Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2018 08:20:52(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi everyone I hope someone can help me with this strange behaviour of this loco. According to its decoder the item number is 39009, however, when I look it up on the Marklin data base no such item exists. The decoder is mfx+ so it can't be too old.

The strange behaviour is when I set the speed to full speed, the loco moves about 2 cm, stops for about 7 seconds and moves another 2 cms. It repeats this and I don't know what is causing the loco to do this. BTW I have the mfx+ function set at standard so the operational functions are disabled. I've very slightly oiled the wheels and applied a little grease to the motor.

Can anyone please shed some light on this problem.

Thank you in advanced

Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2018 10:54:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Greg

Your loco is Indeed not listed by Märklin. It is a 2016 special edition BR01 in blue https://www.reynaulds.com/products/Marklin/39009.aspx

Regarding the strange behaviour I would try 3 things
- make sure the loco wheels are clean and so is the test track (possible contact problems)
- make sure that no mechanical issues are there. To do this you need to remove the body and then disengage the motor from the loco to check the free rotation of Driving wheels
- reset the loco to factory parameters (sometimes a parameter may change inadvertently)

Good luck
Cheers

Jean
Offline 1borna  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2018 21:25:07(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
Did you try to drive it analogously?
Do you have to look at the lever and wheel position, all in the same position?
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 05 August 2018 21:46:16(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Could be a decoder protecting itself against thermal overload.
That usually happens when carbon from the (too soft) brush material fills up the gaps on the motor commutator.
With the type of motor used on these, It's hard to fix that problem yourself, unless you know how to take the can motor apart and check it.
Otherwise, IMHO time to get a pro take a look at the engine.
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline anthpao  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2018 23:18:36(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
The loco is fine. The decoder is fine. You just have to refuel your loco with sand, water and coal in "World of Operation" mode before you disable this mode by using a CS2 or CS3.
Hope this fix your problem.
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 06 August 2018 05:18:20(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
If the world of operation mode proves not to be the problem, check the smoke unit if one is fitted.

As Jacques said, the decoder can protect itself from overload. I had this on a "faulty" BR39 I purchased years ago. In the manual it was quite specific about the smoke unit orientation when installing, and the previous owner had put it 180 degrees out, causing the overload situation Jacques describes. And the symptoms were the same as yours. Taking out the smoke unit (if fitted) would test the theory. Or alternately removing the loco body to isolate shorts through the body of the loco.

Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 06 August 2018 07:14:45(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: anthpao Go to Quoted Post
The loco is fine. The decoder is fine. You just have to refuel your loco with sand, water and coal in "World of Operation" mode before you disable this mode by using a CS2 or CS3.
Hope this fix your problem.

Thanks for the tip, however this didn't fix the problem - ANOTHER locomotive back to Marklin. After all, I do have to keep up my average of returning at least ONE loco every month. Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 06 August 2018 07:38:25(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Greg, have you lifted the body off and tried it then?
Offline Torrid  
#9 Posted : 09 August 2018 16:23:38(UTC)
Torrid

South Africa   
ARE YOU USING RAILROAD & CO SOFTWARE, I HAVE A GOOD REASON FOR ASKING THIS?
Offline Drongo  
#10 Posted : 10 August 2018 13:11:57(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Torrid Go to Quoted Post
ARE YOU USING RAILROAD & CO SOFTWARE, I HAVE A GOOD REASON FOR ASKING THIS?

I do have Railroad & Co. software, however, at the moment I'm not using it. All I have is a test track connected to an EcoS.

Does this help you?
Offline Torrid  
#11 Posted : 10 August 2018 15:38:03(UTC)
Torrid

South Africa   
Hi, okay TC then does not apply.
I have had a number of decoders "Marklin MFX become unstable when adding the new locos on the system,
they jerk, lights flash and so on. A fix to this seems to be to reboot the CS3 or add the new locos via the listen feature
on Railroad on Co. Unfortunately under listen you need to manually add the loco functions. After 20 months with the CS3 I have not foud a really good solution?Confused I doubt the Ecos will have this problem?
Offline Drongo  
#12 Posted : 16 August 2018 12:11:08(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
The problem has been found - it's a faulty motor. Back to Marklin service under warranty Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing
Offline steventrain  
#13 Posted : 16 August 2018 18:28:25(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
The problem has been found - it's a faulty motor. Back to Marklin service under warranty Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing

Don't worry, It will take about 1-2 months time.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 16 August 2018 18:43:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

If you are lucky, from what I have heard, and am in the process of experiencing with my Insider railbus ... Angry Angry Angry
Offline Torrid  
#15 Posted : 16 August 2018 19:44:24(UTC)
Torrid

South Africa   
Good luck, I have never had to send a Marklin loco for repair.
Once I returned an ESU locomotive for repairs, their after sales service was spectacular, apart from postal delays actual time with ESU was 2 days.
Offline Drongo  
#16 Posted : 17 August 2018 12:48:08(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post

If you are lucky, from what I have heard, and am in the process of experiencing with my Insider railbus ... Angry Angry Angry

If I'm lucky ??? And don't worry, it'll take about 1-2 months time???? Are you joking. The last 2 locos I sent back, Marklin refused to repair them under warranty as they were "dirty" and had been "used too much". Also, it took them 2 months to let me know about this. I've asked to have them returned, without any repairs, and it's been nearly 1 month.

Frankly, I think the service department is inundated with warranty work and that's why they need to build a new service area.
Offline dickinsonj  
#17 Posted : 02 September 2018 02:06:36(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

My Insider VT 95.9 failed very quickly - after just two weeks. It turns out that I was lucky - it was only six months until I had mine back. BigGrin

It seems like a large number of those models have had serious PCB issues which have caused many costly warranty trips. My dealer just tries to cheer me up by reminding me that I have five years to keep sending it back. On a plus note it has been perfect since it came back to me, almost two years ago - fingers crossed because it is a beautiful model. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 02 September 2018 12:32:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

My Insider VT 95.9 failed very quickly - after just two weeks. It turns out that I was lucky - it was only six months until I had mine back. BigGrin

It seems like a large number of those models have had serious PCB issues which have caused many costly warranty trips. My dealer just tries to cheer me up by reminding me that I have five years to keep sending it back. On a plus note it has been perfect since it came back to me, almost two years ago - fingers crossed because it is a beautiful model. Cool

Oh, that is good. Mine failed on its first run, after about a couple of hours.

However I have now been informed by Lokshop that it is back from warranty repair, so will come with my next shipment.
So that makes it about 4 months to repair.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan