Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ShannonN  
#1 Posted : 02 November 2018 06:02:11(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   

Comments note poor safety practices such as no safety gear (eye protection, no gloves) etc one train ignoring apparent stop request by worker

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline fusionfaded  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2018 14:52:21(UTC)
fusionfaded

Switzerland   
The missing safety gear isn't that much of a surprise, but where did you see a train ignoring a stop request by a worker?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fusionfaded
Offline ShannonN  
#3 Posted : 03 November 2018 15:36:13(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: fusionfaded Go to Quoted Post
The missing safety gear isn't that much of a surprise, but where did you see a train ignoring a stop request by a worker?

I read some of the youtube comments THEY said refusal to stop

Like I don't have the time to watch every video I put up I usually watch bits to see if its boring often start a few minutes in:) the incident may be at time stamp 0:45 leave your comment on youtube dissin the guy that wrote the comment about stopping that's where it came from

Someone on another forum said it may not have been a stop request (1 hand raised not two) but an acknowledgment to the train driver the worker has heard the horn and seen him, but regardless there should have been speed restrictions in place through that work zone
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#4 Posted : 03 November 2018 18:27:36(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
Safety gear is not everything it is cracked up to be. It is mostly put in place by people who do not do the work, instead they work out of an office far away. With a lot of safety gear the workers safety is actually compromised as they dull the vision (goggles) feelings (gloves) and visibility. (In a sea of orange vest everybody seems to wear these days, your orange vest does not stand out anymore. You just blend in with your surroundings.) Aren't you glad some college kid decides what you have to wear at work?

I did not see a stop request at 0:45, I saw a worker wave.
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline Tom Jessop  
#5 Posted : 03 November 2018 22:33:23(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

The track worker at 00.45 is actually a lookout for the other workers on site , he has just blown a trumpet ? & is putting it back in his pocket . The train driver has blown his horn & then the lookout acknowledges his horn by a wave of the hand which is the common acknowledgement on most rail related work sites world wide . . Yes the speed may be looked at as being excessive but this would be already considered when the planning is being done for the track work . There would have been speed boards at the either end of the site & that train was travelling at the allowed speed where as the other trains seen have slowed down so the driver can see what is happening for his own benefit & also his passengers , we all are sidewalk superintendents where massive works are being carried out . When I was driving trains I was always interested in what was happening at these sites even to the extent of walking along the work site seeing what was being done when I was on a Ballast train waiting to drop stone under the sleepers . Getting paid to do nothing usually at double time while waiting for our turn to create more dust & noise .

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Dave Banks  
#6 Posted : 03 November 2018 22:44:04(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Wildrose-Wally you speak the truth. In Australia work place health & safety is over the top. It drives me nuts all these concocted rules & regulations dreamed up by those in the tall glass towers trying to justify their existence. I live in the nanny state "Queensland" Cool. What happened to the good old days where common sense prevailed Confused
D.A.Banks
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Tom Jessop  
#7 Posted : 03 November 2018 23:56:02(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

We are not allowed to have or use any common sense in Oz these days . These so called experts would not have a clue about use of different tools no matter how small or big they may be & probably haven't seen the thing in operation . Some things they have brought in maybe be a plus but most are totally useless . Wearing PPE in the outdoors in mid summer when you are the only person on site is madness , safety helmets are only good if nothing happens above you because they wont save you . Safety vests are now so common that people don't look at them when out & about ,as common as chickens in a fowl yard . GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR some of that stuff makes my blood boil .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline ShannonN  
#8 Posted : 04 November 2018 00:38:33(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Dave Banks Go to Quoted Post
What happened to the good old days where common sense prevailed Confused

The newer, younger generations that replaced those with common sense have mobile phones and are addicted to them and have no common sense at all. Seen so many QR trackworkers on the phone standing in the middle of adjacent track oblivious to the world around them, Sure the stop board may be out for the trackwork section, lookouts can only lookout if their alert etc

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ShannonN