Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline loderunner  
#51 Posted : 19 April 2018 18:16:16(UTC)
loderunner

Canada   
Originally Posted by: QQQ1970 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks. How would you translate fernschnellzuge into English?

The best translation to Fernschnellzuge (F-Zug) is "express trains".
Offline steventrain  
#52 Posted : 19 April 2018 21:43:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I notice too many on ebay. I see orders still available from German dealers included Lokshop.

First batch out as on ebay, the second batch bulk coming in few months.

Price now reduced to 800-850 EURO ebay but not sold any yet (but one sold as first on ebay).

Not high demand item.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline mario54i  
#53 Posted : 15 May 2018 11:30:56(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Question about 26602 TEE Rheingold: should the blue-cream panorama coach be labeled "RHEINGOLD" or "DEUTSCHE BUNDESBAHN" ?
The only picture I found where I can clearly see the side of the coach, taken in Basel ( Mertens-Malaspina page 103 of the italian version), shows "RHEINGOLD".
When was the change between ""DEUTSCHE BUNDESBAHN" and RHEINGOLD"?
A blue-cream TEE Rheingold could have had more than four coaches ?

Thanks
Regards
Offline kimballthurlow  
#54 Posted : 15 May 2018 13:13:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mario54i Go to Quoted Post
Question about 26602 TEE Rheingold: should the blue-cream panorama coach be labeled "RHEINGOLD" or "DEUTSCHE BUNDESBAHN" ?
The only picture I found where I can clearly see the side of the coach, taken in Basel ( Mertens-Malaspina page 103 of the italian version), shows "RHEINGOLD".
When was the change between ""DEUTSCHE BUNDESBAHN" and RHEINGOLD"?
A blue-cream TEE Rheingold could have had more than four coaches ?

Thanks
Regards

Hi Mario,
Good question.
You probably mean 26604, the set with the SBB locomotive.

Compare with both the 43883 set and the tinplate 40850 using RHEINGOLD lettering.
Maerklin says the 40850 commemorates the 1957 start of TEE.
Whereas the 26604 says it is 1962.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline mario54i  
#55 Posted : 15 May 2018 14:27:18(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Thanks for spotting, the blue cream TEE Rheingold with SBB Re4/4I is 26604.
regards
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline kimballthurlow  
#56 Posted : 16 May 2018 10:52:50(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
I got my 26928 from the Australian dealer Nathans Trains last week.
Brilliant locomotive sounds (goes to a new level IMO), fine artwork and printing on the carriage sides.
It is my first BR18.5, I have been waiting for the era II version.

Regarding the collectability of this train set, some are saying it is being discounted in Europe, and I confirm around 10% is available at a number of retailers.
Perhaps for those retailers 10% is normal to offer their good clients.
But the Maerklin website says it is all SOLD OUT (to dealers).
As a retailer (not in the hobby business) I wonder what the dealer idea is.
If it is such a desirable set, I would leave it on the shelf for up to 6 months, then discount it or break it up if it has not sold.

I can only guess that they hope
1. to sell them all quickly, and
2. for those who wait to miss out.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mario54i  
#57 Posted : 16 May 2018 11:09:51(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
After long search through books and wikipedia I think I found the answer about 26604 TEE Rheingold dome car.
The dome cars built in 1962 for Rheingold had eight windows and RHEINGOLD lettering, later other dome cars were built for Rheinpfeil with four windows and DEUTSCHE BUNDESBAHN lettering. Is this correct ?
So apparently the 26604 has a Rheinpfeil dome car.

Regards
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mario54i
Offline TEEWolf  
#58 Posted : 17 May 2018 02:22:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks. How would you translate fernschnellzuge into English?

The German "Fernschnellzug" for me is in English a "long distance through (or express) train".

It is like in the New York City subway. There you have express trains stopping only at every 5th or 6th station and then the local trains, which stopps at every station. Same principle with the Fernschnellzug. Today the equivalent is the ICE (Inter City Express).

Mainly these "Fernschnellzüge" are shortend named as "FD-Zug" for "Fernschnelldurchgangszug". Yes, so is the German language. You can built endless words.BigGrin. Make life easier everybody only says "Fernschnellzug".

F stands for the German "Fern-" = long distance and the D stands for "Durchgehend" or "Durchgang" = through or nonstop train.
Offline TEEWolf  
#59 Posted : 17 May 2018 02:48:27(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: mario54i Go to Quoted Post
After long search through books and wikipedia I think I found the answer about 26604 TEE Rheingold dome car.
The dome cars built in 1962 for Rheingold had eight windows and RHEINGOLD lettering, later other dome cars were built for Rheinpfeil with four windows and DEUTSCHE BUNDESBAHN lettering. Is this correct ?
So apparently the 26604 has a Rheinpfeil dome car.

Regards

Correct and probabely you missed the German Wikipedia article about the "Aussichtswagen" (=dome cars) because this article is not in English available, but in French and Dutch.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aussichtswagen

The complete article about the Rheingold is here

https://de.wikipedia.org...ki/Rheingold_(Zug)#Wagen

Unfortunately all these articles are not a 1 to 1 translation. They are rewritten in the various languages. So they have different text and descriptions.
Offline TEEWolf  
#60 Posted : 17 May 2018 03:09:22(UTC)
TEEWolf

Has anyone seen a video review of the new Rheingold? Link appreciated. Thanks.

I do not have a video link but do you know this thread at marklin-users.net about the Rheingold?

https://www.marklin-user...-26604-TEE-Rheingold-Set

In my post #4 I setted some further links about the Rheigold including its history too. Like

http://www.bundesbahnzeit.de/seite.php?id=369

http://www.heinrich-hank...enbahn/zugbildung/_d.htm

and a video from the beige/blue area. Because I bought last year the Tin-Plate Rheingold in beige/blue.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/40850/
https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/30390/

Here

https://estore-sslserver...Products/%2226928%20-%22

you may order the actual Rheingold. Delivery time 3 days and then we see a video from you?BigGrin

It is a really nice train, unfortunately not inexpensive.

Today they still offer special train rides with the Rheingold.

https://www.rheingold-zug.com/

and something about the coaches from 1928/1929 in original size

https://www.rheingold-zug.com/wagen-1928-29.aspx

Here

https://www.rheingold-zu...ced=true&forced=true

they even offer on June, 17th 2018 a trip with these old coaches and the steamer 18.201 from Dortmund via Cologne to Koblenz and back. But I guess this train ride is already sold out.

In Koblenz is a huge railroad museum of the Deutsche Bahn AG.

https://www.dbmuseum.de/...ranches/dbmuseum_koblenz
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Armando  
#61 Posted : 10 June 2018 05:57:10(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi everyone!

I received my 26928 "Rheingold 1928" set today. I can only say that it is a marvelous set!

I can't begin to praise the sheer beauty of the BR 18.5! I had bid my time and waited until Märklin released it in Era II, in its original splendor.

And the coaches are simply eye-candy!

I would like to be able to adjust some of the values from factory. For example, the white LED of the interior lighting in the coaches is obscenely bright. I would prefer to dim it. However, I am at odds to find the right mapping with the newer update of the software for the CS2. Other values that I would like to change are the smoke function (to make the output of smoke proportional to the speed of the locomotive) and setting the horn sound to max 2 seconds.

Has anyone attempted to do this with the recent update of the CS2? It was so obvious and easy before! Now it is really very confusing.

Thanks!
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Armando
Offline QQQ1970  
#62 Posted : 08 July 2018 04:58:14(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Finally got my set today. Question:

Does your set come with engineer and fireman? Marklin official site suggests the loco comes with both but my set have neither. Please advise.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#63 Posted : 08 July 2018 08:20:28(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Finally got my set today. Question:

Does your set come with engineer and fireman? Marklin official site suggests the loco comes with both but my set have neither. Please advise.

H 1970,
I purchased my set (with certificate showing #273 of 2999) from the Australian dealer Nathans Trains.
It came with a fireman (blue coat and shovel) and a driver (grey coat).
The packet also included the two cylinder extension rods and the two air hoses for the buffer beams.

Kimball
Offline QQQ1970  
#64 Posted : 08 July 2018 09:13:14(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Thanks. Both are missing on my set.
Offline steventrain  
#65 Posted : 08 July 2018 10:07:40(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks. Both are missing on my set.

Contact Marklin to get some for you.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline QQQ1970  
#66 Posted : 10 July 2018 02:41:20(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Different question. I set up both decoders in CS3 but there are no icon for either. How to find those in the library?
Offline TEEWolf  
#67 Posted : 10 July 2018 03:50:07(UTC)
TEEWolf

Different question. I set up both decoders in CS3 but there are no icon for either. How to find those in the library?

Have you ever had a look into the CS 3 manual? (Not the 2 manuals which came with your trainset.) On page 11 you find the descritption for adding lococs manually, especially if they are not yet in the database.

Your train is pretty new. I do not remember a CS 3 update since Märklin is delivering this train. I guess your trainset - which has 2 mfx decoders - is not yet listed in the database. Then you have to follow the instructions on page 11 CS 3 manual right down corner.
Offline GaryTrooper  
#68 Posted : 14 July 2018 04:29:01(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
This thread made me want to run the set today.

G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by GaryTrooper
Offline dickinsonj  
#69 Posted : 14 July 2018 15:19:10(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: GaryTrooper Go to Quoted Post

Very nice - thanks for sharing!

I have the 41929 set and I love them. I still have not added coach lighting because the unlighted coaches show off the table lamps so well. One of these days I will have to try that though, just to see which way I prefer them. Those coaches make adding the lights very easy and that is definitely something that I need to explore.

I could not ID the loco you are pulling them with. I use the 39007 class 01 for mine which I know is a bit later than the coaches, but in my MRR world I follow my own rules. Cool I just claim that it is an excursion train and sometimes I even pull that rake of coaches with my 39241, which is even more of a stretch. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline GaryTrooper  
#70 Posted : 14 July 2018 16:00:35(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Very nice - thanks for sharing!

I could not ID the loco you are pulling them with. I use the 39007 class 01 for mine which I know is a bit later than the coaches, but in my MRR world I follow my own rules. Cool I just claim that it is an excursion train and sometimes I even pull that rake of coaches with my 39241, which is even more of a stretch. BigGrin

The loco is a 3085. I dont have a Class 01 loco. The coaches are actually from two sets of 4228. I rarely hit an actual prototypical consist but still try.

I was thinking of trying to make lamp shades for the LED table lights using a laser printer. My son has access to a laser printer. I haven't used one yet. This might be a good first laser printer project for me.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
Offline dickinsonj  
#71 Posted : 14 July 2018 16:46:08(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I was thinking of trying to make lamp shades for the LED table lights using a laser printer. My son has access to a laser printer. I haven't used one yet. This might be a good first laser printer project for me.

Great Idea Gary. If you do that please share images of the results. I need to do more to enhance my passenger coaches, including some interior painting and placing passengers inside. Many years ago I populated my Era III DB set of coaches with passengers and I have yet to get back to any of my other coaches. Now I can add updating the table lamps to my never ending list of upgrade projects. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline TEEWolf  
#72 Posted : 14 July 2018 17:12:13(UTC)
TEEWolf

@GaryTrooper

this looks only very nice and beautiful. Thanks. My questions you answered in your following post already. Because 2 baggage cars? The passengers must have had tons of baggage.Smile Perhaps this was the travel style at that times - who knows?

But the difference between the steamer BR 01 and BR 03 should have been (I am not an expert in these facts, but there are plenty of them running through the various communitiesBigGrin) only the axle load.

The BR 01 had (as I remember - experts please forgive me [although corrections always welcome] I am not so good in numbers) 20 to per axle load (Märklin is using the German word "Achsdruck", which would be by a word to word translation "axle pressure", but I could not found such an English word)

The BR 03 had 18 to per axle. Therefor the BR 03 was built, because a lot of tracks at the train lines were only built for a weight of 17 to per axle. And of course the "Deutsche Reichsbahn Gesellschaft" (DRG) would use this new fine steamer for all of their train lines.

I read something about the BR 03 at Märklin's homepage, while I bought the BR 03 244 from Märklin (art# 37956) with mfx+. I like this loco very much, also I still do have a BR 01 analogue (art# 3048) from my younger days.RollEyes At the moment I am very undecided to change it to digital or not. But I got my BR 03 - so I do not feel any pressure for a decision.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline GaryTrooper  
#73 Posted : 14 July 2018 18:48:42(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

this looks only very nice and beautiful. Thanks. My questions you answered in your following post already. Because 2 baggage cars? The passengers must have had tons of baggage.Smile Perhaps this was the travel style at that times - who knows?

But the difference between the steamer BR 01 and BR 03 should have been (I am not an expert in these facts, but there are plenty of them running through the various communitiesBigGrin) only the axle load.

The BR 01 had (as I remember - experts please forgive me [although corrections always welcome] I am not so good in numbers) 20 to per axle load (Märklin is using the German word "Achsdruck", which would be by a word to word translation "axle pressure", but I could not found such an English word)

The BR 03 had 18 to per axle. Therefor the BR 03 was built, because a lot of tracks at the train lines were only built for a weight of 17 to per axle. And of course the "Deutsche Reichsbahn Gesellschaft" (DRG) would use this new fine steamer for all of their train lines.

I read something about the BR 03 at Märklin's homepage, while I bought the BR 03 244 from Märklin (art# 37956) with mfx+. I like this loco very much, also I still do have a BR 01 analogue (art# 3048) from my younger days.RollEyes At the moment I am very undecided to change it to digital or not. But I got my BR 03 - so I do not feel any pressure for a decision.

Thank you for the clarification between the BR 01 and the BR 03. I am still learning the subtle differences between all the various European locomotives. Feel free to provide any information or references. My most recent study has been the Bavarian system equipment.

I am at a great disadvantage with regard to constructing prototypical consists and maintaining era related themes. I have never been to Europe and have never seen European trains first hand. Between seeing random photographs, reading random articles, and acquiring differing era models over the course of time my layouts look very schizophrenic to the serious prototype modeler.

When I started collecting Marklin trains I was very young but I did have control over the models I wanted and could choose. That was between the mid sixties and the early eighties. Maintain era related themes was easy because era IV wasn't fully established by the time I went to college and packed the trains away. During the post college years the local hobby store, where I got all of my trains from as a kid (and had my first job), went out of business. I had moved far away from where I grew up and my mother went to the hobby store's going out of business auction and picked up several very nice models for me. The models were a mixture of digital and analog, European and North American, and era I, III, and IV. This was the start of having to adjust to multiple themes. To further complicate things my wife was originally from Germany and when she would visit her relatives she would bring back gifts. One time she came home with an X12 and an ICE 3 set. That was pretty much the end of trying to maintain era related themes. Additionally, up to that point all of my passenger coaches were 24 cm and could navigate the turnouts with the large lanterns. Now I can run different trains at different times to be consistent with and an era but the scenery will never be consistent.

The two baggage cars on the Rheingold consist in the posted video is a result from reading through this thread about how the consists would change at different locations along the route, such as picking up or dropping off coaches along the way. I am sure the way I have the Rheingold coaches arranged is not even close to reality. European coach colors completely mess with my OCD. I like passenger trains to all have the same paint schemes. North American Amtrak paint schemes consists just kill me as there is no visual continuity. So the Rheingold consist in the posted video is arranged to satisfy my personnel OCD. One may notice that I have rotated the roofs of baggage cars so the bummed sections of the roofs is towards the outer ends of the consist, making like a bookend sort of thing. I know... It's a sickness. LOL. But I am having fun.

G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GaryTrooper
Offline kiwiAlan  
#74 Posted : 14 July 2018 23:49:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

I think you are referring to "axle loading" that is how much of the loco weight is being carried by each axle, so you are quoting 18 tonne/axle for the Br01, and 17 tonne/axle for the Br03.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dickinsonj  
#75 Posted : 15 July 2018 01:52:46(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

The two baggage cars on the Rheingold consist in the posted video is a result from reading through this thread about how the consists would change at different locations along the route, such as picking up or dropping off coaches along the way. I am sure the way I have the Rheingold coaches arranged is not even close to reality. European coach colors completely mess with my OCD. I like passenger trains to all have the same paint schemes. North American Amtrak paint schemes consists just kill me as there is no visual continuity. So the Rheingold consist in the posted video is arranged to satisfy my personnel OCD. One may notice that I have rotated the roofs of baggage cars so the bummed sections of the roofs is towards the outer ends of the consist, making like a bookend sort of thing. I know... It's a sickness. LOL. But I am having fun.

Having the baggage coaches at both ends is correct for some routes at some times, and that has been thrashed out here many times. BigGrin So I think that you are correct in that detail!

I don't think that you are alone at all in being OCD about your trains, which from my point of view is really kind of central to this hobby. Having control of your own world is one of the coolest parts of model trains IMO. BigGrin

Besides, you have no idea how anal I am about all kinds of details on my trains but just like you, I have no idea if they are correct or imaginary, so you are not alone. BigGrin

I work to perfect my understanding of what is correct on details but I still enjoy my own personal detail rules and being consistent with them as I learn. Cool
Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline steventrain  
#76 Posted : 02 September 2018 10:44:19(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
26928 still available.

Sold Out at factory last February?Confused
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline QQQ1970  
#77 Posted : 02 September 2018 12:50:57(UTC)
QQQ1970

Canada   
Sold out at factory but dealers still have them.
Offline dickinsonj  
#78 Posted : 02 September 2018 13:35:57(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
What I believe Steven is referring to is that Märklin's website currently shows this item to be in stock and available for purchase.

This is strange because months ago they were listed as factory sold out.
Regards,
Jim

Offline H0  
#79 Posted : 02 September 2018 13:51:24(UTC)
H0

The wonderful world of Märklin: the German text says it is not available in the Online Shop - but as of today it is available in the Online Shop.

I don't expect that Märklin will tell us the truth, the full truth, and nothing but the truth about this contradiction.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#80 Posted : 02 September 2018 14:16:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The wonderful world of Märklin: the German text says it is not available in the Online Shop - but as of today it is available in the Online Shop.

I don't expect that Märklin will tell us the truth, the full truth, and nothing but the truth about this contradiction.

It is a bit like the myth that Museum Models are only available at the museum, for many years it was possible to order them from your dealer at the same price as the museum sold them. These days they appear to sell them to the dealer at the museum sale price, and the dealer then puts 10% handling charge on to sell it to you.

Offline steventrain  
#81 Posted : 02 September 2018 17:20:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Maybe lack of order from Export dealers because of currency too high?

I think Marklin decide sell more to Germany and other EU dealers that export?
Offline H0  
#82 Posted : 02 September 2018 19:10:09(UTC)
H0

I think Märklin will not make an official announcement.

If it truly was sold out at the factory, then maybe some dealers cancelled their orders or filed for bankruptcy or closed for good - and now it is no longer sold out at the factory and they have a few sets they can sell in their webshop.

Maybe 2999 pieces were a few too many. We will see how the value of this set develops over time.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kimballthurlow  
#83 Posted : 03 September 2018 00:20:21(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
My local Maerklin dealer in Brisbane sold all his pre-ordered stock.
Numbers are commercial in confidence.

Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline dickinsonj  
#84 Posted : 03 September 2018 00:57:12(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Maybe lack of order from Export dealers because of currency too high?

I think Marklin decide sell more to Germany and other EU dealers that export?

That all certainly fits with what I have seen over the last year with North American Märklin dealers. Availability is down with more responses of "sorry we have already sold our allotment" from several dealers. And there was one set that I had a firm order on and months later the merchant told me that their allotment had been cut and I would not be getting one afterall.

I have also seen the discount go from 15-20% off retail to as little as 5%, so something is driving that as well. Maybe the lack of available product going to NA and other export markets? Good thing I already have a lot of MRR stuff. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#85 Posted : 03 September 2018 01:42:10(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
26928 still available.

Sold Out at factory last February?Confused

Mine arrived a few weeks ago, must post some pictures.

Unfortunately, the outer box let some moisture in during its travels, so the top right of the 26928 box is a bit wrinkled. The contents inside were OK, but the fact that the box got slightly wet annoys me!

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
I have also seen the discount go from 15-20% off retail to as little as 5%....

I think it was 20% I got off mine through BW Bahn with TeeWolf's help (thanks Wolf!)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline dickinsonj  
#86 Posted : 03 September 2018 01:54:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Mine arrived a few weeks ago, must post some pictures.

Unfortunately, the outer box let some moisture in during its travels, so the top right of the 26928 box is a bit wrinkled. The contents inside were OK, but the fact that the box got slightly wet annoys me!

Yeah - the wet packaging would annoy me too, although it is good that the contents are fine. Buying stuff from so far away can be a challenge.

I think it was 20% I got off mine through BW Bahn with TeeWolf's help (thanks Wolf!)

Wolfgang is a deal finding machine and a good friend to have when hunting for great deals and rare models - or at any other time actually. Cool
Regards,
Jim

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#87 Posted : 05 September 2018 10:21:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Pictures as promised.

2.jpg

Note the slight box warping on the top right hand corner where it got slightly wet.

1.jpg

The outer box as received before it was opened - moisture got in the gap in the top flap.

4.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#88 Posted : 06 September 2018 01:50:25(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

I have placed on order a second one via Modelbahn Lippe, 1 is not enough and btw I have 3x 37118 Wurttemberg C's as well Drool LOL LOL LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by I_love_Marklin_37538
Offline steventrain  
#89 Posted : 06 September 2018 10:52:26(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Sold out at factory again.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#90 Posted : 06 September 2018 22:56:16(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
By the way.

Persons receiving their #26928 should be aware that mine came with a significant error in the packaging.
My dealer contacted Marklin immediately and the issue was resolved promptly.

Check your coaches.
I had three 1st class coaches, and only one second class. Two of the 1st class were duplicates.
This may not bother some people, but it might be an irritant if you discover the problem years later when too late to fix.

Kimball
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline dickinsonj  
#91 Posted : 07 September 2018 01:23:25(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
By the way.

Persons receiving their #26928 should be aware that mine came with a significant error in the packaging.
My dealer contacted Marklin immediately and the issue was resolved promptly.

Check your coaches.
I had three 1st class coaches, and only one second class. Two of the 1st class were duplicates.
This may not bother some people, but it might be an irritant if you discover the problem years later when too late to fix.

Kimball

I agree Kimball - it is wise to be wary.

My 26929 set came from Hungary with the wrong internal CC coupler parts and with those assembled into the wrong coaches, so only the first two coaches going forward would conduct power. I moved the CC parts and it all lighted but I had to order the correct coupler parts which I have yet to install. The "arms" of those parts were too short and the coupler pockets could get stuck to one side and then derail the coaches when they were curved in the other direction.

These are lovely coaches and that is a beautiful train, well worth owning. But I don't suggest taking anything as a given as far as quality control goes with coach sets from Märklin in Hungary.
Regards,
Jim

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#92 Posted : 07 September 2018 03:51:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Just checked the photos of my 26928 - it has two 1st class and two 2nd class coaches, plus the baggage car.

I also have the 41928 set and one of the Brawa additional baggage cars, as well as the 42283 coach set, so should be able to make 2 or 3 decent trains out of those!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Alko  
#93 Posted : 18 October 2018 17:12:45(UTC)
Alko

United States   
Wow those pictures look great!
Does anyone have a picture of the Brawa to compare to? Brawa is suppose to be new tool I wonder which one has better detail
Offline franciscohg  
#94 Posted : 18 October 2018 22:37:14(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, the Brawa set is to be delivered in 2019, of course it is reserved..jeje
Having many Brawa items it would not surprise me that it will have a great level of details, wich might be a problem when running your trains, we will see
Regards
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#95 Posted : 19 October 2018 00:07:14(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Having many Brawa items it would not surprise me that it will have a great level of details........

Agreed. My Brawa baggage car has more detail than the Märklin one, but that can be a double edged sword as Francisco hints at. More details means more things that can be broken off.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline dickinsonj  
#96 Posted : 19 October 2018 01:37:14(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Agreed. My Brawa baggage car has more detail than the Märklin one, but that can be a double edged sword as Francisco hints at. More details means more things that can be broken off.

That is that definitely true, and also don't forget just how little of that detailing you can actually see when these models are out on an HO scale layout. They look amazing when I make images of them with my macro lense but then when I run them a lot of that disappears.

Not to say that I am above temptation myself, because I do have some intricately detailed models which photograph beautifully. But I have broken far too many detail parts on some of them, like my Orient Express coaches for instance and it is good to keep some perspective on detailing versus utility IMO.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#97 Posted : 19 October 2018 14:22:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I see some pictures of the blue / red coaches from 1952 Tom refers to in the attached Eisenbahn Journal Rheingold Special, but not being a German speaker I don't know if there's any info relating to the immediate post war period. Perhaps Tom and other German speakers/readers might find something.

Eisenbahn Journal Special 2011-01-Rheingold.pdf (11,479kb) downloaded 43 time(s).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kimballthurlow  
#98 Posted : 19 October 2018 22:08:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Here is my story.
Most of it is extremely likely to have been readings from authoritative sources, so this comes from my memory.
I have an extremely good memory, but please take this with as much as a teaspoon or as little as a grain of salt as you please.

At the start of the 1939 war special trains (such as the Rheingold) were put into storage because the patronage for this type of train was no longer available.
And it was taken out of the timetables.
The same happened in Britain for trains like the Coronation and the Silver Jubilee (on the LNER).

Maybe some of this stock got damaged from bombing, but most survived.
At the end of the war, the cars were not that useful because they had kitchens for which there were no staff, and seating that was undesirable for transit of large passenger numbers.
In Germany there were no longer any passenger timetables, so they just used cars and engines as required by those in charge.
If any of these cars were dragged out to run, it would have been in sheer desperation or by decree of some British or US general.
So it is possible that the 1928 Rheingold cars could be seen post-war but mixed with other cars, and not in any formation.
As you can imagine, there are unlikely to be railway photographs extant for this period to prove anything one way or another.

Prior to 1950, the Rheingold cars were refurbished with more usual seating and kitchens dismantled, so they were useful for traffic again.
Of course they were painted green (or subsequently blue or red) to match other cars.

Kimball

Edited by user 20 October 2018 11:31:41(UTC)  | Reason: edited pre-1950 colours to agree with Tom's reply

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline H0  
#99 Posted : 20 October 2018 09:09:51(UTC)
H0

Of course they were painted green to match other cars.
Of course they were painted blue or red at first, as they were used for F trains. The green paint came later for some of them when they ended up in local trains. Some were red until they went out of service in the ’80s.

So it is possible that the 1928 Rheingold cars could be seen post-war but mixed with other cars, and not in any formation.
Yes. But I assume there was only a rather small time-frame (still a few years) when they could be seen in the original pre-war livery. Good for era IIIa.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline alistairiancampbell  
#100 Posted : 01 December 2018 13:53:12(UTC)
alistairiancampbell

I was looking at getting one - and they were sold out on all the shops - and then the shops started getting extra stock. I assumed it was because some people reserved them and couldn't pay. I then managed to get one through Lippe, and thanks to the premium membership discount, and saving up all of my store points, I managed to get it for less than $1000 AUD, which meant that I didn't have to pay import tax.

It's an absolutely beautiful kit, and it and my Orient Express do get most of the running around my layout.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by alistairiancampbell