Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline andrews  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2018 03:14:19(UTC)
andrews

Does anyone have experience using Azatrax infrared detectors and TS2 or TS2-D signal controllers with Viessmann signals, specifically models 4010, 4011, and 4014? I am planning to set up a section of my layout with 3 or 4 blocks where the movements of the trains control the indications of the block signals. I don't plan to include any kind of train control. It seems this combination should work ok. Any suggestions or lessons learned from experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2018 08:49:55(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Andrew,

I haven’t used the infrared sensors with signals but instead with occupancy detection. For that application it has worked flawless and as reliabable as contact tracks. I don’t recall ever having false signals and whether night or day in train room it works.

I use the options across the track detection. Make sure you install them at an angle (that is not perpendicular to tracks).

If you can find documentation that it should work with Viessmann type signals on their website I am sure it will. Else drop them an email (I got very fast replies from the owner when I had some inquiries.

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline andrews  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2018 01:49:42(UTC)
andrews

Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Andrew,

I haven’t used the infrared sensors with signals but instead with occupancy detection. For that application it has worked flawless and as reliabable as contact tracks. I don’t recall ever having false signals and whether night or day in train room it works.

I use the options across the track detection. Make sure you install them at an angle (that is not perpendicular to tracks).

If you can find documentation that it should work with Viessmann type signals on their website I am sure it will. Else drop them an email (I got very fast replies from the owner when I had some inquiries.

Best Regards
Lasse

Thank you Lasse for the information. The Azatrax people were very helpful. I have ordered the sensors, controllers, power source and signals so I will be trying them out soon. Azatrax did tell me that the the controllers have regulators that limit the output to the signals to 5 volts DC and there are resistors on the circuit boards with values that keep the LED current to a safe level. Therefore, I will have to remove the resistors that come with the Viessmann signals. If I leave the resistors on the signals the LED's will be very dim or may not work at all. I will let you know how the results of the experiment.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by andrews
Offline DTaylor91  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2018 07:07:20(UTC)
DTaylor91

Originally Posted by: andrews Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Andrew,

Best Regards
Lasse

Thank you Lasse for the information. The Azatrax people were very helpful. I have ordered the sensors, controllers, power source and signals so I will be trying them out soon. Azatrax did tell me that the the controllers have regulators that limit the output to the signals to 5 volts DC and there are resistors on the circuit boards with values that keep the LED current to a safe level. Therefore, I will have to remove the resistors that come with the Viessmann signals. If I leave the resistors on the signals the LED's will be very dim or may not work at all. I will let you know how the results of the experiment.

A suggestion: Instead of removing the resistors, especially if they are difficult to remove, or are surface-mount resistors, short them out instead. It'll be faster, and less likely to cause damage. I suggest bridging them with a wire clipping, or using a dab of conductive paint to bridge a surface-mount resistor.

I've never seen the inside of a Viessman signal, so not sure what you'll find.

Hope this saves you time and trouble...
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2018 08:49:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DTaylor91 Go to Quoted Post

The resistors for those types of Viessmann signals (4011, 4012, etc) are soldered to the ends of the signal fly leads, so no problem to remove them.
Offline andrews  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2018 02:31:51(UTC)
andrews

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: DTaylor91 Go to Quoted Post

The resistors for those types of Viessmann signals (4011, 4012, etc) are soldered to the ends of the signal fly leads, so no problem to remove them.

I now have some experience with the Azatrax controllers and the Viessmann signals, so thought I would share my results. 1. The infrared sensors are reliable in dark and bright light conditions. 2. An LED with the resistor attached appears to be just as bright as an LED with the resistor removed. 3. On my test track I have 3 blocks. The eastbound signals are #4012 entry signals wired so each of them alternates between green, red, and yellow, the same as 3-color block signals do here in the US. The westbound signals are #4014 block signals with advance signals, wired so the advance signals are controlled by the aspects of the next home signals. Both types of signals change aspects as expected. Verdict: definitely consider Azatrax products for occupancy detection and signal control.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by andrews