Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ShannonN  
#1 Posted : 17 September 2018 03:32:48(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   

From the authors notes:

As the driver is Stan Tuesley, this film is older than the documentary Bill Peach made for the ABC about the Gulf country in the later 1970s which includes footage of the Gulflander as the driver was Charlie Honey at that time.

Charlie was always seen with a rolled cigarette and it was said that the train did so many miles to the tin of log cabin tobacco. When I first visited Croydon in the late 1960s the railway station was covered with a huge canopy as at Normanton.

At the time this 8mm film was shot the canopy had been destroyed by a cyclone and there was no trace of it left. The train is seen at and departing Croydon which was reduced to a simple country like station. The tourist boom in the area has led to the building of another canopy which again covers the station an railway.

The Gulflander meanders along at a sedate speed ideal for the line and its condition. Photographing it in many places is thus fairly easy if driving. On one trip up there about 1986 with Charlie Honey at the controls though, the train was very hard to catch up to after each photo and indeed Charlie must have thought he was driving an XPT express.

Didn't therefore get much in the way of pictures and to make it worse we had to leave our caravan in Croydon to make the photographic expedition possible and had to go back to pick it up. The Gulflander though, must have made it to Normanton in record time that day.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2018 03:58:49(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
We have done this trip (about 14 or so years ago).. Not in that particular railcar, but I recommend that this trip should be on everyone's bucket list. Also in Normanton is the Purple Pub.. Accommodation is a bit rough, but I take my hat off to anyone who manages to get a caravan up there in one piece.. There are lots of road trains on that road..

UserPostedImage
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by xxup