Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 02 September 2018 04:53:32(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

After a 2 month complete hiatus from anything train related (work and moving house...) I'm just now getting a bit of free time again. My existing trains are still packed from the move and not coming out for a little time still, but about a month ago I wound up with a set of 7 346 series passenger cars in "trashed" shape. No rust, but absolutely terrible and scratched paint condition.

I believe these are lithographed, or do I have that wrong? Anyhow my big question: how does one restore these? Painting I"m not worried about, but the prep I have not a clue with this material. Can you use a paint stripper, or does it need to be sanded somehow?

Also, I'm assuming the same process would be used for any 40XX passenger car?

Advice is appreciated. I've decided to tear them down and repaint them in a fun color/livery, although exactly what I'm not sure of just yet...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 02 September 2018 10:32:12(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Usually not the old paint is the problem, but the rust. After stripping the paint you will usually see more rust than you expected. I use anti rust primer (for cars) and sand it until I have a smooth surface. For stripping the colour I use old brake-fluid. Brake fluid is very toxic and should only be handled with chemical resistant gloves and safety-glasses. But it works best.

Regards

Markus
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2018 03:09:53(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Usually not the old paint is the problem, but the rust. After stripping the paint you will usually see more rust than you expected. I use anti rust primer (for cars) and sand it until I have a smooth surface. For stripping the colour I use old brake-fluid. Brake fluid is very toxic and should only be handled with chemical resistant gloves and safety-glasses. But it works best.

Regards

Markus

Very interesting regarding the rust Markus. I might do one sample car just to learn with. Do you soak in the brake fluid overnight or something like that? Or simply scrub with it and a brush?

Thanks for the insights!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2018 08:29:27(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

With the fluid you can usually sweep away the colour after a few minutes. Don't use a brush. That makes splashes which could reach your face.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2018 15:51:49(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
An update here, with images to follow over the weekend. I've disassembled the 4 coaches, and am now planning step one of the restoration. A few notes for those interested in following along, as well as a few questions for the experts!

Notes:
- Disassembly was predictably quite easy. It also revealed a bit about marklin's assembly process. If I were doing a proper restoration instead of a fantasy train, I'd label that job much more difficult as it would require replicating some of the masking techniques etc...
- I pulled the cars fully apart with the exception of the 4 side/end walls. The metal tabs appear machine-bent and rather unruly. I need to study this further but I might be best off leaving the 4 corner joints alone...
- There is going to be some necessary straightening of metalwork. Nothing major, but the minor spots are harder than the major dents to repair. There might have to be some level of compromise.
- these cars at some point were largely touched up/covered with house paint, so its hard to evaluate the exact body condition until they are fully stripped.
- I never mentioned this, but the set is a 346/6 coach, a 346/2 diner, a 346/5 postal car but with the wrong baggage car roof, and a 346/1BS coach with tail lights. I'd have preferred to keep some of these more obscure cars original, but they are totally destroyed so it doesnt really matter at this point

Questions:
- The 4 corners of the coach body- does anyone have a trick for disassembly, and then reassembly?
- Primer: I'm thinking about using an etching primer to lock the rust in, but also properly prep the surface. Does anyone else have a better idea? Or a reason etching primer is less than ideal?
- The paint itself. I want to keep that tinplate look in the new finish, which I'm not sure I'll get with model paint. I'm researching options for Lionel O scale restorations as those guys have the lithograph methods figured out, but does anyone have other ideas?

My next steps:
- While I was going to use brake fluid, a friend has granted access to a sandblaster/mediablaster. I'm going to test this method first as it seems safer for both the environment and less hassle to implement/try out. Hoping to do at least a trial coach on Sunday if I can break free to the shop.
- Assuming all cleans up and strips nicely, I'll access the metal work and sand/prep as best I can right away to minimize exposure of the bare metal
- This is to be followed by a quick primer coat. That is about as far as I will get in a weekend, plus I still need to decide on a livery!

Livery ideas welcome! Particularly those that would involve little to no lettering on the car sides.

Edited by user 10 October 2018 19:54:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era 2-5