Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mgbeck_98  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2018 17:07:22(UTC)
mgbeck_98

United States   
I'm joining a European module group that is DC/DCC which sort of excludes much of my collection from running on the modules. I've started collecting, in a small way, engines and railcars so I can run somethingRollEyes. I have decided that when I purchase 4415ish wagens new, that I will get the DC wheelsets so I can run on the modules with these cars. My question is, is there going to be a problem running on AC C-Track? I.E. are there gauge differences?
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 14 September 2018 17:18:36(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
if your layout relies on insulated lengths of rail as train detectors (by electrically bridging the two running rails through the axle) the the DC axles wont trigger the sensors.
They might if they have a resistor installed, but not sure how reliable that may be.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline mgbeck_98  
#3 Posted : 14 September 2018 17:58:19(UTC)
mgbeck_98

United States   
Yes, electronically I understand that. I was thinking more operationally rather than electronically (i.e. not derailing and stuff)

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
if your layout relies on insulated lengths of rail as train detectors (by electrically bridging the two running rails through the axle) the the DC axles wont trigger the sensors.
They might if they have a resistor installed, but not sure how reliable that may be.

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 14 September 2018 18:41:25(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: mgbeck_98 Go to Quoted Post
My question is, is there going to be a problem running on AC C-Track? I.E. are there gauge differences?
There are gauge differences.
In my experience, Trix (Märklin DC), Fleischmann, and Roco wheelsets work fine on Märklin C Track.
Piko, Tillig, and Liliput lead to derailments.
I have a tool that allows adjusting the wheel spacing of wheelsets. It is possible to adjust e.g. Piko and Tillig wheelsets so they work reliably on Märklin C Track and on Trix C Track.

Long story short: the 4415 with DC wheelsets should work on Märklin C Track without any adjustments.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline CTD81  
#5 Posted : 14 September 2018 21:08:24(UTC)
CTD81

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Originally Posted by: mgbeck_98 Go to Quoted Post
My question is, is there going to be a problem running on AC C-Track? I.E. are there gauge differences?
There are gauge differences.
In my experience, Trix (Märklin DC), Fleischmann, and Roco wheelsets work fine on Märklin C Track.
Piko, Tillig, and Liliput lead to derailments.
I have a tool that allows adjusting the wheel spacing of wheelsets. It is possible to adjust e.g. Piko and Tillig wheelsets so they work reliably on Märklin C Track and on Trix C Track.

Long story short: the 4415 with DC wheelsets should work on Märklin C Track without any adjustments.

Hi I have had no problems running dc wheel sets on c-track even plastic Lima wheels
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CTD81
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 14 September 2018 22:58:18(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: CTD81 Go to Quoted Post
Hi I have had no problems running dc wheel sets on c-track even plastic Lima wheels
Good for you.
I've had problems with recent rolling stock from Piko, Tillig, and Liliput when the train is being pushed over R2 turnouts. Fewer problems with pulled trains, especially if turnouts are taken "straight".

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline CTD81  
#7 Posted : 22 September 2018 13:07:09(UTC)
CTD81

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: CTD81 Go to Quoted Post
Good for you.
I've had problems with recent rolling stock from Piko, Tillig, and Liliput when the train is being pushed over R2 turnouts. Fewer problems with pulled trains, especially if turnouts are taken "straight".

I did have a problem with Fleishmann coaches derailing on curves which I traced to the Markin coupling that I fitted fouling the buffers, after changing the coupling to a different type solved that problem. I also add more weight to my rolling stock for better running.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CTD81