2 has no effect on the operation. The lights do come on immediately and then the minimum approx 1 second before gates begin to close. The 5 seconds to completely close is probably a close number. And yes, the gearing and voltage to motor is fixed so that is not something that can be modified. There also limit switches that connect into the controller to notify it of full open and full close positions. In my testing I have had one gate not fully close and the signals continue to blink.

My situation is a little difficult because the layout was already under construction when my client asked if I could add the Faller Car System. There was not a lot of options to where to put the RR Xing. It ended up being located extremely close to a multitrack station. I have used long contact tracks in a multitrack RR Xing that extend to both sides of RR Xing.. The S88 contacts for all RR tracks are tied together with the leading edge of the pulse causing gate closure and the trailing edge of the S88 contact causing gate opening. Thus as long as any train is in the crossing area, the gates remain down. There are some other technical issues I have had to deal with (alternating trains in the stations and in the S88 contact area when I do not want the gates to go down) that I won't get into but I think I have solved those problems.

I have a Faller servo controller and servos so I will try and kit bash something that might work. With the servo controller you can control how fast the servo moves.

Maybe I should have tried the Faller 120244 RR Xing since it uses servos and is also designed to use the Faller Car System ...

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr